Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
3 hours ago, lawrenk said:

Jan ‘87 is still the best and coldest snowy spell I’ve experienced.

I can remember the snow showers starting in the afternoon as I walked home from school and then being off for, I’m sure a week, afterwards. And those were the days when schools didn’t shut when there was just a cm on the ground!

Indeed! Froze were the days!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
7 hours ago, lawrenk said:

I can remember the snow showers starting in the afternoon as I walked home from school and then being off for, I’m sure a week, afterwards. And those were the days when schools didn’t shut when there was just a cm on the ground!

Me too, I didn't even mind when my birthday party was cancelled. In fact it's my best birthday memory, my parents took me to the pub for pizza instead. I was born when it was knee deep in January '79.

• Like 1

Morning gang, 

This morning marks the 3rd consecutive frost on the trot. The longest all winter in terms of back to back frosts. Funny how we chase cold at 5-6-7-10 days away when it's actually beautiful typical winter weather now. 

Yesterday was absolutely stunning on top of Marlow hill and being able to watch the sunrise and beautiful white hard frost on everything. 

If we have a frost tonight which I think we might it will be the 4th frost on the trot, in terms of actual minimum temperature it's nothing unusual but we haven't had that many frosts in a row all winter here.. 

• Like 2

Posted
8 hours ago, lawrenk said:

I missed jan 87 because i was abroad but my family told me about it, my mother walked to work knee deep in it.

Posted

Even though their is alot of support from the met-office, BBC, Net weather posters and more for this cold spell to come into fruition this is still a long way away in modelling terms.  People have been talking about what models are showing in 10+ days time getting excited, chasing rainbows until this cold spell digs in its difficult to know what to expect and for those chasing snow their still could be some big disapointments.  Saying that the weather was lovely yesterday, 10 degrees no wind and sunshine.  Same for today going out at mid day is reminiscent of a late spring or early summer morning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Gorgeous morning here again, loving this late winter sunshine and blue skies. Another overnight frost is now rapidly melting. The current temperature is 4C with barely any wind.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days
43 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

I missed jan 87 because i was abroad but my family told me about it, my mother walked to work knee deep in it.

43 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

Yes, I’ll always remember when it started. It was one of those magical days when every snow shower was heavier than the one before and it just piled up.

Never seen drifts by the side of the main road like that either, before or since.

I think the McCaskill forecast for the period is still on YouTube, which is worth a look.

• Like 2

Posted
49 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

Lived in Southend-on-Sea at the time. It just seemed to ? for days on end during that exceptional snowy spell. We lived in a close and everyone came out to dig trenches through the snow so that we could access the main road. Snow cleared from the roads produced walls of the stuff. Massive icicles as thick as an arm that reached from gutter to ground.

A truly extraordinary snow event, which I doubt I will see again in my lifetime.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
20 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Gorgeous morning here again, loving this late winter sunshine and blue skies. Another overnight frost is now rapidly melting. The current temperature is 4C with barely any wind.

:yahoo: Finally a dry sunny Saturday.. 

• Like 1

Good morning all hope everyone is well. Nice ☀️ Start to the day here in Walthamstow had a frost early morning which is melting now.

i must say this is going to the most tence few days coming up. We are so close to getting in grips with a. Bitterly cold easterly and I feel so exhausted now from waiting for this to happen. I really really hope from my heart that this comes to verefy, we have all known the failed easterlies that always give up on the last minute. I think in our region we are the best place for this set up. 

Anyway I am biting my nails now lol ? that's how tense I feel am I about to sit a final exam nope I am waiting for that beast from the east. 

Lets hope this all comes together the wait for my winter wonderland continues. 

Wishing you all a wonderful Saturday what ever you do. 

All the best kind regards 

????

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Morning all,

Back home in Lee, London, SE12 now, after spending the best part of 2 weeks, looking after my son, who has Huntingtons' Disease, four cats and house sitting, in Chislehurst. My daughter and her boyfriend, flew home from Toronto yesterday after their holiday. Well they certainly got their snow fix, 6+ inches of snow, during their stay and a bout of freezing rain too and some bitterly cold temperatures. Now it's turning milder there, as the Polar Vortex, eases away, from that part of Canada.

Only had, the lightest of wintry showers, on my arrival in Chislehurst. But let's hope, we all get to see some snow, in the next couple of weeks. If we manage to attain an ENE flow in the next few weeks, although not quite the altitude of Chislehurst or as cold, Lee is still in a good location, for that direction of flow,

Although, my wife and I, didn't get to see any snow, in Chislehurst, we got to spend some real quality time, with my son.:) 

Just want to quote a post now, I put on the Moans/Ramp thread, a few says ago,

"Just want to make reference, to a post by winterof79, on the Mod Thread last night, that he thought the synoptic evolution expected, in the next week or two, was similar, to Jan 1987. I've been thinking the same myself. I have newspaper clippings of weather forecasts, from papers, such as The Times, Daily Telegraph and it's obvious, from the predicted outlook, that forecast models and the Met Office, were struggling big time, to come to a consensus. The further outlook changed 3 times, in as many days, from, "becoming colder ", to "becoming milder,  to "becoming colder " again!!

If you view the synoptic pattern, in the lead up to the Jan 1987, it's a very complex pattern, that developed. As now, seemingly, the appearance of an Arctic high, was involved, I'm not sure if there had been an SSW, though.

I'm not saying that an easterly, will definitely come to fruition but the dropping and picking up, the easterly signal and, like Jan 1987, suggests the models are having, a major headache, at the moment.

Nor am I expecting, any cold/snowy spell, that develops, will have as much impact as Jan 1987, after all we're coming to the end of Winter now, unlike Jan 1987!!"

Just want to draw your attention, to the bold type.

Regards,

Tom :hi:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I'm not even caring about the snow risk. What is funny is i joked about rain on Monday and it seems it may now, right in the morning \o/ 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Dami said:

I'm not even caring about the snow risk. What is funny is i joked about rain on Monday and it seems it may now, right in the morning \o/ 

GFS 6Z has joined the party!

-17 uppers approaching Kent!:cold:

Posted

Just for fun but -19s close to the Kent/Sussex coast on the GFS.

WTF.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, D.V.R said:

:yahoo: Finally a dry sunny Saturday.. 

Had to blink a few times in case my eyes were lying, lol. Stunner of a day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

yeah but this cold is days out right? Just like the last 'cold' gave a touch of sleet?  C'mon. Wake me up a few days before when it's actually gonna happen.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Looking Good . For once it’s us that should be in the firing line .

UK Outlook for Thursday 22 Feb 2018 to Saturday 3 Mar 2018:

Dry with sunny spells throughout the second half of the week, with overnight frosts, along with patchy mist and freezing fog. However, outbreaks of rain or drizzle along with some hill snow and stronger winds are possible at times across northwestern areas. Temperatures will turn colder for most by the end of the week, with wind from the east or southeast. The cold weather will be mainly dry initially with a chance of snow flurries in the east/southeast. Over next weekend and following week there is an increase chance of snow for many, especially in the south and east. The location and timing of any snowfall will be uncertain until much nearer the time. However, some milder unsettled weather still may occur at times, especially in the west and northwest.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, JennyJane1 said:

I lived in South Africa back in 1987 , I came back for Christmas with my parents God it was cold . A week after we went back  my grandad passed then the snow started they couldn't have the funeral for a few weeks the ground was frozen . We were sent photos and the amount of snow was unbelievable.  That was Doncaster S Yorkshire , I've  never experienced that amount snow don't know what I would do , I get excited for a covering so im really hoping this comes of but wont hold my breath untill it gets a little closer .

Posted
2 hours ago, Weather_Novice said:

Lived in Southend-on-Sea at the time. It just seemed to ? for days on end during that exceptional snowy spell. We lived in a close and everyone came out to dig trenches through the snow so that we could access the main road. Snow cleared from the roads produced walls of the stuff. Massive icicles as thick as an arm that reached from gutter to ground.

A truly extraordinary snow event, which I doubt I will see again in my lifetime.

strange how many of us are from southend, it was priory park my mother walked in knee deep snow on her way to Access on the side.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, JennyJane1 said:

strange how many of us are from southend, it was priory park my mother walked in knee deep snow on her way to Access on the side.

Didn’t realise either. Access blimey that’s a blast from the past, now a housing estate/pub of course. Ahh the memories.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Southender said:

Didn’t realise either. Access blimey that’s a blast from the past, now a housing estate/pub of course. Ahh the memories.

Is it? I haven't been back in many years, hear the seafront has changed beyond recognition too.I did a few summers at Access as well as a student.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Oh please just happen, once in a lifetime event?

21A63E5D-DFA2-4F84-B8BB-415A6882CE07.png

• Like 2