Cold?
IGNORED

North west regional discussion

Mokidugway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
36 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

Bit late with that one I'm afraid!

A wry smile to your fellow gardeners though, you did try to warn them.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters
20 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Do you not go in for the storms in the summer? I’ll be getting excited, Mostly in vain, on the convective thread all summer. 

Not generally no. ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, Snow, Winter, Summer storms after a 'heatwave'
58 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

This might be the pattern going forward.. if so cold could last well into April or May. I do subscribe to the cool summer scenario as I think that's where we are heading along with a sub 10C year.

Last time this sort of spell happened (March 2013) we had a very hot summer, not scientific I know but one can hope :D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I think this summer will be dominated by high pressure to the north like July 2013. Not overly hot but I think we will have a lot of Continental air this year. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Latest Liverpool TAF. Upgrade in intensity. 

The report was made 32 minutes ago, at 11:05UTC
Forecast valid from 03 at 12 UTC to 04 at 12 UTC
Wind 15 kt from the East
Visibility: 8000 m
Few clouds at a height of 1200 ft 
Broken clouds at a height of 2000 ft
Temporary
from 03 at 12 UTC to 04 at 03 UTC
Broken clouds at a height of 1200 ft
Probability 30% :
Temporary
from 03 at 21 UTC to 04 at 03 UTC
Visibility: 3000 m
Broken clouds at a height of 800 ft
rain, snow
Temporary
from 04 at 03 UTC to 04 at 12 UTC
Visibility: 4000 m
rain

Sounds about right to me, although I think the first bit will be all snow and ice pellets. This is our breakdown front. 

Posted

Last day for this epic spell here before the milder air gets in.

Was going to say hope the kids make the most of it but most schools have been shut since wed :D

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Latest Liverpool TAF. Upgrade in intensity. 

The report was made 32 minutes ago, at 11:05UTC
Forecast valid from 03 at 12 UTC to 04 at 12 UTC
Wind 15 kt from the East
Visibility: 8000 m
Few clouds at a height of 1200 ft 
Broken clouds at a height of 2000 ft
Temporary
from 03 at 12 UTC to 04 at 03 UTC
Broken clouds at a height of 1200 ft
Probability 30% :
Temporary
from 03 at 21 UTC to 04 at 03 UTC
Visibility: 3000 m
rain, snow
Temporary
from 04 at 03 UTC to 04 at 12 UTC
Visibility: 4000 m
rain

Sounds about right to me, although I think the first bit will be all snow and ice pellets. This is our breakdown front. 

:cray::cray::cray:

Until this time next week :D :yahoo:

Winter isn't done yet!

• Like 1

Posted

Well we didnt get any snow here last night either so I think that might just about be it for this winter. On reflection, even though we ended up with very little snow in my location again this winter, I have seen snow falling on a number of occasions and there has been plenty to keep me glued to the forums with lots of chances even if ultimately they didnt amount to much. Overall i think its been a pretty good winter for our region with a memorable event for most so Im giving this winter 7 out of 10 !

I'm ready for Summer now and Spanish plume heatwaves with some Thundery breakdowns

Posted

An instresting snippet from Catacols post i've just read, the last time we had a global wave and pressure like this was March 1962............

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
33 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

An instresting snippet from Catacols post i've just read, the last time we had a global wave and pressure like this was March 1962............

Yes I think next winter has the potential to be epic especially given the solar minimum, E QBO etc. 

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

We didn't even get the epic breakdown we usually get from a beast from the East. Glad people got snow but we literally got the same as the northerly events..... being a dust. 

Posted

The inevitable drip drip has commenced, temps have risen above freezing for the first time since Tuesday evening.. I can tell because the icicles outside the window disappeared an hour ago.

This morning brought light snow, giving a dusting, becoming a little heavier and wetter just before noon, a sign milder uppers mixing with the cold surface air.

The sun is now breaking through and will do quick work on the snow, given it has much more oomph to it now, than in the depths of winter, and a reminder we are in early March.

Thankfully we have lost the biting wind, which made Thursday and yesterday so raw.

Outlook remains very mixed bits of rain and sleet here and there, wet snow for the higher tops, temps a bit below par. All quite uninspiring, and I suspect this thread will be very quiet in the days ahead. Longer term chance we may see some low level snow later in the week, and possibly around the 12th as the trough anchors through the UK and we pull in colder uppers on its rear flank. As we progress through March, northerly airstreams become our best bet for low level snow, that and cyclonic features becoming slow moving from the south bumping into the cold air, with the cold digging down from the north or north east or battleground scenarios with fronts stalling and the cold air holding on think March 1996 and 2006 but these become less likely once we get past the middle of the month. Easterlies unless they have a very cold set of uppers associated with them, tend to bring grey cloudy drab raw days, think March 2001 and March 2006.

I find March a rather trying month overall, caught in the middle, a bit like September and increasingly October.. you cling onto winter knowing you shouldn't and you long for summer knowing its quite some time off, like in Sept when you cling onto summer but also look forward to those crisp cold frosty days which never tend to come until November..What is good about it, is the thought of May and June to come - a superb time of year!

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
4 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

What did you get in terms of snow?

About an inch, so not much. 

Posted

Snow all melted here now, still slightly windy and 2.4 degrees so I guess if any ppn is coming I should expect rain

Meto has me down for sleet around midnight and then rain through most of tomorrow so hopefully it doesn't come early while I'm on my bike later

Posted

Just been out to bid a fond farewell to the cold spell, still huge drifts locally.

FWIW i thought the media vastly under estimated the potential for severe weather on the western foothills of the pennines- even tues evening the north west tonight forecast talked of light snow showers when in reality my location was on the cusp of a 36 hour blizzard !!

Added to that EURO4 model was also guilty of vastly underestimating the snow signal here- i think on reflection i will take any accumulation high res model with a huge pinch of salt.

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters
1 hour ago, gearbox100 said:

We didn't even get the epic breakdown we usually get from a beast from the East. Glad people got snow but we literally got the same as the northerly events..... being a dust. 

You got a dusting!!! More than me! ??

Posted
1 minute ago, Mokidugway said:

Quite pleasant out ,massive thaw underway , it's coming :yahoo:

Yes, the massive 1cm drifts have all gone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
12 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Most we got out of this week was a sh I tty 2 inch that lasted 6 hours due to sublimation  :nonono:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-43271505/lidl-supermarket-looted-after-digger-used-to-attack-building

Any of yours gone by ferry to Dublin?

Posted
1 hour ago, Supreme Leader Snowkes said:

Snow all melted here now, still slightly windy and 2.4 degrees so I guess if any ppn is coming I should expect rain

Meto has me down for sleet around midnight and then rain through most of tomorrow so hopefully it doesn't come early while I'm on my bike later

We will get some snow/ice pellets  this evening before it changes to rain in the early hours. Dewpoints are still well below freezing. Temp 1.7°C here and falling.

Off to watch the Liverpool game.  

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 2

Posted
25 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

Lol.

I rang my uncle when seeing it, he said he was desperate for bread and milk.