North west regional discussion

Mokidugway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

But to be lake effect woukd mean warm water, cold air causing convection, 

Posted
Just now, JeffC said:

understood, so why is the easterly blowing over the Irish Sea creating snow shower not lake effect?

Because its not causing enough if any convection. Its a stalled  front

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
1 minute ago, Stratocumulus perlucidus said:

But to be lake effect woukd mean warm water, cold air causing convection, 

agreed, easterly is cold, Irish Sea relatively warm in comparison?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

850s drop again this evening so hopefully that should keep the temperature from rising too far above freezing. 

Posted
1 minute ago, JeffC said:

agreed, easterly is cold, Irish Sea relatively warm in comparison?

True but no convection also no through pass as LP is in way. The showers piling into scotland is lake effect snow.

• Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Stratocumulus perlucidus said:

True but no convection also no through pass as LP is in way. The showers piling into scotland is lake effect snow.

OK, do we have a definition for the type of effect that is happening then - just curious if there's a similar effect which isn't true lake effect, sort of pseudo lake effect?:cc_confused:

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

IMG_8680.JPG

Posted
2 minutes ago, JeffC said:

OK, do we have a definition for the type of effect that is happening then - just curious if there's a similar effect which isn't true lake effect, sort of pseudo lake effect?:cc_confused:

Its not any lake effect. Its a weather front or was. Will start moving soon now low is weaker

Posted
1 minute ago, Stratocumulus perlucidus said:

Its not any lake effect. Its a weather front or was. Will start moving soon now low is weaker

apologies - mixed messages. OK I know that the ppn from Storm Emma is frontal, but over last few days, E coast of Ireland has been hit by heavy showers. Where I live in S Cumbria we have been in a quite effective shadow from the Pennines and E Lakes Fells so only have a thick sprinkling. It was interesting (frustrating) to see showers crop up quite soon of the W Cumbrian Coast in the strong Easterly, which then deposited on Ireland. I assume that was lake effect?

Posted
Just now, JeffC said:

apologies - mixed messages. OK I know that the ppn from Storm Emma is frontal, but over last few days, E coast of Ireland has been hit by heavy showers. Where I live in S Cumbria we have been in a quite effective shadow from the Pennines and E Lakes Fells so only have a thick sprinkling. It was interesting (frustrating) to see showers crop up quite soon of the W Cumbrian Coast in the strong Easterly, which then deposited on Ireland. I assume that was lake effect?

Correct

• Thanks 1

Posted
6 hours ago, iand61 said:

Sorry to hear that Sf, hope everything turns out ok but these winds are terrible.

i don’t know whether it is the excessive speed of the gusts or the unusual direction but the entire house seems to be creaking and the noise from the trees across the road is constant.

When I took him home this morning there were two trees down, luckily they both fell away from his house which was very lucky as they were enormous. 

Posted

To be honest im not 100% that the ppn over irish sea is a front. The front that stalled, stalled over english channel and is now occluding with the cold front behind it. Im thinking its some sort of trough? 

F46F637D-26DD-4D90-B1D7-4E0BBEFB64E4.thumb.png.15c70949ae1be21c946ed21cbde12837.png

Posted
56 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

It’s 1.1°C now. It was below freezing for 48 hours which I have to say makes this a memorable cold spell whatever else happens. We could do with some clear spells this evening now or it’s going to get too marginal already. 

Yes for late Feb/Start of March it has certainly been cold, still nowhere near close to the -16 in December of 2010 though

Not sure what's happened overnight, the remaining snow that was from Tuesday has either melted or sublimated as there's less of it, the ponds are still frozen over even though it's supposedly 1 to 2 degrees here, wind is still a little wild but nothing to write home about

Edited by Supreme Leader Snowkes
  • Like 1

Posted

Would also explain why it behaved the way it did

Posted

Interesting walk through local fields/woodland, been blown around so much it's just sitting in piles with massive areas of grass visible between slates of ice. Ice is the classic type that you can hammer with your hand and it won't break but put your foot on it and it cracks - quite lethal. Really not a fan of this snow in the current conditions, it's far too powdery to build a snowman out of an even if you can scrape enough ice bits it just falls apart, kids can't sledge on it because there isn't enough of it after it's all blown away and now it's leaving lethal ice exposed with the snow blowing away from it. 

However walk did give me time to reflect on winter and I'm going to take the liberty of writing my winter reflection today; I'd normally reflect on a season on the first day of the new one, but last nights possible snow event left a delay. It's not been a bad winter personally, a lot of the disappointment seems to come from the fact that we've ended up with what would normally be classed as good winter weather whilst having to watch large parts of the country get the extreme weather; and of course if you used to live in one of those areas that stings just that bit more. Seeing scenes akin to the Jan 2010 event play out across much of the country whilst the best you can muster is a few inches of powder, and that few inches is liberal measurement going by today's walk through nearby fields, is undoubtedly frustrating.

From a snow perspective however we haven't had it all bad; we've had a good few snow events, I think I've had over a month of falling snow days if you include the light flurries and a good few weeks of lying snow days as well. The best event of the winter is a tough call, I'm going with the Feb 11 event as the snow depth was greatest and it was classic British snow, meaning it was wet; snowmen could be built and it covered quickly. That's not to demeaning this late March event at all, witnessing near blizzard conditions with large powdery flakes being blown off the surface of the drive like dust is a sight that will remain for life. But powdery snow by it's very nature needs a hell of a lot of it to be enjoyable as snow, unlike good old British snow where a few inches is enough.

As far as cold goes, this winter cannot really be faulted; we've had very few days of temperatures in double digits throughout the entire winter. The weather has been generally seasonable, there's been some rain but it's Lancashire? Isn't there always. The fact I write to you after two weeks without rain and snow still sat in the garden, if slowly melting, tells you this winter hasn't been one of "those winters" where marginal event after marginal event falls as rain. We've had all types of weather as well; hail (a bit too much in some events, quite frankly), graupel, wet snow, powder snow, ice pellets and sleet; perhaps the only thing missing is freezing rain - but we don't really want that anyway. The sheer cold of this final spell has been remarkable, several days below freezing gives a booster - and that wind chill is bone-chilling.

As we enter the new solar cycle, I've seen many people claim that more extreme winters are more likely, I'll never understand the correlation fully, but if this is what's getting going at the start then I have high expectations of the middle of the cycle; for areas across the country. Next winter could well be a brilliant one. The main thing that would be welcomed would be a snow event resulting in deeper snow for the area; most likely to come from the North West (it seems the only direction where nothing can truly interfere for our little corner of the planet that I currently call home - the east the hills kill it, the west there's not a long enough sea track and the south it kills by the greater Manchester rain shadow). So here's to hoping for a NW'ly next winter; or maybe even at the end of March? (I'm just being greedy). 

All in all this winter will sit as a memorable one for persistence through 4 months rather than any great individual event as it will do for most other areas. It's gets a 7/10.

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Top of Hadfield Road just past railway bridge 

20180302_121622.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Chris.R said:

It’s 1.1°C now. It was below freezing for 48 hours which I have to say makes this a memorable cold spell whatever else happens. We could do with some clear spells this evening now or it’s going to get too marginal already. 

Also you have to take into account this was achieved with a breeze blowing. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I will give the winter here 8.3/10. Including yesterday I have had 18 air frosts; 12 days with snow falling; 4 days with snow lying; 1 ice day.  Compare that to the previous 2 winters when I recorded no ice days; no days with snow falling or lying and 15 air frosts combined. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Some pictures taken on the second closest fell to Egremont, 200-250M ASL, you can see how snowless west cumbria is, there was about 1 inch on the paths sheltered from the sun

20180302_105400 resized.jpg

20180302_105306 resized.jpg

20180302_105305 resized.jpg

20180302_105303 resized.jpg

20180302_105301 resized.jpg

20180302_104914 resized.jpg

20180302_104755 resized.jpg

20180302_094946 resized.jpg

20180302_104347 resized.jpg

20180302_104210 resized.jpg

20180302_102046 resized.jpg

20180302_101238 resized.jpg

20180302_100727 resized.jpg

20180302_100315 resized.jpg

20180302_094946 resized.jpg

20180302_094621 resized.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales
25 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

i cant like your post for some reason, you dont have the heart symbol at the bottom right:cc_confused:

Edited by I Cumbria Marra I

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
20 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

Top of Hadfield Road just past railway bridge 

20180302_121622.jpg

I have to do my spanish lesson tomorrow in Dinting rd.. near the station.. no way my A3 will go up there :) staying in Sale

Posted

spot the robin

20180302_104347 resized.jpg

Posted
4 minutes ago, I Cumbria Marra I said:

i cant like your post for some reason, you dont have the heart symbol at the bottom right:cc_confused:

I can't seem to be able to react to anyone's post either. I think it might be to do with when I was an involuntary forum break last week.