Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North west regional discussion

Mokidugway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Still pretty windy out. Not much snow left out of the little we had. Ice we took out of pond still frozen on the ground. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

I give this Winter 5/10 for me.

It is quite rubbish to be honest. The  big wait continues.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather
3 minutes ago, pip22 said:

Same here. 

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, pip22 said:

5/10 is fair, not much snow but my location generally doesn't get much unless it's something like a Cheshire streamer. Still more snow days than recent winters just a bit envious of others around the country, mind you after chatting to some friends in the SW we've dodged a bullet over the last 24 hrs. It's been pretty brutal. Hopefully a solar minimum in future years will nudge us in the right direction?

Edited by wrightc23
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

I'd give it a 8/10 for cold but 4/10 for snow, 8 days with snow falling and 3 days with snow lying, 1cm max depth. very poor compared to most i'd imagine.

forgot to add 10/10 for frustration

Edited by I Cumbria Marra I
  • Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Wardlegacy said:

Travelling through the country by train today. Am amazed how little snow there is across Cheshire. Seems like a line west of Wilmslow is green! 

I noticed that yesterday as well even Knutsford three or four miles east had far more snow.

Edited by wrightc23

Posted
3 minutes ago, Wardlegacy said:

Travelling through the country by train today. Am amazed how little snow there is across Cheshire. Seems like a line west of Wilmslow is green! 

Tell us - fooooking - about it!!!!!!

:wallbash::wallbash::rofl:

Posted
1 minute ago, captaincroc said:

When you had that streamer overnight a few days ago we had nothing.  Where I live had a bit more but literally nothing in Cheshire.

It doesn't always pay off but when it does.....January 2009 I seem to recall was a good one?

Posted

Lying snow in November, December, January, February and March

Most snow falls had been of dusting to 1 or 2 inches but the feb one is very memorable, near a foot of snow with 2-3 foot drifts god know what it is like 10 minute walk away over the tops.

Blizzard / white out conditions, sub zero temps since Saturday night.

Winter will probably be a 7 out of 10 for me..... One more major fall of snow would have pushed it up a point or two. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, wrightc23 said:

I noticed that yesterday as well even Knutsford three or four miles east had far more snow.

I went to school in Knutsford and they often had snow when I hadn’t in Alderley Edge where I lived.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, wrightc23 said:

5/10 is fair, not much snow but my location generally doesn't get much unless it's something like a Cheshire streamer. Still more snow days than recent winters just a bit envious of others around the country, mind you after chatting to some friends in the SW we've dodged a bullet over the last 24 hrs. It's been pretty brutal. Hopefully a solar minimum in future years will nudge us in the right direction?

I follow this topic quite a bit, is the very cold spell of Dec 2010, March 2013 and this short sharp brutal spell correlating with our now weakening solar cycles? They at least should increase the chances of much colder Winter's in the Northern Hemisphere over the next 20 -30 years.

Try some of these sites if you are interested:

http://www.solarham.net/

https://wattsupwiththat.com/

https://nextgrandminimum.com/

Posted

6/10 for cold, a few days in late Feb doesn't make up for what has been a fairly bang average winter

4/10 overall

2010 as the benchmark

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Winter here 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001/10 :nonono:

What a belter eh!

Posted

Looking forward to Spring and Summer now, I'll make sure I book those 2 days off. 8)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Well i’ve enjoyed this winter a lot and if I could have this again next year I will be very happy.  I don’t think it’s over yet anyway I’m not giving up on it until the equinox. 

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Chris.R said:

Well i’ve enjoyed this winter a lot and if I could have this again next year I will be very happy. 

Hear we ago again mate, that front is marching toward us! :rofl: (no I'll never learn).

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, wrightc23 said:

It doesn't always pay off but when it does.....January 2009 I seem to recall was a good one?

Yeah, you hit the westerly streamer but South Cheshire missed it. I remember watching it nearly crying! haha. Then the front moved south and we got a small covering from that. My friend worked in MCR and travelled their every day, her school was shut for over a week! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
4 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Hear we ago again mate, that front is marching toward us! :rofl: (no I'll never learn).

3pm expected to arrive following the Weather Pro Radar

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

I follow this topic quite a bit, is the very cold spell of Dec 2010, March 2013 and this short sharp brutal spell correlating with our now weakening solar cycles? They at least should increase the chances of much colder Winter's in the Northern Hemisphere over the next 20 -30 years.

Try some of these sites if you are interested:

http://www.solarham.net/

https://wattsupwiththat.com/

https://nextgrandminimum.com/

The Earths magnetic field is also weakening

https://www.livescience.com/46694-magnetic-field-weakens.html

So it will be interesting to see what effect this adds to our climate in combination with everything else going on

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/impacts/space-weather-impacts-climate

Particularly the importance of cosmic rays as I believe a weakened magnetic field results in more cosmic rays being able to pass through and there's definite science in the relation between the rays with temperatures and storm systems

However all this is rarely new science so there's still a lot of study to be done, certainly fascination just how much of our climate in short scale terms is affected by sources not of this world

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme events.
32 minutes ago, pip22 said:

Given what has happened to me over the last 48 hours this winter gets a zero. Period.