Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North west regional discussion

Mokidugway

Posted

UKMO keeps us cold and probably sub zero until sunday now :)

coldest 2 days off this cracking easterly today and tomorrow, yes the front probably wont reach us but im happier for the cold to last thru saturday ..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Just noticed we have about 200 J of SBCAPE by lunchtime so enough to sustain some heavy showers and maybe the odd sferic. 

• Like 1

Posted

Not surprised but will be happy if we can get some troughs or organised showers will be happy, as they say get the cold in and snowy surprises can and do happen.... ?❄️❄️❄️

Posted
Just now, Chris.R said:

Just noticed we have about 200 J of SBCAPE by lunchtime so enough to sustain some heavy showers and maybe the odd sferic. 

Interestting chris, i think today is going to be the peak of showers, fingers crossed!

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, WillinGlossop said:

Just calculated windchill...gusting 20mph -9c windchill -18c.....brrr....

yes that wind will hopefully carry snow showers into our region.

TBH its already a very good event for many, around 8cm here in the shade which is a good effort in late Feb- can you only imagine this kind of stuff in mid January!!

Really one of the things i will watch for a SSW , hopefully late Nov/Dec next winter although im being greedy now, im in work until fri evening so im especially happy i can go for a walk saturday morning up in the hills - it will be a winter wonderland up there for sure!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

There is a change in wind Direction coming in the next few hours from east-north-east to east-by-south. The wind also increasing in strength during this afternoon. It’s quite a distinctive veering so maybe a band of showers associated  with it. 

• Like 1

Posted

Just measured snow on bins/car with my hand.... 7-8 inches (comes upto my wrist)  where drifted 11-12 inches.... snow really whipping off house roof/ around corners....

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Chris.R said:

There is a change in wind Direction coming in the next few hours from east-north-east to east-by-south. The wind also increasing in strength during this afternoon. It’s quite a distinctive veering so maybe a band of showers associated  with it. 

Yes as soon as the south easterly comes into play its a death knell for the showers although the wind will be freezing off the continent.

A pretty awesome event really and again look at the dews, i will always say an easterly provides much better results for my location, and this week just reinforces it..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
2 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Just measured snow on bins/car with my hand.... 7-8 inches (comes upto my wrist)  where drifted 11-12 inches.... snow really whipping off house roof/ around corners....

A couple of inches of level snow here and as everything has either gone north or south of me overnight, little top since I went to bed.

not a breath of wind and other than it being -7c it’s a lovely early morning.

and i’m only 30 miles north of you...........not jealous really.:wallbash:

Posted
6 minutes ago, iand61 said:

A couple of inches of level snow here and as everything has either gone north or south of me overnight, little top since I went to bed.

not a breath of wind and other than it being -7c it’s a lovely early morning.

and i’m only 30 miles north of you...........not jealous really.:wallbash:

If some of these showers in North Sea make it over the Pennines in a bit we will all be in the game today is the start proper of the cold spell...

ps lookslike parts of Cumbria doing well overnight....

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Troubke is im not sure they will for low areas like Merseyside. 

Posted

winds have really picked up here .. blowing snow off the roofs and there are flurries falling, temp -7..

Not expected to get above zero today... just awesome stuff and no doubt a lot of excited kids - im happy a lot of youngsters can see what an east wind brings up here and will probably kick start another generation of snow lovers who will graduate to net weather when we are all gone.. :D

• Like 1

Posted

-6.0°C now, still an hour and a half of cooling to go. 

Posted
Just now, northwestsnow said:

Hi mate do you have any snow on the ground?

There was a dusting overnight, and I mean a dusting, the snow from yesterday is mostly gone except in areas where no sun got to it. Will be interesting to see if it melts today in the sun or not. It’s completely clear here and not a breath of wind. It was windier yesterday afternoon.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Jayfromcardiff said:

How's things guys? You all had snow as of yet? Only a dusting here but I'm waiting for tomorrow the big event.

Things are good jay :)

-7 and around 3 inches of snow in C-oldham  :D

hopefully an awesome event for you tomorrow :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & storms. Or very hot. None of this raining when it's sunny rubbish

Nothing here overnight & very clear skies 

Posted
Just now, northwestsnow said:

Things are good jay :)

-7 and around 3 inches of snow in C-oldham  :D

hopefully an awesome event for you tomorrow :)

Brilliant! Any pics mate? I really think I could be snowed in tomorrow! Snow from morning until Saturday.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Got down to -7.3°C in the night! Amazing to see really with the wind picking up!

Posted
23 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Yes as soon as the south easterly comes into play its a death knell for the showers although the wind will be freezing off the continent.

A pretty awesome event really and again look at the dews, i will always say an easterly provides much better results for my location, and this week just reinforces it..

It’s only slightly south of east though today and tomorrow, 100°. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Brilliant! Any pics mate? I really think I could be snowed in tomorrow! Snow from morning until Saturday.

Im going to go out saturday , with the gusts over the next few days i expect there to be some lovely drifts a mile or two up the road..

• Like 1