Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Mokidugway

North west regional discussion

2 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

It’s not a polar low. 500 HPa temperatures arn’t cold enough yet. They are on Thursday though.  Don’t care what it is if it gives us some snow. 

Maybe you should tell the BBC and the Met Office! I think the fact that it is not a true polar low is why there is more chance of it crossing our region.

Aprege looks brill!!

We are talking 24 hours and less now and this is supposed to be a very high res model.

In short if a model such as this is going to be wrong at less than 24 hours and we still get left empty handed i think we may as well give up.

Technically, it’s come from the polar regions, so I guess it can be described as a polar low. Although not a true one. 

11 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

Technically, it’s come from the polar regions, so I guess it can be described as a polar low. Although not a true one. 

Polar Low's happen in a Northerly. Not an Easterly. It isn't a Polar Low full stop. 

24 minutes ago, Wardlegacy said:

I think they are being a bit loose with the description but that is what it is being called. I guess they don’t know what else to call it

A Polar Low from the East from Scandanavia? :cc_confused:

The whole country is on alert for freezing temps and heavy snow, why are we always in the laminate floor gap??!! lol I've seen forecasts for mom, tues, weds, Thursday, on the telly bbc news, online , on here etc... it all moves west, but we are there bang right in the middle with a gap!

Clear overnight with min of -2.7C, fine first thing but Cu bubbling up and now cloudy. Current temp 4.0C.  I live in a minor UHI.

Went cloudy again but nothing came out of it. Keeping the temperature suppressed though. 

Itv weather graphics for today didn't show much precipitation 

27 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

A Polar Low from the East from Scandanavia? :cc_confused:

Yes it bugs me that some have caled this a polar low. It will behave differently  as well.

7 minutes ago, itsnowjoke said:

Itv weather graphics for today didn't show much precipitation 

Radar and nowcasting is the best advice. Expect nothing, get everything.

Polar low is a convective feature that contains no fronts and is sustained by relatively warm bodies of water. It is often referred to as an Arctic hurricane due to its similarities. This ain't a polar low

1 minute ago, SP1986 said:

Polar low is a convective feature that contains no fronts and is sustained by relatively warm bodies of water. It is often referred to as an Arctic hurricane due to its similarities. This ain't a polar low

And to add to that, you generally can't forecast a Polar Low either, such magical beasts they are. 

1 minute ago, SP1986 said:

I think a couple of BBC forecasters have used the term and it has sadly caught on. Does a disservice to a proper polar low.

It is an interesting disturbance though and quite unusual and this probably doesn’t have a name hence the misinformation.

1 minute ago, Astral Goat Juice said:

And to add to that, you generally can't forecast a Polar Low either, such magical beasts they are. 

Yep .. that's true.. they always originate somewhere between Iceland and Norway too

I just dont believe euro4 is doing it again to our region????

Im far from convinced the pennines will destroy all the showers like 6z shows..

Fingers crossed its wrong..

5 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

I suggest nobody from our region looks at euro4..

:-(

Is it bad for everyone mate?