Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North west regional discussion

Mokidugway

Posted
32 minutes ago, cheshire cat said:

From your excellent knowledge of the historic weather, does the later part of next week, (which may not happen) have any similarities to 91?  Do you have a link to the archives please? 

If you look at some of the great easterlies of the past , you see a patch blue or deep blues in the 500hpa flows that may sweep across the UK. That tends to be when the air is the most unstable and heaviest snowfalls. ECM 0z shows this at 240hrs put a touch further south.

NOAA_1_1987011306_1.pngNOAA_1_1991020718_1.pngNOAA_1_1979021506_1.pngNOAA_1_1931030912_1.png

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
37 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Only a week last Monday, there were flurries of snow and that was a very weak affair and we were under high pressure. 

I find that forecasts at least past ones underestimated snow prospects at least for Greater Manchester in an easterly flow.

Totally agree, been many times an easterly has delivered deep snow and I have witnessed the hills to my east vanish as snow moves over from the north sea then not long after I have snow here too, Greater Manchester is a long way east in the region. I prefer easterlys and north-easterlys they give nice powdery snow instead of the wet kind from the west which lasts all of 5 mins. Obviously those in the west of the region sometimes miss out in an easterly flow purely for being a long way west, often showers die out before they get there so I can understand their despondency when one is forecast.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Easterly is much better than North Easterly, showers dont even get over the pennines in a northeasterly, but they do occasionally in an easterly, have had 2 inches from snow showers in an easterly before, although very rare.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, itsnowjoke said:

Just cold

and sunny

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

And warm 

And bright

Posted
25 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

And effervescent :cc_confused:

Isn't that what you've taken for your wind 

Posted

yes a period of no mans land now, hoping we see an explosive easterly before the end of feb..

the one in 2013 was great, but by the middle of march even with uppers of -10 or lower the sun will still go to work,

12Zs are another delay, anymore delays and its curtains for a freeze, imho.

Posted
Just now, northwestsnow said:

yes a period of no mans land now, hoping we see an explosive easterly before the end of feb..

the one in 2013 was great, but by the middle of march even with uppers of -10 or lower the sun will still go to work,

12Zs are another delay, anymore delays and its curtains for a freeze, imho.

Toys being thrown out the pram all over the place in the mad thread right now lol. 

Before the end of Feb would be ideally as would something like what you guys saw in March 2013 (where I was living at the time missed out).

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

Toys being thrown out the pram all over the place in the mad thread right now lol. 

Before the end of Feb would be ideally as would something like what you guys saw in March 2013 (where I was living at the time missed out).

This may be controversial but I have for a long time being want to say this but Nick Sussex baffles me, does he know he lives in the south of France? He talks about everything as though he still lives in the country, I am not arguing about giving his analysis (although I get the impression he plays to the crowd) but a little more neutral and more input on how the models will affect his area. But he never talks about the weather for his area. For someone lives in his location and obvious interest in weather, his got very little to say about it. 

Its a bit like a neighbour 6 houses down talking about your goings on in your household but nothing to say about theirs. :unknw:

1 minute ago, Weather-history said:

This may be controversial but I have for a long time being want to say this but Nick Sussex baffles me, does he know he lives in the south of France? He talks about everything as though he still lives in the country, I am not arguing about giving his analysis (although I get the impression he plays to the crowd) but a little more neutral and more input on how the models will affect his area. But he never talks about the weather for his area. For someone lives in his location and obvious interest in weather, his got very little to say about it. 

Its a bit like a neighbour 6 houses down talking about your goings on in your household but nothing to say about theirs. :unknw:

Scottish skier and mike Meehan neither contribute to weather other than their politic bent ,lol

Posted
8 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Scottish skier and mike Meehan neither contribute to weather other than their politic bent ,lol

Token at the best. 

If you think about it all true weather lovers are IMBYies and should be IMO. We want the best of any weather events, we want the snow front to stall overhead, we want the polar low to hit us, we want the thunderstorm to hit us etc. If Nick Sussex tells us that "stuff you lot, that easterly is mine." it wouldn't be bother me. 

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Rain with a hint of sleet this morning and a short spell of back edge snow before the clearance to bright sunshine this afternoon.

I’ll file that one in the downgrade tray although it’s getting full now so think I need a larger tray.

in the meantime I better get the shovel out and clear the latest fall of potential off the drive before tomorrow’s lot arrives.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
29 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

That snow event at the end of March 2013 still haunts me more than any snow event, a SE wind for some reason is rubbish for here yet Easterlys or NE wind is fine, there was places in western Cumbria that rarely get snow that showed lorries buried at cab level in that area and people having to be rescued. It was gutting to only get no more than a dusting that day.

Posted

Seen as the weather's shit and we're allowed to talk about food, how about a completely unrelated weather chat. Will we ever be able to bury a metre ruler/yardstick?

I managed to easily bury one of those 30cm/1ft rulers in Jan 2010 (had to dig out a yardstick to measure it, in the north east), so this is obviously the next logical goal! So what kind of synoptics are we looking at for over a metre of snow? Armageddon! that would be record breaking lol. 

Posted

Seen as the weather's a bit drab and we're allowed to talk about food, how about a completely unrelated weather chat. Will we ever be able to bury a metre ruler/yardstick?

I managed to easily bury one of those 30cm/1ft rulers in Jan 2010 (had to dig out a yardstick to measure it, in the north east), so this is obviously the next logical goal! So what kind of synoptics are we looking at for over a metre of snow? Armageddon! that would be record breaking lol.