Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North west regional discussion

Mokidugway

Posted
17 minutes ago, chris78 said:

Very IMBY post here, we know on the west coast eaterlies arent great for snow, this isnt looking like an ordinary easterly though, as said above lots of lows popping up ,very unstable flow etc.     But this easterly isnt totally unprecedented, so are there any major historical easterlies that have ever delivered snow right to the west coast (not from the breakdown but from the eaterly itself) 

Chris an IMBY reply :)

All i can say is my dad who was 87 when he passed away last year said the snow we had in the run up to Christmas 2010/11 was the most severe he'd seen in Preston and he was a Prestonian from birth.

Posted
Just now, Snow free zone said:

All i can say is my dad who was 87 when he passed away last year said the snow we had in the run up to Christmas 2010/11 was the most severe he'd seen in Preston and he was a Prestonian from birth.

Yeah that the worry I had......and to confirm, my father in law, 82 this year, said exactly the same.    Worse thing is, 2010 was less than 6 inches (?) cetinly wasnt near a foot,   and that the best its been in 70+ years, thats incredible. 

Although I have told that story on here before and others have questioned it, maybe they were both forgetting an event?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

This area of snow I've been tracking is now down to 102hrs on the ECM (Tues am).

Still looking good.

180223_0000_102.thumb.png.dfadb23b28c511fab9ff859b1ef31f6e.png180223_0000_108.thumb.png.5c08d299558ded4f0da9c9558d6e71bb.png

Could be a good start to this brutal cold spell quite early on and any snow on the ground certainly will not melt for some time.

BLOODY BITTER!!!

ECU0-120.GIF.thumb.png.09ee4a949e5e416bcea462b33bf364b1.pngECU0-144.GIF.thumb.png.64a2f40772b20104a34e32f2d44dc3ea.png

Met Office.

Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday:

Dry and sunny on Sunday. Turning bitterly cold by Monday, but cloudier with scattered snow showers in the east. On Tuesday snow showers will affect most parts of the region.

Edited by Day 10
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, chris78 said:

Yeah that the worry I had......and to confirm, my father in law, 82 this year, said exactly the same.    Worse thing is, 2010 was less than 6 inches (?) cetinly wasnt near a foot,   and that the best its been in 70+ years, thats incredible. 

Although I have told that story on here before and others have questioned it, maybe they were both forgetting an event?

Selective memory is certainly possible to be fair, lots of people know that the 70s and 80s were snowy periods but can't always pick out the years of when the hardest snowfall was, all you mostly hear is Jan 87 and Dec 81.

That said, I be surprised if showers did make it across the Pennines  it be troughs and fronts that will more likely to hit they west coast, one to watch of course.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

6z seems to upgraded the cold now. :cold:

Happy Days!! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Ive just been accused of scaremongering on a gardening forum. So be careful how you tell people or you might end up as public enemy no. 1

If you tell anyone then make sure you sugarcoat it with the words mild and uncertain so not to offend anyone.

Edited by SP1986

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters
3 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

Ive just been accused of scaremongering on a gardening forum. So be careful how you tell people or you might end up as public enemy no. 1

If you tell anyone then make sure you sugarcoat it with the words mild and uncertain so not to offend anyone.

Its ok, if (when) it happens you can go on and say i told you so. ? 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
2 hours ago, chris78 said:

I have no doubt a great cold spell is coming, and very little doubt that people in the east of the region will see snow maybe lots.  For the snow starved west coast, much less hopeful, we know all the models tend do overdo snow.     I did say much less hopeful, I do think there is a chance even here.

Im going to try and not obsess too much over snow, this looks like being a memorable spell without it

Yes - but what about Salwick?!!!

Posted

LOL GFS 6z prolongs the cold thru next weekend!!

dews  negative from now until next sunday on6z which means anything falling out of the sky between now and then will be SNOW :)

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.
22 minutes ago, Snow free zone said:

December 2010 was epic here on the Fylde Coast - remember it so well. Huge cloud mass off the Irish Sea hitting the cold air and no 'option' but to give masses of heavy snow. My own uneducated thoughts here now are that being on the the coast MAY actually help with Irish Sea born lows and pockets of unstable air giving heavy prolonged snow/showers which would settle and accumulate in the v low temperature. Just my hopeful IMBY take though... :-) 

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, Snow free zone said:

Yes - my father said the same 2010 was severe and he is 91.

He missed 1947 as he was away in the Far East with the army - I was born in November 62 and it was tin baths in front of the fire - in 63 we all slept downstairs apparently (terraced house Lane Ends area).but dont remember much I got christened about July!

Posted
1 minute ago, snowdrifter said:

December 2010 was epic here on the Fylde Coast - remember it so well. Huge cloud mass off the Irish Sea hitting the cold air and no 'option' but to give masses of heavy snow. My own uneducated thoughts here now are that being on the the coast MAY actually help with Irish Sea born lows and pockets of unstable air giving heavy prolonged snow/showers which would settle and accumulate in the v low temperature. Just my hopeful IMBY take though... :-) 

Yes - I was on a certain airfield near your windmill then - 10" of snow easily.

Posted
3 minutes ago, snowdrifter said:

Im not sure thats possible as the wind will be easterly, so any Irish sea showers will head to Ireland?

Edited by chris78

Posted

So as we get closer to this lovely cold snap\spell, which I am looking forward to very much, it is starting to look like my choice of a day out in Wales with my parents could well be the worst day I could have picked, any thoughts as to it not being a good idea to head Betws y Coed that day?? :cc_confused:

Posted
30 minutes ago, chris78 said:

Was 10" on Warton airfield easily were there is no traffic.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
2 minutes ago, griff74 said:

So as we get closer to this lovely cold snap\spell, which I am looking forward to very much, it is starting to look like my choice of a day out in Wales with my parents could well be the worst day I could have picked, any thoughts as to it not being a good idea to head Betws y Coed that day?? :cc_confused:

I'd say go on Thursday next week.. or Llangollen .. climb up to the ruin and feel the insane windchill

Posted
Just now, Iceaxecrampon said:

Was 10" on Warton airfield easily were there is no traffic.

Cheers,  I dont think it was that deep in centre of Preston (i live near Avenham Park) but it could be selective memory?

Im really interested now, can anyone recollect or find evidence of any snow in Preston from an easterly? 

Posted
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Screenshot_20180223-100120.png.e20f17557fb6517bbe8b363df62fb324.png

from metoffice apparently

This smells of fake news given that Wales would almost certainly included along with southern Scotland or would at least have yellow first. Hmmm

Edited by SP1986

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

It'll probably still rain in our region under the -20C uppers hahaha

Posted
5 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

I'd say go on Thursday next week.. or Llangollen .. climb up to the ruin and feel the insane windchill

I don't think my elderly parents would be up for that! lol

I think I will just play it by ear!!

Posted
6 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

This smells of fake news given that Wales would almost certainly included along with southern Scotland or would at least have yellow first. Hmmm

It' a public health England cold health warning hence only England has got the amber colours on that chart. I be shocked if it does not upgrade to  a red warning because the wind chill from this will be very serious indeed.

Edited by Geordiesnow

Posted
1 minute ago, griff74 said:

I don't think my elderly parents would be up for that! lol

I think I will just play it by ear!!

You can do it while they eat in the cafe!

Posted
2 minutes ago, chris78 said:

Cheers,  I dont think it was that deep in centre of Preston (i live near Avenham Park) but it could be selective memory?

Im really interested now, can anyone recollect or find evidence of any snow in Preston from an easterly? 

Obviously with what I do we go looking for the extreme conditions - been waist deep in it at time particularly once near Harrison Stickle before I took an "interesting" ice slip.

But locally......

About 6" on the Garden Table at Salwick

And

1979 skiiing and sledging on Ingol golf course

1981 got stuck at work on nightshift

1987 car broke down in Garstang - it was a long walk home

1995? previous terraced house we lived in drifts up to the window cill

2001 my son was born it was snow and ice days at Salwick

2010 The best.

Are the most memorable - I dont have time today but there are the Model archives on this site - maybe have a look.

• Thanks 1