Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 11/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
4 minutes ago, kentcloud said:

Hi Daniel, I would say that is a horrible chart, cold rain, windy, slow moving front maybe a little sleet with elevation in the south-east. Yuk! 

Slow moving is good I wouldn’t be so dismissive it’s unusual complex set up. With snow bearing parameters within the range of interest. We will have to see less favoured perhaps. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Net-Wx-SR is the only high resolution model that snows the potential for snow for us tomorrow, but I've found it tends to vastly overdo the risk at times

SR.thumb.png.cc1f073a13a51d4cd9382cdac8cb0630.png

Posted
35 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Slow moving is good I wouldn’t be so dismissive it’s unusual complex set up. With snow bearing parameters within the range of interest. We will have to see less favoured perhaps. 

Whatever floats your boat I guess and tomorrow might just do that :D. I look at it as several windy, rainy and cold dog walks tomorrow, good luck to anyone that sees any snow out of the set-up, certainly don't expect to see anything but rain in my location. 

Edited by kentcloud

Posted
2 hours ago, Steve C said:

Daniel, I don't ignore anybody (unless they were stalking me for some God only knows reason) I think ignoring is a bit childish.

My analogy would be something like, say you were sitting at a bar, or in a cafe and strangers were talking about a subject you were interested in but said something you disagreed with. Fine to introduce yourself and state why you disagreed. They'd probably enjoy the debate. Would you really introduce yourself with "What planet are you on?" though. Really?

Neither have I used that function surprisingly but you very infrequently post here now. I’m not a confrontational person I do like having an opinion and well I’m not afraid to share it with good intent. Keyboard warrior has been thrown about a few times, which made me giggle. :) 

We are all unique I’d rather be how I am than be like sheep. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow

Come on guys please be respectful of each other it spoils the community spirit. Each of you bring something to the table. Let it be snow ice and sledges not slanging matches and unpleasantries 

Edited by snowfish1
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

it's either an early taste of spring or freezing temps and blizzards with the models, i think they need switching off and on again

Edited by lassie23

Posted

A lovely sunny day, up to 6c but noticed the snow grains from yesterday evening and the frost stayed in the shady bit of the garden all day. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings

Been a lovely day here , not a cloud in the sky. 

Are we expecting any more snow events or do we think that's it for another Winter?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

A beautiful day with plenty of sunshine after a frosty start. 

Now on a more serious note, can we please calm things down a little bit. We are all here for the same reason. Our love of the british weather (Whatever our desired climatatic conditions may be.), we have different tastes and different degrees of knowledge in regards to meteorology. Can we please keep things friendly as this would be to the benefit of everyone. 

Thankyou :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
5 minutes ago, Sharpedge said:

Tried to quote a post from the Mod thread, it had a gif, which is good to watch the evolvement over a number of days, but for old eyes/brain, a bit fast, is it possible to control the speed of a gif?

On meteociel, there is a way to control the frames per second speed of the GIF, so I decided to try again at a slower rate, I hope this is a little better. :)

tempresult_nui0.gif

The steps are in 12 hours as we are looking into the extended range, so apologies that the movements will look a bit "clunky".

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 3

Posted

I see they had snow in places up north again over night

it really bugs me when they say they don’t get much snow; I think their version of not getting much snow is inches and inches of it. The many times they do get a small layer would be amazing for us down south but for them it seems to not really count! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

On meteociel, there is a way to control the frames per second speed of the GIF, so I decided to try again at a slower rate, I hope this is a little better. :)

tempresult_nui0.gif

The steps are in 12 hours as we are looking into the extended range, so apologies that the movements will look a bit "clunky".

Thanks Captain, that was much better, a “pause” button would be great.  

Next thing I’ll be asking for snow as well!

Posted
35 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

tempresult_nui0.gif

You can almost see that moment when the reversal winds smash it for six.

Posted

2.8 here in Brighton dew point of 1 

will any of the showers be snow? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

Neither have I used that function surprisingly but you very infrequently post here now. I’m not a confrontational person I do like having an opinion and well I’m not afraid to share it with good intent. Keyboard warrior has been thrown about a few times, which made me giggle. :) 

We are all unique I’d rather be how I am than be like sheep. 

I think most of us are pretty unique on here, also a bit nutty, in a nice way though to be so obsessed with the weather, particularly snow, so I would agree that we are not like the run of the mill "sheeple" which is a good thing.:)

It's looking more and more likely that we are going to get a cold and snowy late February that might well continue into March, none the less the sun is a lot stronger now and it is the time of year that can turn out very cold and wintry just as easily as mild and spring like. In fact we can see how quickly it can change on the GFS run, Winter to spring in 4 days.

gfs-0-288.png

gfs-1-288.png

gfs-2-288.png

gfs-0-384.png

gfs-1-384-1.png

gfs-9-384.png

Edited by snowray
  • Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, snowray said:

I think most of us are pretty unique on here, also a bit nutty, in a nice way though to be so obsessed with the weather, particularly snow, so I would agree that we are not like the run of the mill "sheeple" which is a good thing.:)

It's looking more and more likely that we are going to get a cold and snowy late February that might well continue into March, none the less the sun is a lot stronger now and it is the time of year that can turn out very cold and wintry just as easily as mild and spring like. In fact we can see how quickly it can change on the GFS run, Winter to spring in 4 days.

gfs-0-288.png

gfs-1-288.png

gfs-2-288.png

gfs-0-384.png

gfs-1-384-1.png

gfs-9-384.png

Yeah :)

im definitely a bit nutty...lol

That would be one of the most dramatic contrasts ever. With help of strengthening sun we can get some on land convection too on top of North Sea snow showers. Would be great to some deep cold + low heights there would be a lot of snow for us. Today the models have definitely taken a good turn. The GEFS are phenomenal and there’s countinuity with previous suite to build +ve heights around Griceland. I’m quietly confident.

Posted
55 minutes ago, snowray said:

gfs-0-288.png

gfs-1-288.png

gfs-2-288.png

gfs-0-384.png

gfs-1-384-1.png

gfs-9-384.png

I would be sceptical of the later frames of the GFS if blocking does take hold. The GFS is always progressive in bringing back milder weather. I recall in March 2013 the cold being quite persistent despite the GFS  saying otherwise.

Of course maybe it will be right this time, but if we got three to four days of heavy snow showers beforehand, then most here would be happy with that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Sleet here! Wasn’t expecting that and BBC has sleet again at 10. 

Was a beautiful day today, took the kids to the beach at Shoreham and took some lovely photos. There is something about the light on a cold sunny day in February. 

Stopped now. 

Edited by smarklew