Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - proper cold spell inbound?

Paul

Posted

Looked at the ECM ensembles and the clusters - and as I suspected, the clusters (or should I say cluster as there's only one again) are for the bin after D10. 

When checking all the ECM ensemble members at D15, I'd say there's a 50/50 split between substantial northern blocking, and a more normal winter pattern of Azores High / low to the NW.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The GEFS 6z mean looks generally zonal with alternating colder showery / milder wet and windy phases with short-lived calmer interludes but eventually the flow veers meridional towards the end with arctic air drawn south as we see a large scandi trough and mid atlantic high / ridge.:)

21_372_500mb.png

21_372_850tmp.png

• Thanks 2

Posted
2 hours ago, stodge said:

Morning all :)

One or two excellent comments last night to counterbalance the trolls. No one ever said the coming week was going to produce "feet of disruptive snow" and while my part of lowland East London is dry, very cold and clear currently, who knows what the day and the Thames Estuary might bring ?

• This is somewhat incorrect in my view. Perhaps best to take some peoples posts with a pinch of salt. I see certain peoples names now and quickly scroll down to the next before one of my fuses blows due to over ramping, but it saddens me that as soon as anyone has recently posted views similar to what I've also been seeing, that they are immediately set upon and are subjected to the kind of treatment seen in the closing scenes of The Wicker Man. A lot of us want snow, but we've been here so many times over the years people have a right to be cautious. I haven't the time to scroll though all of last weeks over the top posts, but I've included just one example of many below. it might be good to remember some of us have differing views, despite wanting the same end result, and to call people trolls just because they don't see what you see really isn't on. The exact opposite could be said about some over the top snow trolls on here, who see one good run and then head straight to Mountain Warehouse for a thermal ski jacket which in all likelihood will end up on Ebay a week later. This is supposed to be a model discussion forum. A few people tried to be level headed and were ridiculed and it now seems they were right. It might be an idea to hold back before ripping them to shreds in future. Just a thought......
On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 06:34, snowfish1 said:

I'm a very excited Boy this morning Mucka shall I go find my new toboggan ?

If ECM is right you had better hurry and find it before it gets buried. :D:cold:

• Like 6

Posted
24 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

It's no surprise that the vortex wants to have one last laugh. It's a bit like putting pressure on a balloon, as it distorts the strain builds until the moment it bursts.The wave two displaces each daughter vortex which stay strong, until the warming weakens them.

Hi Chio, so this signal is so strong, it overrules the MJO phase 7 Scandihigh which we 'would' see in 7-10 days time?

Edited by sebastiaan1973
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
8 minutes ago, karyo said:

Speaking of the MJO, the gfs keeps it at phase 7 with a notable weakening.

I can only see the Feb 3rd one on the noaa website 

NCPE_phase_21m_small.gif

Is there an updated version somewhere else @karyo

TIA

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
20 minutes ago, sebastiaan1973 said:

Hi Chio, so this signal is so strong, it overrules the MJO phase 7 Scandihigh which we 'would' see in 7-10 days time?

Not necessarily so, as the main daughter vortex is very much Atlantic based which still allows some type of Scandi block - but it may be a type of stand off situation with the UK temporarily held in no mans land until the vortex veakens

• Thanks 2

Posted
1 minute ago, karyo said:

Interesting. So the GFS takes it to Phase8 heading to phase 1 but the GEFS dies of in Phase7.

MJO index GEFS and GFSOP forecast

confused.com although I'm no expert when it comes to the MJO, far from it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
2 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Interesting. So the GFS takes it to Phase8 heading to phase 1 but the GEFS dies of in Phase7.

MJO index GEFS and GFSOP forecast

confused.com although I'm no expert when it comes to the MJO, far from it.

Variations but all heading in the right-direction!1

vp850_200Phase.png

last.90d.RMMPhase.png

twc_globe_mjo_vp200.png

ECMF_phase_51m_full.gif

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, Yarmy said:

Insolation? 

insolation_latitude.gif

The red line is roughly suitable for the UK. Of course the actual Watts hitting the surface will depend on cloud cover.

Edit: Image is from here:

http://www.physicalgeography.net/fundamentals/6i.html

Many thanks Yarmy, the thing that surprised me about that chart is that higher latitudes actually record a yearly peak that is higher than anything managed at the equator.  Obviously related to length of day at whatever lat (24hr daylight at the pole) but even with this, the fact the poles have, for a short period, a greater energy input than managed at the equator is a surprise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
Just now, s4lancia said:

The ECM, Japanese and Canadian ens models have all now updated as well (within the last half hour). All going into P8. Nice.

Sounds like things are continuing to fall into place for our secondhalf of feb first half of march cold/snowy spell S4L

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Gravesend (by the thames) and work Borough Green deliveries on job around the South east
  • Weather Preferences: Snow November to March. Heat and sun late April to early October
  • Location: Gravesend (by the thames) and work Borough Green deliveries on job around the South east
4 hours ago, Yarmy said:

Insolation? 

insolation_latitude.gif

The red line is roughly suitable for the UK. Of course the actual Watts hitting the surface will depend on cloud cover.

Edit: Image is from here:

http://www.physicalgeography.net/fundamentals/6i.html

Just a question regarding this model& solar cycle- Does the solar cycle also have an effect on the strength of sun? as were heading for solar minimum would it be lower in the next year or 2 or has that nothing to do with this model?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
Just now, John Michael How said:

Just a question regarding this model& solar cycle- Does the solar cycle also have an effect on the strength of sun? as were heading for solar minimum would it be lower in the next year or 2 or has that nothing to do with this model?

Yes, but it's been calculated to be something of the order of 0.1C in terms of impact on the Earth's climate, so presumably inconsequential. There are secondary impacts that are the subject of study and debate, but that belongs on the Solar thread.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
44 minutes ago, swebby said:

Many thanks Yarmy, the thing that surprised me about that chart is that higher latitudes actually record a yearly peak that is higher than anything managed at the equator.  Obviously related to length of day at whatever lat (24hr daylight at the pole) but even with this, the fact the poles have, for a short period, a greater energy input than managed at the equator is a surprise.

Yes. You need to integrate the functions to find the total energy supplied though (i.e. find the area under each curve). So you can see that, overall, the equator receives massively more energy over the course of a year.

Edited by Yarmy
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, s4lancia said:

The ECM, Japanese and Canadian ens models have all now updated as well (within the last half hour). All going into P8. Nice.

CFS was the first to actually pick that phase 8 up last Tuesday I spotted it. It got something right?

Posted

By Saturday things up top are beginning to get toasty!! That's this Saturday! Nice to see this getting ever closer! 

gfsnh-10-120.png?12

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Model volatility being seen at 144.  Can't see the uppers for UKMO yet, but I would imagine they are around -6's if not a bit lower by 144.  Corking run for Scotland and our NW contingent (edit - the UKMO output I should have said)!

GFS gfsnh-0-144.png?12 UKMO Modele UKMO - Carte prévisions

Edited by Ice Day
  • Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ice Day said:

Model volatility being seen at 144.  Can't see the uppers for UKMO yet, but I would imagine they are around -6's if not a bit lower by 144.  Corking run for Scotland and our NW contingent (edit - the UKMO output I should have said)!

GFS gfsnh-0-144.png?12 UKMO Modele UKMO - Carte prévisions

Yes that does look alot better  more of a North West South East axis on the UKMO    some showers of the wintry type of would have imagined 

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 1