Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Is everyone going to stock up again for the upcoming easterly plunge, some places may get cut off from the civilised world for some considerable time, I noticed yesterday talk of 80-100cm of snow, thats not drifts, they would be much higher?:unknw:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
18 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

for some reason, this news does not surprise me.

Great Yarmouth could get snowed in I think.:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

As usual a Day10 chart being over analysed and focussed over on the MAD thread. 10 whole days away..... dear god! 

Whilst turning colder back end of next week looks a very good call - until the fantasy blizzard biting cold charts are pumping out at T72 - I’ve had enough practice and seen it all before to raise excitement.

Chart that’s 10 days away = eye candy - nothing more! 

If it’s there this time next Sunday - I will happily quote this post and admit defeat.

but I bet I won’t have to. 

Posted
6 minutes ago, snowray said:

Is everyone going to stock up again for the upcoming easterly plunge, some places may get cut off from the civilised world for some considerable time, I noticed yesterday talk of 80-100cm of snow, thats not drifts, they would be much higher?:unknw:

on what day is the snow expected to start, because i will go and stock up on the day before that because my bird has to have fresh meat/fish, also i need fresh vegetables for stew.i would also get a few containers of longlife milk.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely
3 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

As usual a Day10 chart being over analysed and focussed over on the MAD thread. 10 whole days away..... dear god! 

Whilst turning colder back end of next week looks a very good call - until the fantasy blizzard biting cold charts are pumping out at T72 - I’ve had enough practice and seen it all before to raise excitement.

If it’s there this time next Sunday - I will happily quote this post and admit defeat.

Ben, I totally agree with you mate. I've been a member for a few years now and seen many charts like this before and when day 10 comes boom it's then another 10 days. You will always get members who always think their right lol! If Like you this time next week if we will be in a cold plunge I'll put my hand up say I was wrong but I won't need too. These are just fantasty charts that never come off 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Building blocks are in place long before day 10 on the ECM,it’s a logical evolution if you follow the run from the start.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

What I love about the current charts is it screams Thames Streamer territory.. Very cold uppers, low heights, convection rate should be decent, somewhere could do very, very well in this. 

Assuming the deeper cold reaches us, of course! I start a driving job tomorrow so this is going to be an absolute nightmare for me, but I also kinda don't mind, I want snow.

Frosts last couple of days/through this week will help prep the ground for settling, too!

Edited by Daniel Smith
  • Like 1

Posted

jenny any help the first sign of good proper snow  for us is about 162 hr if its right!!

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=2&ech=6

gfs-2-162.png

Edited by tinybill

Posted
4 minutes ago, tinybill said:

jenny any help the first sign of good proper snow  for us is about 162 hr if its right!!

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=2&ech=6

Thanks, TB, that does help, so a shop run Thursday/Friday if this is still showing by Wednesday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Only 5 days out and we have this on our door step. If your hoping for six foot drifts and sub zero temperatures you may always be disappointed. To me, this looks great. 

571C746F-B104-4053-8FCB-4D1B59C64684.png

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

Thanks, TB, that does help, so a shop run Thursday/Friday if this is still showing by Wednesday

I think it will be a lot clearer exactly whats what by Monday/Tuesday. If we do get the really heavy snow it will go mad in here but most of the population will be oblivious until they see it with their own eyes. But it will be too late, the shelves for things like bread and milk will be empty for those that don't react quickly!:closedeyes:

My worry is for Steve M, he could be coming back to a country in chaos next Saturday, snow at the Airport, food shortages, roads blocked by heavy snowfall.:unsure2:

Edited by snowray

Posted
9 minutes ago, snowray said:

I think it will be a lot clearer exactly whats what by Monday/Tuesday. If we do get the really heavy snow it will go mad in here but most of the population will be oblivious until they see it with their own eyes. But it will be too late, the shelves for things like bread and milk will be empty for those that don't react quickly!:closedeyes:

Those who want sliced bread can even go earlier and freeze it in clear plastic bags in four slices, it can then be used straight from the freezer for toast also fresh milk freezes well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

80-100cm of snow in the SE is farcical at best. That's a couple of times a season dump for high ski resorts.

My head says we should expect obligatory downgrades in the days to come and we end up with a chilly, but mainly dry spell with some snow around. I'd be happy with a decent covering that lasts a couple of days would be good. My heart says bring on the 3 feet of lying snow!

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, JennyJane1 said:

Those who want sliced bread can even go earlier and freeze it in clear plastic bags in four slices, it can then be used straight from the freezer for toast also fresh milk freezes well.

Thats exactly what I do with the bread, great idea, I also have milk in the freezer now, just in case. I mean we won't starve but there is nothing worse than arriving at a supermarket or store and they have run out of the staples, I mean empty shelves can create riots. Remember people have traded their Rolex watches for some bead and milk when times are hard like in war time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
3 minutes ago, C_Scotty said:

80-100cm of snow in the SE is farcical at best. That's a couple of times a season dump for high ski resorts.

My head says we should expect obligatory downgrades in the days to come and we end up with a chilly, but mainly dry spell with some snow around. I'd be happy with a decent covering that lasts a couple of days would be good. My heart says bring on the 3 feet of lying snow!

Where did 80-100 cm of snow come from ? No model I’ve looked at is showing this. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, C_Scotty said:

Yes thats an extreme amount of snow that would break records since records began for the SE of England, but there was talk of this yesterday, Steve M posted about it too.:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

I've never had issues with a whole loaf of frozen bread, slight prize with a knife and a slice comes off easy enough.

My family freeze milk too, even in the summer :cc_confused: I don't like the taste of defrosted milk for some reason?! Does anyone else notice a difference

Funny how an easterly brings on a food discussion lol

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, C_Scotty said:

IF*** The ECM landed as per 00z today -The uniform totals in the SE would easily top 30cm with the jackpot areas well over 50cm- Elevated North downs could take a stab @100cm

But this will only happen in a clean easterly - 

ECM has -17c air over +7c water = 24c thermal gradient & very very low heights

its essentially lake effect snow. It would be a once in a 50 year event

( rem southend had 70cm of snow is 87 )

more realistically though if it doesnt come in clean with the odd blocking shortwave then yes usual low amount will be the order of the day- only the extreme end of the cone of probability is the clean perfect outcome...

Edited by Steve Murr
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
1 minute ago, The East has Ceased said:

I've never had issues with a whole loaf of frozen bread, slight prize with a knife and a slice comes off easy enough.

My family freeze milk too, even in the summer :cc_confused: I don't like the taste of defrosted milk for some reason?! Does anyone else notice a difference

see, i would have to freeze it in fewer slices because i would probably cut myself with the knife, being very clumsy. never noticed that defrosted milk tastes different, i just shake it.other things to stock up on - stock cubes and vegetables and stew meat

toilet rolls and washing up liquid

pet food

tea/coffee/hot chocolate

cans of soup

Posted
2 minutes ago, The East has Ceased said:

No I have found frozen milk to be ok, I don't freeze much, just enough to keep me going if I'm not in the mood to go shopping. As far as bread is concerned, I used to chuck so much old bread out because it became stale, but now I buy good quality bread and freeze half straight away, got a slicer here so always make sure you have cut it into slices first. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
56 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Just 6-8 days now depending on your choice of poison. :p

I think we will see an event which we haven't seen in a long time at least in terms of how widespread the affected areas will be.

Personally I think the ECM suite looks a decent call woth deeper cold arrive by the end of next weekend. Ice days will be possible (especially if we get a decent amount of snow).

No point guess snow amounts, but enough to be disruptive would be a gopd guess.

Okay 10cm at low levels widely perhaps. Or at least as much as I would feel necessary. Monster totals (1ft+) would be more of an inconvenience than anything else and I think others may jse stronger language. However this time I think we should be at least prepared for a major snow event.

• Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

IF*** The ECM landed as per 00z today -The uniform totals in the SE would easily top 30cm with the jackpot areas well over 50cm- Elevated North downs could take a stab @100cm

But this will only happen in a clean easterly - 

ECM has -17c air over +7c water = 24c thermal gradient & very very low heights

its essentially lake effect snow. It would be a once in a 50 year event

more realistically though if it doesnt come in clean with the odd blocking shortwave then yes usual low amount will be the order of the day- only the extreme end of the cone of probability is the clean perfect outcome...

There you got, from the horses mouth. No one said it will happen for sure, but there is potential for these amounts.

Hope you had a good night Steve and your not too hung over.:D

7 minutes ago, snowray said:

There you got, from the horses mouth. No one said it will happen for sure, but there is potential for these amounts.

Hope you had a good night Steve and your not too hung over.:D

A bit messy- happy hour on pitchers of cocktails is never going to end well, my wallet started of ok - now if I threw it out of the window it would float down...

Anyway...

Official depths was west malling 52cm however thats to far away into main kent - High up & further east was more

2CD6C6C4-7198-4C37-9D5B-427ECF4D7D4D.thumb.png.33a56a0819f65ffb492da622d079f455.png

Anyway - lets actually get the cold here first & worry about probability of snow & depths afted- Thats all dreamland stuff !!

Most would be glad of a dusting but seeing as the SSW is record breaking then lets utilise it as best as possible...

** Also just to add 1991 in lowly Eltham we had just over 30cm of snow - so places like bluebell hill would have easily been double that..

Edited by Steve Murr
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Woodham Walter Essex,between Danbury and Maldon 42 m asl
  • Location: Woodham Walter Essex,between Danbury and Maldon 42 m asl

87 gave 2 ft of level snow at heybridge Essex , and the sea froze.

Schools shut for a week, I always remember the BBC had a mini series called "Anzacs "on telly box , shown in the afternoons. 

Dad was off work ( teacher) so we all watched it as there was nothing else to do.

surprisingly, I don't remember the power going off, but that would be my only concern if we got a significant Cold event now, severely autistic son would struggle without the computer .

• Like 1