Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North west regional discussion

Mokidugway

Posted
1 minute ago, frosty ground said:

Max temp of -4 on wednesday for my location.

Be about -3 here..

I just looked at the GFS18Z snow charts and i think the shovel might be needed next week if thats ANYWHERE near right..

Posted

A less benign setup but the March 2013 SSW event was quite a shock to me as to just how much 'energy' easterlies can produce when it comes to powder-snowdrifts. Pictures don't do it much justice but at times the drifts were well above my height of 5'5 and some field-walls completely overrun with snow.

02.thumb.jpg.cc9eca2c95d79cd4f617853d1f6d270d.jpg14.thumb.jpg.6ea4847bf6720c29b8dbbd317a078375.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

A less benign setup but the March 2013 SSW event was quite a shock to me as to just how much 'energy' easterlies can produce when it comes to powder-snowdrifts. Pictures don't do it much justice but at times the drifts were well above my height of 5'5 and some field-walls completely overrun with snow.

02.thumb.jpg.cc9eca2c95d79cd4f617853d1f6d270d.jpg14.thumb.jpg.6ea4847bf6720c29b8dbbd317a078375.jpg

Yes i got pics of snowdrifts up to my waste in Strinesdale oldham in march 2013-there was no issue with snow showers getting over the hills that particular day either ..

altho i seem to recall a rather swift thaw..

Edited by northwestsnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter, heatwaves in summer :)
56 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Be about -3 here..

I just looked at the GFS18Z snow charts and i think the shovel might be needed next week if thats ANYWHERE near right..

If you are going to need a shovel I think we will need the bulldozers out up here. We did with last proper beasterly. 

As for meto they always fail to show snow penetrating western parts over the pennies on their forecasting and warnings.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme events.

Still not expecting much for anyone, certainly not in my location at least. Will definitely be an 'all east affair'. Given how this winter has gone so far I am fully expecting to miss out here at least here in south lakes anyway. We have had enough chances with north westerlies that have petered out and not delivered. Sorry guys I know you don't like my honesty but I have been bang on so far this winter.

• Thanks 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Barmada_Casten said:

Still not expecting much for anyone, certainly not in my location at least. Will definitely be an 'all east affair'. Given how this winter has gone so far I am fully expecting to miss out here at least here in south lakes anyway. We have had enough chances with north westerlies that have petered out and not delivered. Sorry guys I know you don't like my honesty but I have been bang on so far this winter.

I think you may be bang off this time, I've a feeling this one may be a bit special.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme events.
13 minutes ago, Simon_ said:

I think you may be bang off this time, I've a feeling this one may be a bit special.

That's fair enough mate and I respect your opinion. Just going off how things have gone so far this winter, particularly for me in my location with what has been countless disappointments. At least I think anything that does come across won't amount to much as the Pennines will break everything down, maybe the best we can fair is a couple cm's max. What irks me most is that whatever we get here in the north west the east will get 4x worse - that bothers me - so it will be a case if not watching any media outlooks next week. It really has been a truly bizzare but ultimately disappointing winter. BC.

Edited by Barmada_Casten
Addage
  • Like 1

Posted

I will leave this metoffice update for our region.

Outlook for Monday to Wednesday:

Staying bitterly cold, with snow showers and overnight sharp frosts. An increasing risk of heavy snow showers later Tuesday and into Wednesday, leading to the risk of disruption in places.

And the BBC for same period..

Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday

Sunday will be dry with sunny spells but it will feel cold. The start of next week will stay cold and breezy with a wind chill factor. Monday should stay largely dry with some sunshine but there will be an increasing chance of some snow showers later on Monday night and into Tuesday. Potential for some locally significant snow accumulations through Tuesday.

Fingers crosed guys its sounding gooooooood :D

• Like 2

Posted

There are that many snowy charts for our region on GFS00Z i wouldnt know where to start,,,but heres a couple.

No chart available for the selected hour. Many charts start at 3 hours ahead, so if you have 0 hours selected try stepping forward or selecting a later hour.

No chart available for the selected hour. Many charts start at 3 hours ahead, so if you have 0 hours selected try stepping forward or selecting a later hour.

This what we have all waited for guys,,, lets enjoy next week as it looks frigid until saturday/sunday with snow galore!!

• Like 2

Posted
39 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

I will leave this metoffice update for our region.

Outlook for Monday to Wednesday:

Staying bitterly cold, with snow showers and overnight sharp frosts. An increasing risk of heavy snow showers later Tuesday and into Wednesday, leading to the risk of disruption in places.

And the BBC for same period..

Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday

Sunday will be dry with sunny spells but it will feel cold. The start of next week will stay cold and breezy with a wind chill factor. Monday should stay largely dry with some sunshine but there will be an increasing chance of some snow showers later on Monday night and into Tuesday. Potential for some locally significant snow accumulations through Tuesday.

Fingers crosed guys its sounding gooooooood :D

Just to add with that text update i would be suprised if warnigs didnt go out today or at the latest tomorrow - siginficant accumulations suggests 10 -15 cm to me..

I'd be happy with 5 cm !!

Posted

Moorside Oldham is just a LOL on meto app this morning-

monday MAX 0 MIN -4 

tuesday  MAX -1 MIN -5 light snow

wednes   MAX -3 min -6 light snow

Thurs       MAX -3 min -5 light snow

Friday       MAX -2 MIN -5 light snow

Youd be forgiven for thinking that was a 5 dayer for moscow really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

CDCB2CA0-6FE1-4114-BF65-EEF465A299DC.thumb.png.539a3e7a7bb5bb9b56cce83a7411df81.png66A76431-DF3D-4032-A366-DA82F5C1E112.thumb.png.484cd9a6bbb9cad5e3b92cc8a07d2c8b.png

I just leave these here! Thise on wirral peninsula wont be complaining if this verifies!

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Stratocumulus perlucidus said:

CDCB2CA0-6FE1-4114-BF65-EEF465A299DC.thumb.png.539a3e7a7bb5bb9b56cce83a7411df81.png66A76431-DF3D-4032-A366-DA82F5C1E112.thumb.png.484cd9a6bbb9cad5e3b92cc8a07d2c8b.png

I just leave these here! Thise on wirral peninsula wont be complaining if this verifies!

Looks like a prime spot for fridays low !!

Posted
Just now, northwestsnow said:

Looks like a prime spot for fridays low !!

Sure does. Worst yet is GFS often downplays these things as it hits cold air!

Posted
Just now, Stratocumulus perlucidus said:

Sure does. Worst yet is GFS often downplays these things as it hits cold air!

sweet jeez theres well over a foot of snow there for crewe cold lol.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

sweet jeez theres well over a foot of snow there for crewe cold lol.

? if only it was inches!! Proper winter 3 day snow storm if it verifies

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Interesting snow forecasts.. still a fair way off though.

This morning it's currently 0.5C after a minimum of 0.2C presumably due to a cloudy night.