Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
26 minutes ago, snowray said:

Surely Blue bell hill the place to be looking at the very heavy PPN blob on the radar, just gone past Maidstone...any reports?:good:

The odd wet flake with the rain and sleet, that's all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
Just now, Kent Blizzard said:

The odd wet flake with the rain and sleet, that's all.

Oh well, it looked really good on the radar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Dew points are largely above freezing across the region

pointrosee_uk.thumb.png.62250059d1b639f25dc3c2dc8fae6e09.png

Temperatures are "okay"

temp_uk.thumb.png.773b4cf9bb2d8edfb5e6cf3929530e4a.png

If even elevated areas are seeing sleety rain, there's not much hope for the majority. Nothing but rain here at lower levels, there never was much risk of snow for us from this system.

Posted
30 minutes ago, snowray said:

Surely Blue bell hill the place to be looking at the very heavy PPN blob on the radar, just gone past Maidstone...any reports?:good:

Just looking on my ring doorbell webcam at home and it just looks wet to me sadly

Posted

wait for it 10 days away here we go again t240 hours!!!!!!!!! wonderful synoptics oh for gawd sake really. lets get excited at t96

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Jimmyh said:

wait for it 10 days away here we go again t240 hours!!!!!!!!! wonderful synoptics oh for gawd sake really. lets get excited at t96

Things are poised at day 6/7 I wouldn’t call that far FI confidence growing now of an easterly next week.

788D4559-363F-4456-AEF4-6ED91DFA1371.thumb.gif.69e43d4810ed97a09d7fa8bbb15e3ef9.gif

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Jimmyh said:

Plenty of time to be led up and down, up and down the soggy garden path ... 
I am pessimistic unfortunately as it is so rare for these "extreme" charts to come off.   

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Was up at Coolings Garden centre at Knockholt about 12ish and it was snowing there and Knockholt village but down at Pratts Bottom just rain/sleet.Amazing the difference about 60m elevation makes!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
6 minutes ago, Hotspur61 said:

Was up at Coolings Garden centre at Knockholt about 12ish and it was snowing there and Knockholt village but down at Pratts Bottom just rain/sleet.Amazing the difference about 60m elevation makes!!

Yes even 60m can make a big difference, every 100m is roughly 1c, so that can be the difference between rain/sleet and snow.

Posted
2 minutes ago, snowray said:

Yes even 60m can make a big difference, every 100m is roughly 1c, so that can be the difference between rain/sleet and snow.

Really every metre can make a difference however I can’t say that at 5m ASL to me 50 meters ASL seems dizzying I need the real deal. :laugh:

Edited by Daniel*

Posted
11 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Really every metre can make a difference however I can’t say that at 5m ASL to me 50 meters ASL seems dizzying I need the real deal. :laugh:

At 5m asl in London and close to the river Thames I would say that you are in one of the worst locations on here for snowfall Daniel. Even here at 40m I have seen snow falling and settling and yet at sea level by the Thames it been just wet snow and sleet, back in the 90's I remember heavy wet snow in Greenwich down by the Cutty Sark, not settling though as it was all wet but up on Blackheath there was thick snow, not sure how high blackheath actually is though. And when I got back here there was about 3 inches of snow.

Edited by snowray

Posted
11 minutes ago, snowray said:

At 5m asl in London and close to the river Thames I would say that you are in one of the worst locations on here for snowfall Daniel. Even here at 40m I have seen snow falling and settling and yet at sea level by the Thames it been just wet snow and sleet, back in the 90's I remember heavy wet snow in Greenwich down by the Cutty Sark, not settling though as it was all wet but up on Blackheath there was thick snow, not sure how high blackheath actually is though. And when I got back here there was about 3 inches of snow.

Probably however it’s often a little bit colder as I’m next to a woodland, despite being quite central too the worst place is definitely Central London. It does make a slight difference being a little tiny bit inland I’m not really, I’m less than a mile from the Thames. I’ve passed through Greenland dock and it’s rain/sleet and at home it’s wet snow despite no elevation change and literally being a little walk from the other side of the road, it’s really strange the local variation. Blackheath had a covering on the 10th of December I got photos sent, while I had a slushy nondescript layer, what excites me by ECM is that it brings in some very cold air.. and it’s not been the only model to do this. 

Edited by Daniel*

Posted

The Dutton has spoken:

@liamdutton Sudden stratospheric warming has taken place 10-50km up in stratosphere. More often than not (66% of time), it increases risk of colder than normal weather and high pressure 10-14 days later. Weather models showing signs of this later in Feb. Could be 'interesting.' Stay tuned!

Thoughts return to the man in Marlow buying three sledges.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

LOL, I’m 17 BSL, In canvey, so it has to be perfect for settling snow in canvey ?

Edited by Justin123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love hot sunshine and cold snowy weather
3 minutes ago, FiftyShadesofSnow said:

16.20 and I'm sure I just saw the first toy thrown out the pram in the MAD thread...deary me.

‘Toy’ no it was the whole blinking shop... tsk tsk! 

Posted
1 hour ago, lassie23 said:

easterlies :shok::cold:

Yes, easterlies, but like I posted earlier, for Italy, Greece, Turkey, etc.....:shok:

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

More runs needed.....

gfs-1-198.png

gfs-2-198.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)
3 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Probably however it’s often a little bit colder as I’m next to a woodland, despite being quite central too the worst place is definitely Central London. It does make a slight difference being a little tiny bit inland I’m not really, I’m less than a mile from the Thames. I’ve passed through Greenland dock and it’s rain/sleet and at home it’s wet snow despite no elevation change and literally being a little walk from the other side of the road, it’s really strange the local variation. Blackheath had a covering on the 10th of December I got photos sent, while I had a slushy nondescript layer, what excites me by ECM is that it brings in some very cold air.. and it’s not been the only model to do this. 

I can vouch for the fact that Central London is undoubtedly the worst place! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)
2 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

soaked , cold and need a hot bath ... work was outside today and the wind is nasty mixed with the very cold rain ! Is anyone near the big fire in Northolt? Could see the smoke still bellowing from where I was working 

What fire?

(EDIT: Eeek! Nasty fire!)

Edited by Sno' problem

Posted
18 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

What day are we at now ?

Have we advanced from the Day 10-12 ?

March soon People!

We finally get there in the end..........D13!:yahoo:

:D:cold::bomb:

gfs-0-312.png

gfs-1-312.png

gfs-2-312.png

gfs-2-348.png

gfs-2-360.png

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

Thanks for the link Queeny, nothing about this on the BBC, strange.

• Like 1