Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - proper cold spell inbound?

Paul

Posted

I agree frosty. Keep the post's going. Not a bad week at all for the uk. I'm sure some surprises will pop up.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
1 hour ago, winterof79 said:

It is quite feasible for snow as has been discussed in here before and it is a large land mass with no temp modification upward. Unlike us surrounded by the sea

....elevation? just a thought.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Many posts are once again being hidden, Please post in here only what the models are showing. And use the model banter/moan thread for everything else.

Thanks.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

The 12z GFS is a poor effort in lower-res ('FI') in terms of the tropospheric response but for now it's the nearer-term adjustments that interest me most. Some good progress made compared to the previous few runs, hopefully not only to be undone by the 18z or 00z (once wary, always wary)

Edited by Singularity
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Thursday might see temps recover enough to give more in the way of rain rather than snow for England and Wales

UW120-7.thumb.GIF.cf1f6e44dd02d639d332f0a4d21264e0.GIFUW120-21.thumb.GIF.b08683f614f38947cc79603460377479.GIF

Doesn't last long though as colder air soon returns

UW144-7.thumb.GIF.d93c8544cd6f9032071039f4ee757388.GIFUW144-21.thumb.GIF.d8a7c1cf871f1c3215ec5b8a54f88545.GIF

• Like 5

Posted

There has certainly been correction back west from the models this afternoon so far. I'm wondering are we likely to see these small incremental changes as we move through the working week.

• Like 3

Posted
13 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Thursday might see temps recover enough to give more in the way of rain rather than snow for England and Wales

UW120-7.thumb.GIF.cf1f6e44dd02d639d332f0a4d21264e0.GIFUW120-21.thumb.GIF.b08683f614f38947cc79603460377479.GIF

Doesn't last long though as colder air soon returns

UW144-7.thumb.GIF.d93c8544cd6f9032071039f4ee757388.GIFUW144-21.thumb.GIF.d8a7c1cf871f1c3215ec5b8a54f88545.GIF

Potential for a rare snow-rain-snow event?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Widespread overnight frosts every night next week according to the GFS....

image.thumb.gif.d867b2988ec445298287524f32f0a015.gif   image.thumb.gif.b7063a311daa06f0b8f5ed4b150445f6.gif

image.thumb.gif.c86b7ee5c3fab76fb8c2cca4d8336950.gif   image.thumb.gif.43efd453d24bd1e037a5825e89bc90f3.gif

image.thumb.gif.0c469e96a67c55b8c9c602f4193220d9.gif   image.thumb.gif.650e96101a786404a71a26d00c717184.gif

.......so we will have the cold 'in' so to speak.  All we need now are a few other pieces to fall into place to bring some white stuff to the majority - at some point anyway.  

Its not likely to encourage any more daffs to show their faces, at any rate.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but wind & rain

GFS showing frontal snow and then snow showers affecting Pembs Tuesday into Wednesday. Pembrokeshire dangler will be in full swing with a keen North wind blowing down the Irish sea.

84-574UK.gif

66-574UK.gif

• Like 4

Posted

Damn South East. Hogging all the snow. When will us in the north and west ever see snow? ;-) 

More seriously. The latest Aperge kills Tuesday's front dead across the far north of England. Seems that front still isn't resolved, as other models bring it right across the UK, though weakening and become patchy across eastern parts of England, including the East Midlands. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy snow/ heatwaves

I think were about to see the old adage..get the cold in first and the snow will follow exposed for the BS that it is....hi res arpege kills tuesdays front and thurs fri is looking like rain...dont see any other oppurtunitys in the models except maybe a slight dusting on the south east...then more than likely back to mild.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, chicken soup said:

I think were about to see the old adage..get the cold in first and the snow will follow exposed for the BS that it is....hi res arpege kills tuesdays front and thurs fri is looking like rain...dont see any other oppurtunitys in the models except maybe a slight dusting on the south east...then more than likely back to mild.

If there ever was two very contrasting views. Hard for novices to make head or tail of what’s happening. 

• Like 5

Posted
18 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Agreed it seems much of the agro comes from those outside SE all I see in polar northwesterlies no offence to @northwestsnow of which I have no issue with. Is it’s great for NW with all the excitement, while often we are subject to miserable cold wet days further south...

50% or the UKs population lives within this circle. I myself in my location have not seen a covering in 5 years yes you heard that right only dustings since. Understandably some are putting an IMBY spin on it, we are all guilty of this? Keep it related to models and there’s nothing wrong with it, perhaps it’s more suited to regionals.. the upcoming week has opportunity for all areas not just SE England.

FE165B94-E39B-4BBF-A48D-CDB2B9DDB6CF.thumb.jpeg.2f70f5b334b704ccda1c529f72e930c9.jpeg

Yes five years and counting unfortunately.

Though realistically looking at the current models I'm not expecting any lying snow in this part of the world, the model don't show that. 

Edited by Cheese Rice
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy snow/ heatwaves
3 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

Are we looking at the same GFS run?.....I've honestly just gone back to make sure I wasn't viewing an old GFS output!,,,No, its the 12z run available on the NetWeather and we'll have to agree to disagree as I think you're interpreting the run incorrectly as it clearly shows several opportunities for snowfall from the reliable right out to the far reaches of FI....It clearly shows an easterly based feed for the next 48-72 hours and then for the rest of the run is either a Pm or rPm feed, never at any stage does the output even hint at going back to mild.....The caveat of course is the likelyhood of verification

And its a very big caveat...pm air has proven to be garbage even here in the northwest..gfs is wrong about the front on tuesday...arpege is a higher res model ...and thurs is as i said looking like rain.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
2 minutes ago, That ECM said:

T72 and people still bicker!!:D

IMG_0463.PNG

Blue is the new mild....lol

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

GFS and ECM at 72.  Notice that the milder sector has completely filled in on the ECM

GFS gfsnh-1-72.png?12 ECM ECH0-72.GIF?03-0

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, That ECM said:

T72 and people still bicker!!:D

IMG_0463.PNG

Lack of snow is probably one reason why a lot of people aren't or won't be happy. Not all of us like cold for cold's sake.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, chicken soup said:

And its a very big caveat...pm air has proven to be garbage even here in the northwest..gfs is wrong about the front on tuesday...arpege is a higher res model ...and thurs is as i said looking like rain.

Garbage? Many in the NW have seen snowfall after snowfall from PM flows this winter. Large snowfalls at that.

You know the GFS is wrong how?

Thursday is well off and this afternoon’s model updates have increased the wintry risk toward the end of the week.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1