Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North west regional discussion

Mokidugway

Posted
41 minutes ago, I Cumbria Marra I said:

Half of my garden has a dusting from this last night, and we've had very very light snowfall for hours which has amounted to nothing but nowt falling now.

same here nothing all day 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

Absolutely insane out there wow. A good six inches on the ground at 7am with decent drifts in exposed places. Now an absolute snizzle storm. Raging winds. Fantastic. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

Looking at some of the pics on twitter of saddleworth it really is something to behold..

Literally incredible scenes.

This radar is underestimating it - its very fine so wont accumulate but its been continuous horizontal snowfall now for 2 hours - if what is going on here isn't danger to life then I don't know what is - the lampposts are moving a few feet side to side - its a severer gal possibly storm force wind and snow at the same time  - went out earlier and saw a load of snow fly about 30 feet in the air from ground and about 50 feet away.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

I am seriously envious of them southerners right now!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny Summers/Cold Wintry Winters
1 minute ago, Darren Bown said:

I think it’s all anoprop.

Not all of the showers are though still going here been snowing since 2 this afternoon now. I guess the actual precipitation is up to Chester/Ellesmere Port maybe a bit further north?

Posted
1 minute ago, Darren Bown said:

I think it’s all anoprop.

It doesn't "look" like anomalous propagation though, as it normally has a distinctive look to it

It's annoying though that we can't track the snow and cling onto last hope with the radar being wrong

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
17 minutes ago, Darren Bown said:

Is the strengthening wind because the centre of emma is further NE, squeezing the air over the top of it?

That’s what I’m thinking. The pressure being lower would suggest this also. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

This radar is underestimating it - its very fine so wont accumulate but its been continuous horizontal snowfall now for 2 hours - if what is going on here isn't danger to life then I don't know what is - the lampposts are moving a few feet side to side - its a severer gal possibly storm force wind and snow at the same time  - went out earlier and saw a load of snow fly about 30 feet in the air from ground and about 50 feet away.

It’s dangerous out there. Very. I wonder whether the Met Office winter relies on radar and models or official repeats and doesn’t trust what people are telling them.

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

agreed.

i think its worse than feb 1991, so you can change your avatar now :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Posted
1 minute ago, Summerstorm said:

Not all of the showers are though still going here been snowing since 2 this afternoon now. I guess the actual precipitation is up to Chester/Ellesmere Port maybe a bit further north?

That’s the problem, the radar for everything from the midlands northwards doesn’t look definite.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

According to the radar I am right at the edge of whatever is falling and it’s been the same for the last two hours.

It looks like drizzle but temperatures are well below freezing and it isn’t icing everything up so must be snow grains although it’s probably just fine snow blowing off the tops.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Moderate snow!!!

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Backtrack said:

Moderate snow!!!

Brilliant - glad you’re seeing something more, and that the radar isn’t completely lying either! ?

Posted

Had a few surprise dustings here this week, nice to see dry snow blowing around. Nothing really of note though as is usual with the easterly.  I still think this low has a look of that 2013 low, note it's further east already.  Watch for further corrections.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Its now starting to slide north west towards Ireland.

Posted
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

agreed.

i think its worse than feb 1991, so you can change your avatar now :)

I don't know about up here with 1991, I was in Birmingham and got 11 inches in 5 and a half hours but the wind is much worse now.

Posted

It's very fine snizzle here, but the winds are whipping up the snow drifts into a frenzy at times.  I can't imagine how severe it would be if we had a real heavy deluge of snow.  It's Wales and the South that are experiencing that though right now.

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I don't know about up here with 1991, I was in Birmingham and got 11 inches in 5 and a half hours but the wind is much worse now.

imho this is more severe than 1991 :)

Posted

Winds blowing drifts massively here.... really wow never seen anything like it... two inch snow drift on front door mat inside... never seen that... garage inside has six inch drift from gap underneath... it’s not Baltic it’s antarctic... temp -4c must be -20/-25c windchill... local pub quiz on though and city match... woohoo...

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, storms
15 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

According to the radar it is snowing in Liverpool.

Hope it is and that it pushes a wee bit further north :)

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Wardlegacy said:

It’s dangerous out there. Very. I wonder whether the Met Office winter relies on radar and models or official repeats and doesn’t trust what people are telling them.

To be fair, we are still under a yellow which still states 5-10 cm is possible - I suppose because others aren't getting it, they cant really put loads of tiny little ambers and red's up, its not an exact scince but you would think with the tightness of the isobars, you would have thought a separate amber wind alert superimposed over the map covering the areas where the strongest wind is likely would have been appropriate.