Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North west regional discussion

Mokidugway

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Might as well all be anaprop for what's going on here .

It's just rubbing salt in the wounds, giving hope where there is none :nonono:

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, dodgeredee said:

It's very fine snizzle here, but the winds are whipping up the snow drifts into a frenzy at times.  I can't imagine how severe it would be if we had a real heavy deluge of snow.  It's Wales and the South that are experiencing that though right now.

Snap! Your conditions are the same and I was literally thinking that if we had any decent snow falling it would be absolute chaos as it's blowing across the road anyways.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & storms. Or very hot. None of this raining when it's sunny rubbish
3 minutes ago, Winter Hill said:

Painful watching all that precipitation to my south... 

So disappointed .... have got a caravan in Skegness where there is loads but can’t get there! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, EastofWigan said:

So disappointed .... have got a caravan in Skegness where there is loads but can’t get there! 

You should have gone there for the start of the week, you'd be killing it for snow now - you'd be out doing even us in the pennines in terms of level snow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
5 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

I'm sure we will discuss this event in depth at some point but its of interest that many places west of Manchester saw little from this easterly,places like Oldham Rochdale Glossop on the edges of the pennines/peaks got absolutely pasted , its almost as if the clouds crossed the moors and emptied their load right on us and then evaporated as they headed west..

The lesson for me is 

a winds from NE/ENE/E are all good..

b winds from the SE are pants

c NW/WNW are absolutely rubbish when compared to a..

i was at work today but that blizzard this morning was literally 4 hours long, i went out for a break at 8 am and saw Civic centre Oldham vanish and thought, here comes the snow, and boy did it, it didnt stop until dinnertime.

Truly magical ..(and unforgettable week of weather).

Yep Oldham, Rochdale, Tameside & to a lesser extent parts of Stockport......are always the worst hit boroughs for snow in Gtr Manchester. Most other places are too low down for anything crazy unless something like January 2010 happens when even the city centre got a good 8-10 inches.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.
1 minute ago, Linda said:

Raining !!! Boo

Is it freezing rain? If so it will be treacherous and deadly. I've driven on it its horrible. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!
2 minutes ago, Linda said:

Raining !!! Boo

Raining where? Nearly all of UK is sub freezing, no idea how rain is possible anywhere near NW?

• Like 1

Posted

Snowing in Wallasey. Very small flakes just blowing everywhere

Posted
19 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

I'm sure we will discuss this event in depth at some point but its of interest that many places west of Manchester saw little from this easterly,places like Oldham Rochdale Glossop on the edges of the pennines/peaks got absolutely pasted , its almost as if the clouds crossed the moors and emptied their load right on us and then evaporated as they headed west..

The lesson for me is 

a winds from NE/ENE/E are all good..

b winds from the SE are pants

c NW/WNW are absolutely rubbish when compared to a..

i was at work today but that blizzard this morning was literally 4 hours long, i went out for a break at 8 am and saw Civic centre Oldham vanish and thought, here comes the snow, and boy did it, it didnt stop until dinnertime.

Truly magical ..(and unforgettable week of weather).

Opposite here. Anything with an e in the wind direction and it's almost bone dry here. Straight N delivers nothing either. We've got half a cm here on the grass in a few spots which in all honesty is more than I expected. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
6 minutes ago, i luv snow said:

Raining where? Nearly all of UK is sub freezing, no idea how rain is possible anywhere near NW?

Freezing rain. Supercooled water that flash freezes on impact.  Leads to sheet ice on roads and causes icing on power lines the weight of which can bring them down.  Freezing rain is more of a threat to power supplies than snow.  I saw a lot of that in the winter of 1962/63.

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog
2 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yep Oldham, Rochdale, Tameside & to a lesser extent parts of Stockport......are always the worst hit boroughs for snow in Gtr Manchester. Most other places are too low down for anything crazy unless something like January 2010 happens when even the city centre got a good 8-10 inches.

I'm 190m asl 

Don't consider myself low ground..the east regions alway get the worse of the weather from the east. I'm more central. Some member only 5 miles west of me have had very little snow. I've done OK, not great like the east members 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.
1 minute ago, Wardlegacy said:

I can imagine ice pellets or maybe freezing rain because of the upper warm front 

Not a chance this far north. Uppers are still very low 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!
Just now, Backtrack said:

Not a chance this far north. Uppers are still very low 

Exactly. I know what freezing rain is, but uppers across NW are too low right now. Must be snizzle or snow pellets which appear rain-like

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, Wardlegacy said:

I can imagine ice pellets or maybe freezing rain because of the upper warm front 

Its really fine snow - it must be, I remember thinking I had sleet first sat in feb 12 and gave everyone a hert attack in here because they thought given my location that meant game over for everyone else west and I checked again and it was fine snow - I think people thought I was trolling.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

XC weather actually reporting freezing rain at Manchester airport. This could be a disaster!!!

• Like 1