Cold?
IGNORED

North west regional discussion

Mokidugway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

We’ve just been talking about it on the previous page 

Posted

MET app for moorside oldham has upgraded to heavy snow tues morning with a 80/90 % chance :)

Lets hope things continue to upgrade for everyone over the coming days..

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog
1 minute ago, Gary R Betreen said:

Well off to Entwistl  Resi  for a walk  in the sun and will be well wrapped up.   Guess by next weekend the place will be cut off.

Very high part of Bolton.. that area will do well 

Posted
Just now, Winter Hill said:

Very high part of Bolton.. that area will do well 

Absolutely!

I think Bolton,Rochdale,Bury will do very very well, no shelter from the pennines ..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
12 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

yes i see from meto app liverpool expected to be 4 today and 3 mon and tue, perhaps a little high for lying snow in late Feb.

Despite the uppers altitude will be a factor this coming week, no doubt about it.(and being further away from the coast will help).

Sorry but I think that’s rubbish. 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Gary R Betreen said:

Well off to Entwistl  Resi  for a walk  in the sun and will be well wrapped up.   Guess by next weekend the place will be cut off.

We went there yesterday and the wind was bitter. A lot of ice in the shade too.

Posted
Just now, Astral Goat Juice said:

Agreed. Altitude will play zero part. 

Dew points are well below. Uppers are ridiculous. Air temp is well below freezing, 510 DAM line is well past Ireland. 

If anything falls it will be snow. 

Well again,you might be right, but then again the app suggesting below zero by day here all the way through the week but 2's and 3s further west? :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
Just now, Astral Goat Juice said:

Agreed. Altitude will play zero part. 

Dew points are well below. Uppers are ridiculous. Air temp is well below freezing, 510 DAM line is well past Ireland. 

If anything falls it will be snow. 

Yes of course. The only problem with being near the coast and on low ground will be how many showers survive the journey to me, but as the flow strengthens by Wednesday I don’t see that as a problem then either. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Actually given very low dewpoints snow can fall and settle to fairly high temperatures. The ground will be frozen most of the week despite temperatures above 0C at times

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.
Just now, northwestsnow said:

Well again,you might be right, but then again the app suggesting below zero by day here all the way through the week but 2's and 3s further west? :)

Being close to the western coast plays no part in daytime maxima in an easterly. It’ll be equally as cold in most areas. No where is safe from dangerously low day time and night time temperatures. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, SP1986 said:

Actually given very low dewpoints snow can fall and settle to fairly high temperatures. The ground will be frozen most of the week despite temperatures above 0C at times

yes im sure thats right steve.

Its only normal for temps to be a couple of degrees colder here, and the saying is knock a degree of for every 100m you climb, i think :D

Posted
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

I’m not worried :-) those figures will be overestimated and I think surface temperatures will have little bearing  on events next week. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

To gague an idea of the track of these showers , all it takes is an analogue of a completely different scenario to work out where the showers will hit. Despite being a different time of year 10th August 2003 may give us a clue as to how these showers might behave in terms of distribution

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bitter Cold in winter and Extreme heat in summer

I'm sure you know you can have heavy snow at 4c. As long as other parameters are met of course. I'd be amazed if anything other than snow fell between now and friday

Posted

Let’s do a little test today. WRF wants a maximum of 5.8°C here today, let’s see what it ends up as. Obviously the cold air hasn’t even arrived yet. I’ll do it again tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

To gague an idea of the track of these showers , all it takes is an analogue of a completely different scenario to work out where the showers will hit. Despite being a different time of year 10th August 2003 may give us a clue as to how these showers might behave in terms of distribution

I got a great thunderstorm that morning. Only 8 at the time so can’t remember much about it. That was an Easterly as well then? 

Posted
Just now, Chris.R said:

Let’s do a little test today. WRF wants a maximum of 5.8°C here today, let’s see what it ends up as. Obviously the cold air hasn’t even arrived yet. I’ll do it again tomorrow. 

Bare in mind whilst were close our temperatures may very a bit. I expect mine will be a little higher than yours today then when the deep cold moves in yours will be a little higher than here.

Posted
1 minute ago, SP1986 said:

Bare in mind whilst were close our temperatures may very a bit. I expect mine will be a little higher than yours today then when the deep cold moves in yours will be a little higher than here.

Yeah I reckon so. 

Posted
Just now, Chris.R said:

I got a great thunderstorm that morning. Only 8 at the time so can’t remember much about it. That was an Easterly as well then? 

Yes.. it was a cold front but it bumped up against a continental high and was aligned similar to the met office FAX chart.. those showers started in Newcastle area and developed along the line spreading southwestward a across the front.. a line from Newcastle to North Wales received intense showers.. and they kept on moving NE-SW

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Sunny here but I see some fluffy clouds coming by.

Posted
6 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

Yes.. it was a cold front but it bumped up against a continental high and was aligned similar to the met office FAX chart.. those showers started in Newcastle area and developed along the line spreading southwestward a across the front.. a line from Newcastle to North Wales received intense showers.. and they kept on moving NE-SW

Wow it would be nice to get something like that in summer again. It would be fun to look north-east for storms instead of Sout-west. 

Edited by Chris.R