Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North west regional discussion

Mokidugway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
11 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

Yeah same here. Unless there’s energy transferring up from the low. But I can’t see it??

Euro4 has us well and truly in the hole between all the action in the Southern part of the region. Then again, it has been wrong a number of times recently.

Edited by Dexter

Posted

FAX charts showing front after front encroaching the region yet, the forecasts suggest barely any snow - I'm confused. I think this is one of those situations where nowcasting is needed, we could see further snow showers overnight as the wind veers more direct easterly, then tomorrow some light snow possible, Sunday perhaps heavier snow, equally we might just see grey leaden skies temps struggling much above freezing and a bitter wind. Wednesday was great with the fluffy pristine snow and blue skies and sunshine and little wind, but yesterday and today very dismal - very bleak mid winter..

• Like 4

Posted

Met really f%#@&ed up here.... really with these winds and drifting.... diabolical... 90mph winds and a yellow warning... never seen so many branches sticking out of snow... my roof had over a foot of snow...today nothing... all drifted on ground... great community spirit in Glossop.... trees fallen on cars, snow drifts are amazing.... but really.... met/bbc fail...

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

So currently I am about to have day 2 off work, but not from falling snow but from total gridlock due to high winds and dangerous conditions.

Im sorry but the met warning was crap.

Yesterdays forecast was for showers possible but we had hours of continuous snow, only went amber as it was decaying,

Then late on a wind warning hours after it started. The 62 has been shut for nearly 24 hrs apart from a brief time yesterday with motorists sleeping in the local village hall.

It is carnsge.

IMG_1781.PNG

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Met really f%#@&ed up here.... really with these winds and drifting.... diabolical... 90mph winds and a yellow warning... never seen so many branches sticking out of snow... my roof had over a foot of snow...today nothing... all drifted on ground... great community spirit in Glossop.... trees fallen on cars, snow drifts are amazing.... but really.... met/bbc fail...

This wind is something I have found fascinating, it literally came out of nowhere, yes it has been breezy but literally at a click of a switch it went gale force, no exaggeration. A bit like how the winds pick up before a storm? Anyways, going back to your point, did the Met Office not see this coming as bad? Was the winds part of the 'unknown parameters' of this spell?  My house was rocking yesterday on this hill top the same as storm Doris etc.  

Posted
10 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Yes there’s been a discussion on twitter between Buxton Weather Watch and Chris Fawkes about the lack of warning. He was the one forecaster that seemed interested!

Posted

What a wild night. Incredibly windy here at the foot of the western lee slope of the Pennines. My 8-9 inches of level snow is now probably less than an inch generally, but huge drifts that I haven’t had the chance to go and inspect! There’s bound to be structural damage in places, and the drifts on the Pennines and lakes fells must be truely monumental. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Wardlegacy said:

Yes there’s been a discussion on twitter between Buxton Weather Watch and Chris Fawkes about the lack of warning. He was the one forecaster that seemed interested!

The odd thing here was the wind would seem to stop for as long as 5 minutes at times but then you’d hear it coming like a train approaching and there’d be a huge gust. I wish I got a video when I went out to thwart my bins bid for freedom. 

24 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

FAX charts showing front after front encroaching the region yet, the forecasts suggest barely any snow - I'm confused. I think this is one of those situations where nowcasting is needed, we could see further snow showers overnight as the wind veers more direct easterly, then tomorrow some light snow possible, Sunday perhaps heavier snow, equally we might just see grey leaden skies temps struggling much above freezing and a bitter wind. Wednesday was great with the fluffy pristine snow and blue skies and sunshine and little wind, but yesterday and today very dismal - very bleak mid winter..

Yes this I also don't understand. The FAX as we know are created by humans at Exeter. There is literally front after front hitting the region with the one on Friday night into Saturday stalling for hours on end with more fronts into next Tuesday.

Yet TV says zilch. What?

Posted
2 minutes ago, trickydicky said:

The odd thing here was the wind would seem to stop for as long as 5 minutes at times but then you’d hear it coming like a train approaching and there’d be a huge gust. I wish I got a video when I went out to thwart my bins bid for freedom. 

The wind was a lot worse at altitude severe gales up here but in Wilmslow it never really got bad at all.

Posted

Isn't today suppose to be our first day above freezing?  When are the winds due to subside? Just wondering as if that band hits us tonight could be a few cms blowing about.  

To be honest, I think as an area we are done with this spell now, every front has just missed us so even though most models forecast it will hit us, the precipitation is forecast to be light and the Cheshire Bowl snow dome looks in full working order too. It's been frustrating to watch but it's just a fact that we do live in a rain shadow. We have been under some precipitation on the radar but light falls, yet to the west and east they soak it up. We really need moisture laden features to allow enough energy to stop the shield.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Tiniest flakes are falling here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny or snow

Utterly pathetic.  Then we always do poor from an easterly event.  Five years of sledgeless activity, my boys growing up and missing out.   Oh well.  Have seen snow as late as April so we can live in hope. ????

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny or snow
22 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

A friend in Glossop had tree fall and crush his car last night luckily he wasn’t in it... 

Why would he be in a tree??? ????????

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
1 hour ago, Day 10 said:

Crosby sst down to 4.4! Wow way below average. If this spell had legs and went on another week or 2 we may have seen ice floes on the Meresey for the first time since 63.

Remember it’s only got a 1°F resolution, so could be anywhere between 4.2 and 4.7. 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Wow can you post this to the Met Office they said they would like tweets showing the snow! Might make them answer what constitutes an amber 

Posted
52 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Did you see any models predicting 70-90 mph Gust? I didn't until the Met office App updated from its lates run shortly after a wind warning was issued.

A lot of snow has been stripped away and dumped in drifts and like you the number of small branches littering the place is a site to behold.

I did point out that the strength of the wind from that direction was going to cause issues with trees and structures. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Liverpool TAF looking promising 

The report was made 3 hours and 30 minutes ago, at 04:58 UTC
Forecast valid from 02 at 06 UTC to 03 at 06 UTC
Wind 20 kt from the East with gusts up to 35 kt
Visibility 10 km or more
Scattered clouds at a height of 2000 ft
Probability 30% :
Temporary
from 02 at 06 UTC to 02 at 15 UTC
Wind 28 kt from the East with gusts up to 45 kt
Probability 30% :
Temporary
from 02 at 18 UTC to 03 at 06 UTC
Visibility: 5000 m
Broken clouds at a height of 1400 ft
light snow
Becoming
from 02 at 21 UTC to 02 at 24 UTC
Wind 14 kt from the East
Probability 30% :
Temporary
from 03 at 00 UTC to 03 at 06 UTC
Wind 17 kt from the East with gusts up to 27 kt
Edited by Chris.R

Posted

Two minute walk up the hill behind my house and there were lots of snow drifts. Not as impressive as the Oldham ones. But impressive for my location.

i quickly had to turn around and come home though. The wind was too strong, and I wasn't wearing proper shoes for such heavy snow :cold:

IMG_1050.JPG

IMG_1051.JPG

IMG_1057.JPG

IMG_1065.JPG

IMG_1070.JPG

IMG_1082.PNG

• Like 5