Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North west regional discussion

Mokidugway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
2 hours ago, Barmada_Casten said:

Pretty much what I think. Certainly won't be following with any avid interest thats for sure!

What are you searching for then!? -50 with 200 feet of snow!!! If you can't get excited over these charts and the prospect of a countrywide and possibly historic cold/snow spell then what are you on here for you bundle of happiness and joy!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters
7 minutes ago, captaincroc said:

I still haven't told anyone yet...feeling a possible Facebook post tonight.

Are you quite mad? You might aswell cancel the forcast yourself!!

Posted
Just now, Day 10 said:

What are you searching for then!? -50 with 200 feet of snow!!! If you can't get excited over these charts and the prospect of a countrywide and possibly historic cold/snow spell then what are you on here for you bundle of happiness and joy!!!

For me the difference is this time that the temps are going to be so low that most snow falling will stick. Will only take a good few showers to create a good cover and then with the blowing in the wind it will cause chaos.

Posted
1 minute ago, captaincroc said:

For me the difference is this time that the temps are going to be so low that most snow falling will stick. Will only take a good few showers to create a good cover and then with the blowing in the wind it will cause chaos.

Yes exactly mate, even light to moderate showers will be ok. We will all get to know how Will feels every bloody Winter living in Buxton. :D

• Like 2

Posted
43 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

The ECM also picking something up at 120 now too, notice the kink in the isobars right over us = snow.

ECU1-120.GIF.thumb.png.6309a430677db107875c54c911e2c823.pngECU0-120.GIF.thumb.png.50ed791d0b8a88ecca2f5ae0da053ce8.png

Similar to the ICON earlier, snow coming across from the Northeast.

180222_1200_120.thumb.png.3a001f649d824eb502de405a14b469bc.png

Posted
2 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Yes exactly mate, even light to moderate showers will be ok. We will all get to know how Will feels every bloody Winter living in Buxton. :D

Like Crewe said, being at elevation makes all the difference. I'm at 172m (15 mins from work in Crewe) and the most noticeable difference that has given is the actual sticking of the snow. Most times it's snowing here it's snowing in Crewe, difference is it sticks.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters
1 hour ago, Day 10 said:

Similar to the ICON earlier, snow coming across from the Northeast.

180222_1200_120.thumb.png.3a001f649d824eb502de405a14b469bc.png

Might be another low centre or shortwave.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
1 hour ago, Day 10 said:

I'm going to predict now that at some point in March, Buxton gets cut off. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Day 10 said:

Yes, oh my days! These charts surpass 2010 if they go on to verify, the exciting part for me is even a watered down affair will deliver big time.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
1 minute ago, Ramp said:

I'm going to predict now that at some point in March, Buxton gets cut off. 

I’m gonna predict that if the models come off anything like they are showing a lot of places will be cut off including a few in our region.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
6 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

I'm predicting I won't ,as I have enough gear to dig myself out of a collapsed drift mine :yahoo:

Thought you’d sold it all off.

Posted

Surprised that MAN was reporting a westerly component to the wind this evening with arrivals landing on the usual 23R instead of 05R as they have been doing the past couple of days. All change at weekend however with 05R/L being used for landings for at least the next week. I was planning on visiting around Mobberley but given the windchill is forecast a knee-shaking -12'c for Sunday/Monday I think i'll be keeping put at home.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

I'm not sure what to make of this forthcoming cold spell, yes the models are looking like the arctic has dropped south but the BBC weather page for Wigan has sunny/cloudy skies and temps between -2c & 6c all next week , hardly out of the ordinary (apart from the lack of rain), what do they know that we don't.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/0/2633948

Edited by Spurry

Posted
Just now, Mokidugway said:

I buy and sell the stuff now ,had to do something to stop going nuts 

Oh right, anyway keep one free for when i’m snowed in up to the bedroom windows.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Spurry said:

I'm not sure what to make of this forthcoming cold spell, yes the models are looking like the arctic has dropped south but the BBC weather page for Wigan has sunny/cloudy skies and temps between -1c & 6c all next week , hardly out of the ordinary (apart from the lack of rain), what do they know that we don't.

Maybe we know something that they don’t. :)

Posted

The apps aren't that good to be honest, they chop and change more times than an indecisive chameleon... even on the day of an actual 'snow' event they will change their graphics according to last minute downgrades/upgrades... I mean they could be right, and it could be fairly non-descriptive for our region next week.. but it will be bitterly cold in the easterly winds even if we don't get the powdery falls of snow.

Latest model runs have hinted at prospects of some snow reaching even our parts.  However don't go putting any money down on it yet.

Edited by dodgeredee
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
4 hours ago, Barmada_Casten said:

Don't be ridiculous! :rofl:

I can assure you we won't be in the level 4 category in this part of the country! Where have you been this winter!

I hope you realise that it is the east of the country that will be affected by this easterly, we wont get anything major here I can assure you!!

I was actually referring to the East and SE but there is a stong possibility that the country will be affected from all angles.

The M62 and A628 have extremely heavy lorry traffic all hours of the day cutting to the M1 and A1 and to and from Hull for the ferries over to the continent. Where I live, we do get affected from the East as it funnels down the valley from Woodhead allowing the weather to hop over.

If you look at the criteria that qualifies for level 3/4 and the longevity of this cold spell, theres every chance we will get to the highest cold weather alert.

• Like 2

Posted

It is interesting that we do not have any cold weather warnings around keeping an eye on the elderly and also warning people of potential frozen then burst pipes.  Looking at the charts this cold a snowy end to winter will surpass 2009/2010

Posted
27 minutes ago, Spurry said:

I'm not sure what to make of this forthcoming cold spell, yes the models are looking like the arctic has dropped south but the BBC weather page for Wigan has sunny/cloudy skies and temps between -2c & 6c all next week , hardly out of the ordinary (apart from the lack of rain), what do they know that we don't.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/0/2633948

The clue is in the link

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Just for some perspective, the winter of 1683-84 would make this upcoming spell seem like a tropical holiday.

• Like 1