Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love hot sunshine and cold snowy weather
2 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

keep out of the mod thread until Sunday, if you want to stay off medication

I work for a community adult mental health team; an email was circulated today stressing there is a nationwide shortage of most antidepressants and only a few of the ‘old style’ that cause bad side effects....?? We need to advertise other interventions that can be just as effective including avoidance of weather model watching (suggested replacement the all new on trend ‘mindfulness’!)

Sod the mindfulness ‘WHERES MY RAGING EASTERLY BLIZZARD IT SHOULD BE HERE BY NOW!!’ ?????

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Daniel* said:

They have their in house model MOGREPS it’s the main thing they go by. Exeter are confident therefore you should take note of this! I haven’t seen anything as bullish as their written outlooks in many years,

I will only take note at T96 and lower and only when there is cross model agreement not charts that are T168 away. I dont doubt winds will swing easterly or south easterly, lets get to the end of the weekend before the champagne is opened 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!

Meto have been saying Easterly winds for quite sometime now and now there's the update of WILL and even the word SIGNIFICANT in terms of snowfall for the Southern and Eastern areas! I've never seem this kind of bullish forecast from them in recent years...... so let's see!!x

• Like 5

Posted

Weather report dark and cold. 

3 hours ago, weathergeek said:

Meto have been saying Easterly winds for quite sometime now and now there's the update of WILL and even the word SIGNIFICANT in terms of snowfall for the Southern and Eastern areas! I've never seem this kind of bullish forecast from them in recent years...... so let's see!!x

Indeed!!

I think it’s been over a week they’ve mentioning the possibility of prevailing wind direction being easterly and it may turn very colder, the latest says it ‘will’ so confidence is high. It’s easy to be pessimistic if you’re from SE I genuinely think we’re going to get our break later than we’d preferably like but deep cold no issue, I think coldest weather could be in first week of March. 

4F23CEDF-47C9-469C-A03B-08EDEF249A24.thumb.jpeg.30fef30ea9c05ec3ec50a5f8c9c30721.jpeg

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted
14 hours ago, The East has Ceased said:

Bugger, mum asked for the forecast for today to stick a whole load of washing out, checked the radar and it looked clearish, forecast showed zero chance of rain all day on nw, went to check the radar again and that hail band looks to have intensified and will clip me here but only just! Sods law better get the stuff back in in a mo, now that she's at work

That’s to do with the strengthening sun I’ve noticed convection skies start making an appearance. We can get showers that spark off at random by solar heating, air on the lower atmosphere warms, rises as it’s less dense and condenses into shower clouds. By March it’s really apparent, not easily forecastable. Some lively showers passed through here around midday. Suddenly it went from a lovely day with blue skies, to the complete contrast April showers sort.

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted

Beautiful, clear and frosty start at Greatstone.

Sometimes it's just nice to go outside and appreciate the weather as it is now rather than going through the emotional rollercoaster of model watching.

Great day to get some fresh air in your lungs, have a good one :)

IMG_0005.JPG

Edited by kentcloud
  • Like 9

Posted

Just preparing in case there is a big snowstorm, seen the totals for this area and if it comes off itll paralyze the infrastructure.Baby bird is three days old, just had a look at him and he's all toasty underneath his mummy. Awww.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Lovely day here again, loads of sunshine and blue skies. Currently 7C with light winds from the WSW.

Posted

Models are all over the place at the moment. The MetO are aware of the SSW influence and have updated their remarkable colder outlook:

Updated: 04:39 on Fri 16 Feb 2018 GMT 

Dry, but often bright weather will dominate across the UK throughout next week, with overnight frosts becoming widespread.

However, it will turn much colder by the end of the week and into the following week, as the wind tends to turn east or southeasterly in direction. Wintry showers may develop,with the potential for some significant snowfalls focused on southern, central or eastern areas.

In first week of March, it is likely to stay cold with widespread overnight frost. There will be a greater chance than usual of easterly winds developing, which would bring very cold weather at times and the potential for some snowfall in eastern and even southern parts.

• Like 4

Posted

Lovely morning here woke to harsh frost.  Just got into car to go to lunch it's been sitting in the sun and the temp on the dash read 22c lol. Dropped down to 8.5c when I got moving but the sun through the car window is lovely and warm. 

Roll on spring

• Like 1

Posted

Lovely sunny day here, can hear the suns warmth expanding the roof tiles and gutters.

Unfortunately i am stuck indoors designing a firework display for The Brits afterparty at the O2 next week, of which i could really do with a slight East/South Easterly on the day, is there any way of getting that sorted:rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

https://amz.nwstatic.co.uk/monthly_2018_02/IMG_1516.PNG.a8b169254a512d2f6e15da4663aca337.PNG

If this comes off.......brrrrrr!! Get those thermal knickers out lol.

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

bbc say it's a matter of when not if the easterlies arrive, are easterlies still cold in june:rofl:

Ooh, easterlies in June might be nice for the allotment (if no North Sea cloudy muck).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!

What a beautiful day after a very frosty start. Perfect! Can actually feel the warmth in the sun. 

It's days like today that make me long for summer...Although I wouldn't grumble at ice days and a foot of powder snow! :whistling:

• Like 4

Posted
42 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

bbc say it's a matter of when not if the easterlies arrive, are easterlies still cold in june:rofl:

i guess so becausei saw a snow blizzard in june in chessington when i was a little girl.

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Lovely day here again, loads of sunshine and blue skies. Currently 7C with light winds from the WSW.

I feel we really need a chance to dry out around here. Walks in the park with the dog continue to be a mud bath for walker and walkee, so days like today are very welcome. I am happy to have a beasterly (would love it in fact), but as others have said, if it turns into 2 degrees and raining, well, can we stick to what we have today instead as a very acceptable runner up, or perhaps even the outcome of choice. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

https://amz.nwstatic.co.uk/monthly_2018_02/IMG_1516.PNG.a8b169254a512d2f6e15da4663aca337.PNG

If this comes off.......brrrrrr!! Get those thermal knickers out lol.

No doubt our BBC SE Weather people would be saying “showers, maybe some even wintry”.:cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
18 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

i guess so becausei saw a snow blizzard in june in chessington when i was a little girl.

sure it wasn't animal dandruff blowing in the wind

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

The media is going crazy over the ssw, I’m sure if anything does happen it will be another beautiful pasting for up north again and rain and gales for us down here. On to today. Today has been beautiful probably one of the best days of winter, still on the chillyish side 10degrees. It’s not cold but you can still feel that bite in the air.My kids saw the sun and have been out playing nearly all day on bikes and with their balls. My kids aren’t your regular in door species they love the outside roaming the urban jungle :D