Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North west regional discussion

Mokidugway

Posted

I've been really thinking about the instability question... Lots of the more seasoned posters are pointing out the rarity of the temperatures, Dam values etc, if this is the case then isn't there more chance of heavy beefy showers making their way across the whole country? This isn't a normal -5 easterly on a brisk breeze, it seems extra normal, so was wondering if the models would pick up on this? Maybe they are underplaying the potential falls?  

Maybe a bit of hope casting but if the upper values etc make the atmosphere more volitile then could we be in for a more exciting period than the initial data suggests? (snow wise)

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Dianne on bbc doesnt look happy lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

I see the Meto have started with a level 3  (amber) cold weather alert for most of the country. Nothing for Wales though which is puzzling. 

What' the bet on a red (level 4)  warning next week?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
5 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Aye face like  a s l a p p e d  a r s e ....

I listened last night on the radio and she obviously detest snow and cold.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
7 minutes ago, Miamay said:

Dianne on bbc doesnt look happy lol

She's probably still traumatised from getting pelted with snowballs back in 1995.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

I see the Meto have started with a level 3  (amber) cold weather alert for most of the country. Nothing for Wales though which is puzzling. 

What' the bet on a red (level 4)  warning next week?

I asked the Met Office about this...seems the cold weather alerts are a Public Health England thing which is why Scotland and Wales arent included. That or Celts are made of sterner stuff.:)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
36 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Temperatures for tonight I mean. It predicts  -1 by 19:00 and -6 by midnight here. Currently 1.8°C so little bit of an ask. 

Suppose it could be a bug as it only seems to be for my location. 

Take your phone out of the freezer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
54 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

I was out when it was -10 in 2010... The windchill must have been -11 but the wind was only a few mph. I will tell you my ears felt like they had pins being stuck in them... And head was extremely painful ..

Lovely.

Ever heard of something called a hat? :D

Posted

As you would expect EC snow charts show east of the region doing best next week..

unfortunately acc to the the above the rain shadow effect will be noticeable in the SW of our region, which makes sense if the winds direction is E/NE as the showers heading towards cheshire etc will be hampered by the extensive peaks ..

Edited by northwestsnow

Posted
53 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Party at yours then Sf and save on my heating bills.

seriously though, a strong easterly can cause havoc here even without it being a bitter cold one.

It somehow often gets very gusty as it crosses the ridge on the county boundary and i’ve had fence panels blown out by  easterlies in summer months when lower down the valley it’s been pretty calm.

looking forward in principle to what may be a once in a generation spell of weather but the reality when it arrives may prove to be serious and even if the snow isn’t heavy the feel will certainly be damned cold and probably even a shock to my system.

To be honest it feels cold enough already dogs only got a very cursory walk around my field this evening I wasn’t going any further afield it was cold enough this morning. Need to dig out my proper gloves my fingerless ones don’t work in this weather!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold
1 hour ago, Stratocumulus perlucidus said:

Im not gonna get too excited yet. We had that potent north westerly forcast in December only for a shortwave to spoil it at last minute!

I'm with you ,I still can't say i'm 100% convinced we're gonna get any significant snow here in Wigan, i'm sure it's gonna be cold , but snow? :nonono:

Posted

Sat in my house with my coat on and a scarf kids the same how will we cope next week 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
1 hour ago, shadowfax said:

To be honest it feels cold enough already dogs only got a very cursory walk around my field this evening I wasn’t going any further afield it was cold enough this morning. Need to dig out my proper gloves my fingerless ones don’t work in this weather!

Never understood fingerless gloves myself but you’ll be needing Eskimo standard issue ones this time next week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and big wind
37 minutes ago, itsnowjoke said:

It's 1c

You have no heating?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog
1 hour ago, Spurry said:

I'm with you ,I still can't say i'm 100% convinced we're gonna get any significant snow here in Wigan, i'm sure it's gonna be cold , but snow? :nonono:

I think most of the region will be covered this time next week.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold
4 minutes ago, Winter Hill said:

I think most of the region will be covered this time next week.

I hope you're right but i'm sceptical

Posted
Just now, Spurry said:

I hope you're right but i'm sceptical

Anything can crop up. There will be one or two surprises 

Posted

Its been a lovely dry week with lots of sunshine, not had these conditions since November, very pleasing. However, whilst early part of the week felt springlike - its firmly back to winter feeling mode now. Long time since we had a long fetch raw easterly ahead of us, this one will be with us for a good few days, giving a very cold continental feel to things.

As others have stated, there is marked difference between met office forecasts and BBC forecasts. Met office suggesting ice days next week, BBC showing maxima at least 2-3 degrees higher, its all rather perplexing and misleading. The BBC forecasts are not matching the BBC website forecasts - significant marked differences, not good at all..

The very cold uppers and strong winds will generate significant instability by Tuesday, with trough features shown, widespread snow showers would occur over the region more so in the east. I'm reminded back to the 26/27 Jan 1996, a similiar evolution to a cold snowy blast, we got about 6 inches from a trough/frontal feature - it easily made it to the west coast.

The synoptics on offer next week, are what snow cold lovers dream of, they don't get much better.

• Like 5

Posted

1979 will live in my memory and if I'm correct all that came from the East and North East.. must have been over a 18 inches of snow in my area.. up towards Belmont and Winter Hill there were 20 feet drifts in places.. a remarkable sight 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
2 hours ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

Lovely.

Ever heard of something called a hat? :D

I was wearing a hat...

• Like 1