Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North west regional discussion

Mokidugway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
1 minute ago, damianslaw said:

Well that would be rather odd. Ambleside gets about the same amount of snow as Windermere, and has had quite a few snowfalls, just like we have.

Some parts are as low as 56M, maybe lower.

Posted
5 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Well that would be rather odd. Ambleside gets about the same amount of snow as Windermere, and has had quite a few snowfalls, just like we have. Its within the snowy central lakes zone, we are just on the southern boundary and do well, when places a few miles south don't, just enough height, proximity to the fells and distance from the coast.

Ambleside is low-lying compared to Windermere though. Barmada_Casten might be about Clappersgate end which is just 50m or so. 

That said it's not a far walk to see any snow in that part of the world; so it's a bit disingenuous to present yourself as snow starved when a half hour round trip walk would get you to see snow when many parts of the region would have been left with a much longer walk last night. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Deep Snow please said:

Ambleside is low-lying compared to Windermere though. Barmada_Casten might be about Clappersgate end which is just 50m or so. 

That said it's not a far walk to see any snow in that part of the world; so it's a bit disingenuous to present yourself as snow starved when a half hour round trip walk would get you to see snow when many parts of the region would have been left with a much longer walk last night. 

Yes you don't have to venture too far to see snow in these parts. An hours walk from the valley floor can take you into a winter wonderland scene. Its only a 15 minute drive to Kirkstone Pass as well at 1500ft.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry

Aye, there's a trend on the Lakeland Passes for folk to ignore road closed signs....Been a few ...recoveries over the last 3 or 4 days....that's caught a few folk by surprise! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Barmada_Casten said:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: 'The Lakes look good for snow' LOL! We have pretty much missed out on everything for this and the last few winters!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Didn't the lakes get snow lastnight? There are far worse places than the lakes in our region for snow mate!

Posted
13 minutes ago, itsnowjoke said:

Dianne having a mild ramp again

:bad:

Posted
1 hour ago, Mokidugway said:

-90 c here :cold:

Dark again

Posted
30 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Didn't the lakes get snow lastnight? There are far worse places than the lakes in our region for snow mate!

Aye in South Lakes we had a sprinkling, some places more than others. I'd say on balance where I live we probably have an above average hit rate for snow. Several minor events since last significant episode in March 2013

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Deep Snow please said:

Ambleside v similar height asl as Coniston, snow overnight down to lake level first thing, but due to the showery nature of the ppn overnight it's hit and miss.

Having lived here all my life ...that's 50 years and spent a fair bit of time driving about and / Or in the hills I reckon overall apart from extraordinary situations the lakes will be as reliable as anywhere in England for snow, even at low elevations.

I can't think of a valley floor within the lakes at sub ~40m asl

Edited by JeffC

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Interesting days weather coming up dependent on which of the models you look at.

could be snowy, could be heavy snow.

on the other hand it could be rain or even a mainly dry day.

my heart says heavy driving snow with blizzard conditions, my head says a bit of sleet and cold rain with dry spells in between.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Valley and Isle of Man METAR showing rain/snow currently. Wind has veered there also. 

Posted

I’m at 4c this morning. Not quite sure what BBC we’re playing at yesterday showing snow quite widely in many areas north of wales...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Flakes wizzing past the lamppost. 

Very windy, roof creaking.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Currently staying at Whitbarrow Hall just of the A66 between Penrith and Keswick at around 1000ft.

Good covering of snow when I arrived yesterday and its snowing steadily outside now.

Went mountain biking in the snow at Whinlatter Forest yesterday. The views of Skiddaw and Blencathra were stunning.

• Like 1

Posted

I'm sorry but the new BBC graphics are very misleading, even Matt Taylor this morning had to cover his tracks by saying don't worry about the white here that's just snow on the hills! Well not everywhere is a hill so they need to sort that out as it's gone backwards! :nonono:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Snow now reported on Caernarfon METAR

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Its very marginal even at 300m asl but coming down nicely. Only an inch on top of old snow. (Between Keswick and Penrith)

20180213_081720.thumb.jpg.3625f04dc0bae44505ecf150ff2d573a.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

I don't think it will snow here today. I'm expecting it be sleet at best by 12pm then it clears away.

I'm more interested for the potential cold spell end of this month.

Edited by pip22

Posted
5 minutes ago, pip22 said:

I don't think it will snow here today. I'm expecting it be sleet at best by 12pm then it clears away.

I'm more interested for the potential cold spell end of this month.

The ECM easterly is really juicy and if it is then followed by an Arctic northerly I will be happy.

• Like 2

Posted

Heavy rain and hail now.