Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North west regional discussion

Mokidugway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
2 hours ago, captaincroc said:

I've been really thinking about the instability question... Lots of the more seasoned posters are pointing out the rarity of the temperatures, Dam values etc, if this is the case then isn't there more chance of heavy beefy showers making their way across the whole country? This isn't a normal -5 easterly on a brisk breeze, it seems extra normal, so was wondering if the models would pick up on this? Maybe they are underplaying the potential falls?  

Maybe a bit of hope casting but if the upper values etc make the atmosphere more volitile then could we be in for a more exciting period than the initial data suggests? (snow wise)

Absolutely 

On the rare occasions the north west has been pummelled from an Easterly we have had supposedly least favourite sypnotics on the majority of occasions.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
2 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Was it a top hat ????

Yes how did you know?are you following me? :D

Edited by SP1986
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Mokidugway said:

Was it a top hat ????

What's your Dianne Oxberry tinted glasses forecast for the week ahead then mate?

Posted
1 minute ago, Mokidugway said:

Copious amounts of drizzle and wife moaning about her sh/t clothes :rofl: 5000 mm of rain but at least it's mild 

I'll get my sledge ready then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I fully expect showers to easily pass over the Pennines comes Tuesday Wednesday. 

• Like 1

Posted

Copious amounts of drizzle and wife moaning about her sh/t clothes :rofl: 5000 mm of rain but at least it's mild 

I here Sara Blizzard is covering this week.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

I fully expect showers to easily pass over the Pennines comes Tuesday Wednesday. 

Pity the Germans didn't bomb the sh#t out of them during the war!

Posted

I heard it was Belinda Hadon....

:cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
26 minutes ago, Winter Hill said:

1979 will live in my memory and if I'm correct all that came from the East and North East.. must have been over a 18 inches of snow in my area.. up towards Belmont and Winter Hill there were 20 feet drifts in places.. a remarkable sight 

Quite a bit from Atlantic fronts stalling against the block as well but i’m pretty sure that some serious amounts came from the east.

oh for a repeat of the winter of 1979 although as it lasted for 10 weeks up here I wouldn’t fancy sitting down tonight knowing I had the full event in front of me.........the highlights will do.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog

Well all week I've not been taken in by the Stella charts... I've just watched a forecast from the MetO.. even he was Ramping.. 

This could make 2010 look bog standard 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

If there was a decent road tunnel under the Pennines there would be no bother getting showers through .

Here come the funnel clouds :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny summers, snowy winters
8 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

Having grown up in West Yorks and lived in South Manchester/North East Cheshire for the last 30 years I've experienced the weather from both sides of the Pennines. 

Unsurprisingly, I've been consistently disappointed with the snow episodes over here, and await telephone calls, texts, emails etc from family and friends from 'over the hills' with news of their snow depths. However, instead of the usual dry and sunny conditions an Easterly would normally bring us, my gut feel tells me we mag well get some long overdue settling snow over the next week or two. 

Posted

I'm trying to remember the times I've experienced significant snow. (Well, significant to me anyway!) However, dates may be hazy as most were when I was much (much) younger! Possibly December '81...I remember my dad trying to dig out orange mini out of the snow to get to work at the local power station! He didn't get very far... Abandoned the car two streets away and walked to work! January 1983... Got sent home from school at about 11am one morning as the snow was falling heavily onto already laying snow. No phone calls to parents... To be fair, not many of us had even landlines back then. We were just told to pick up our siblings and go home! What a jolly tramp through knee-deep snow that was! December 1985... It snowed so heavily that my mum and dad gave me and my sister our sledges before Xmas so we could get some use out of them. We took them to my nans house in Burnley and spent the weekend sledging down the steps on the back alley! Feb '91, Feb 96 and the December/January of 2009 and 2010 also stick in the mind too. I hope this coming block of weather creates memories for my kids to tell their kids about!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions
1 hour ago, iand61 said:

Never understood fingerless gloves myself but you’ll be needing Eskimo standard issue ones this time next week.

Fingerless gloves same as alcohol free wine...........no use at all

Posted

Bit of a ramp from Louise Lea there! Nice white blob moving across the region mon night too!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Looking like a very special spell of weather on the way, I would be very surprised if anyone misses out on a decent fall of snow next week. It's not looking marginal at all.