Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North west regional discussion

Mokidugway

Posted

The richter scale is a bit confusing though, don't think a lot of people realise that a 4.0 is nothing yet a 5.0 is enough to be a bit concerned about damage and if there's a 6.0 you need might lose a chimney yet if there's a 7.0 or 8.0 god help you it's serious.

A 6.1 - 1931 in Dogger Bank is the largest recorded in the UK and that only caused some minor damage

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

It also depends on the depth of the quake, the inclination dispersal the S-Wave, and physical properties of the rock-layers in the area. Area's with tougher rock such as granite or limestone tend to report less quakes because the S-wave energy meets that barrier of rock and so disperses away leaving less residual P-Waves for amplification of the energy, whilst area's with sandstone and shale report more frequent events because the quakes easily pass through the rocks and the P-Waves can 'bounce' around longer through valleys and mountains etc.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
14 minutes ago, dodgeredee said:

Yes at least it was a 'mild' earthquake...

Normally I have felt these rare earth tremors over the years, but this time didn't feel a thing.  I hear the epicentre was Swansea area

Looking at the news reports they can’t even decide where the epicentre was with one saying it was north of Swansea and another under the Bristol Channel.

tsunami alert.........no it’s just the Severn Bore.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Yep.

Not alot to say other than the carrot is swinging a little closer to the donkey (Chances of cold getting to the UK)

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Donkeys  and carrots  w.   T.    F

With Tinned Fruit?

Posted

Yup, there's some pretty cool potential now that the easterly wind is almost firmed up. Unfortunately being this side of the country it's what happens in the few days after that that matters to us. Definitely an element of day after tomorrow by some in the mod thread though, predicting it to last weeks and -20 uppers sitting over the UK by early March. Now wouldn't that be fun fun fun?

Smash hit summer crap pop anthems usually come out in March if this verifies how about;

(in the style of a generic tiny tempah/wiley etc song)

I'm meeting her for fun and frollocks

She said meet at the beach, I told her

"Girl, I can barely feel my "dog biscuits""

I bought her a parka the one with fur

She said we could build ourselves an igloo

And watch the ice come pushing through

I thought "I want to spend my life with her"

If I don't die of frostbite by tomorrow morning

She pulls her up phone, scrolling through, I ask

"Whats that?" Just another ice and snow warning

She said the gritting depot was buried in the snow

I said well seen as we got no place we can go 

How about we spend the night together in the igloo

Edit: Don't you just love the censoring software on here at time :rofl:

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
4 hours ago, Miamay said:

Lovely sunshine today. Lots of reports  locally of tremors earlier this afternoon. 

Yes my parkinson's were bad.

Edited by Day 10

Posted
4 hours ago, itsnowjoke said:

Does mean they could be after shocks 

Hate that drink

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

I bet the earthquake was caused by the weight of potential currently in the mad thread.

just wait until it all goes belly up and the toys and prams go their separate ways, now that will be some earthquake.

Posted
53 minutes ago, iand61 said:

I bet the earthquake was caused by the weight of potential currently in the mad thread.

just wait until it all goes belly up and the toys and prams go their separate ways, now that will be some earthquake.

Might be more severe if the beast from the east is tranquilised.

Posted

Makes interesting reading and also why we should be cautious of ramping.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

Makes interesting reading and also why we should be cautious of ramping.

Looks like an "it might not happen but if it does it's mega mega mega" to me. So that's okay with me, 70% is a pretty decently optimistic odds. And I'm sure if we can tap into that cold air and keep the easterly flow it will be a truly memorable event. My inferation coming from this para:

"

Forecaster guideance of 17Z today was 70% chance of the Easterly progressing far enough to affect England. More than a few wobbles this week so there is still no guarantee we will get a bit of the cherry.

The main story from Exeter is, that *if* we do get in on the action next week, this will be a prolonged event lasting well into March with significant impacts on this country."

Posted

Seen as the golden ticket has not yet been delivered for the upcoming stage play shall we talk tonight.

A nice chill in the air, but compared to recent wind-chill almost warm enough to sit outside. Absolutely beautifully clear night. Know howling winds against the window, no beating hailstones against the concrete outside and no cloud eating up the sky. Can even make out a good two dozen stars in the near vicinity, what's not to like?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
6 hours ago, iand61 said:

tsunami alert.........no it’s just the Severn Bore.

Severn bore?....more than seven on here!!!

Posted

:cold:

Epic charts again this morn! This cold spell may well start dry here, but that Easterly wind looks a strong one and with time blowing heavy snow showers right across the country. Starting to believe this is the real deal now. Shaping up to be a classic cold spell  :cold::cold::cold:

Posted
10 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Epic charts again this morn! This cold spell may well start dry here, but that Easterly wind looks a strong one and with time blowing heavy snow showers right across the country. Starting to believe this is the real deal now. Shaping up to be a classic cold spell  :cold::cold::cold:

Too many let downs for me to believe it yet, I think we will get an easterly just not sure how severe.   But, wow some of the charts the last few days have been jaw dropping.   I might not believe them but this is still getting exciting. 

Posted
11 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Yep just had a quick peek in the mad thread myself and it looks like it’s still on.

i still think that the final outcome will be a watered down version though but looking at the depth of cold and strength of the flow i can’t see why even ourselves won’t see some snow from this set up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

I really hope this Easterly doesn't turn out to be a dry one otherwise toys are really going to fly in the mod thread.

Posted
34 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Yup. It comes to something when your saving synoptics charts because they are so good. The model watching aspect of this has been incredible, lets just hope it can verify; as if they do there's no way we can't see at least a dusting or two.