Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

God I really hope this verifies, living 6 miles from the North Sea Snow machine it has been 8 long years since the last Thundersnow here after 2 episodes in 2009 and 2010.

I just want to make a video like this one below :rofl:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
2 minutes ago, Chris101 said:

I said earlier i thought the met had a cold health warning page, certainly be worth keeping an eye on over the coming weeks.:)

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/cold-weather-alert/#?tab=coldWeatherAlert

Hello Chris,

My wife was diagnosed with heart problems last October. Up until then she had been really healthy. Last Tuesday it was raw cold here, but nothing like it is forecast to be next week. She walked up to the local shops with me and our grandson and it really made her feel breathless.

I will have to keep a careful watch on here from late this week onwards and ensure she keeps warm and does not overdo things. At the moment I have mixed feelings as I love extreme weather, especially cold and snowy (but also thunderstorms), but this is tempered by concern for the effects it may have on "her indoors" and others suffering similarly.

Kind regards

Dave

• Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, Weather_Novice said:

Lets face it, it there is no snow or that transient rubbish from this evolution, there could well be a riot on the streets.  I feel there are quite a few expectant folk on here ...

For good reason too. This is a MEAN at day 7 no day 10 nonsense which has come under scrutiny by some of you it hasn’t been pushed back as hours tick by, closer we’re getting! 

F6C77FB1-EFA1-4082-845C-D2DDE7CE5AD0.thumb.png.c9ad0f3bf0e963fa668f9f306dd64109.png0CC73DD8-F4FD-42E5-9E3F-6652D4535291.thumb.png.71296b00ff09002684da44d82ab788a1.png

• Like 1

Posted

Lol Daniel

That is a bit harsh when the Models have been showing it since the first week of February for 8-10 days away, thats 11 days out and with it coming "hopefully" on the 26-28th will be 18 days late. When you predict something long enough it will happen eventually

Ecm from 8th for the 18th (Yesterday) See link below from Ukww

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/118120-model-chat-february-2018/page__view__findpost__p__1038580

Posted
16 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

God I really hope this verifies, living 6 miles from the North Sea Snow machine it has been 8 long years since the last Thundersnow here after 2 episodes in 2009 and 2010.

I just want to make a video like this one below :rofl:

love that video, we had thundersnow here last year, first time in my life i'd seen that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

What a miserable day here today, such a contrast to the last three!

Foggy up at home when I left this morning and persistent rain/drizzle all day long down in town. Breeze is chilly but certainly warmer than the last few days.

Still exciting model watching going on though I see! Literally wishing for this week to be gone and get to Friday evening so I can begin snowflake watch prep (involves gin and snacks) :rofl:

Posted
Just now, lottiekent said:

Still exciting model watching going on though I see! Literally wishing for this week to be gone and get to Friday evening so I can begin snowflake watch prep (involves gin and snacks) :rofl:

My prep will be going to asda on friday to get a few things in preparation, dont need bread or milk so will watch the others fighting over the last loaf while i peacefully stock up on fresh fish for my bird.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

Oh my days mad thread going CRAZY a happy crazy thank goodness

Posted

Yep ECM finally smelling the coffee and we now have everyone aboard the happy ship, all ready to sail now

• Like 3

Posted

just watched lookeast  no mention of any  snow that went up to next tuesday!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather
5 minutes ago, tinybill said:

Now Meteogroup have the contract for providing data for BBC forecasts, I wonder if the quality of forecasting will change? Look east forecast and that on the website look totally wrong going by what the models are showing currently. 

Posted

Looks like the cold will arrive, question is, will we get snow?  It would be gutting to finally have an easterly only for it to remain dry!

Posted

Just the smallest hint of the unspeakable "TS" word off the back of that 12z ECM run

us_model-en-999-0_modez_2018021912_240_5137_108.thumb.png.836e15da9e607008c0a7b13ba750f00b.png

Though nothing especially impressive totals wise it should all of course be taken with a huge dollop of salt at this range

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, suffolkboy_ said:

Now Meteogroup have the contract for providing data for BBC forecasts, I wonder if the quality of forecasting will change? Look east forecast and that on the website look totally wrong going by what the models are showing currently. 

Maybe they just don't want to start a panic, they want all the bread and milk to themselves.

Posted

Just been in the MAD thread, and my God, are they excited little kids or what. They are going so overboard with this cold snap. The Meto dont seem overly excited just yet. Everyone knows things will go tits up nearer the time, as it's still way off and the charts throw up these pictures on purpose I'm sure just to wind these people up. ! 

I do love watching them get so excited then the very next day,when the charts change, and they always do, they become  almost suicidal.

i am aware that there is now cross Model  agreement on the cold Easterly arriving, and I'm having a bad day hence my moody rant.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
27 minutes ago, tinybill said:

lookeast aren't looking east enough

Posted
9 minutes ago, fatyido said:

Just been in the MAD thread, and my God, are they excited little kids or what. They are going so overboard with this cold snap. The Meto dont seem overly excited just yet. Everyone knows things will go tits up nearer the time, as it's still way off and the charts throw up these pictures on purpose I'm sure just to wind these people up. ! 

I do love watching them get so excited then the very next day,when the charts change, and they always do, they become  almost suicidal.

i am aware that there is now cross Model  agreement on the cold Easterly arriving, and I'm having a bad day hence my moody rant.

Thats because the meto only jump on at a short range, give it a few days and they will be the same as they are always behind on the models.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
3 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

lookeast aren't looking east enough

they need a telescope 

Posted
  • Location: Woodham Walter Essex,between Danbury and Maldon 42 m asl
  • Location: Woodham Walter Essex,between Danbury and Maldon 42 m asl
23 minutes ago, snowking said:

Just the smallest hint of the unspeakable "TS" word off the back of that 12z ECM run

us_model-en-999-0_modez_2018021912_240_5137_108.thumb.png.836e15da9e607008c0a7b13ba750f00b.png

Though nothing especially impressive totals wise it should all of course be taken with a huge dollop of salt at this range

Yes! Huge Salt dollops on steps and driveway !

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Grotty day here, rain on and off all day and grey skies. Tomorrow doesn’t look great, either. 

After that.......if the crazy posts on the mad thread are to be believed, we are on the cusp of The Day After Tomorrow. All these, admittedly amazing charts being churned out still show the real cold in FI, so I’m not taking anything for granted lol. It’s gone tits up waaaay too many times. Pretty cold if modelling is correct, though! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
54 minutes ago, tinybill said:

Then their not looking east :rofl:

edit - Lassie beat me to it 30mins ago :pardon:

Edited by Mark wheeler

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
39 minutes ago, Dbarb said:

Thats because the meto only jump on at a short range, give it a few days and they will be the same as they are always behind on the models.

That’s not strictly true, they obviously have a much better understanding than us of the models and have access to far more data. 

Simply, they won’t tout any severe cold until they are 100 % sure it will happen. If they call a big freeze with disruption and it doesn’t happen the implications could be massive for them. I’d imagine they will start putting out tentative warnings come the end of the week. 

BBC forecasts on the other hand are a bit of a joke, may as well look at an app past 3 days. 

Edited by shotski
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, shotski said:

That’s not strictly true, they obviously have a much better understanding than us of the models and have access to far more data. 

Simply, they won’t tout any severe cold until they are 100 % sure it will happen. If the call a big freeze with disruption and it doesn’t happen the implications could be massive for them. I’d imagine they will start putting out tentative warnings come the end of the week. 

Have you been on there website there already releasing press releases about the coming cold spell!!!

• Like 2