Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - proper cold spell inbound?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
3 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Well well well, many purbs want an arrival of cold in a weeks time! things appear to be gathering a pace!

Diagramme GEFS

and then there is the ECM ens, also trending colder 

Latest 15 days ensemble forecast temperature for London

EDIT: in fact that's the best set we've seen yet! hardly any mild runs!

Cracking set..in the form of direction!!!

MT8_London_ens (7).png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Probably struggle to see a better panel than this one

Panel.thumb.png.af8a724d7402913010bbb2145db11d51.png

Absolutely solid support for high latitude blocking. Placements of the high varies of course, but the broad pattern is great!

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, shaky said:

Good stuff i suppose could bring in cold later but could also bring in cold earlier!lets see where 12z goes!!

Earlier, Later, not at all, less extreme, more extreme. You name it :-)

Posted

Hi all, I only have a very basic understanding of the charts and was wondering, what's the difference between the 'op' run and the 'control' run? Is there a difference in reliability etc? Cheers and keep up the great analysis.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The potential is so exciting in the weeks ahead, here is a sample from the GEFS 6z..prepare for a very cold spell appears to be the message from the latest model output, hopefully a prolonged one!! :cold::)

21_210_850tmp.png

14_210_850tmp.png

10_216_850tmp.png

11_216_850tmp.png

20_216_850tmp.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
19 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Well seeing as Feb 91 was exceptional....possibly not.  But if todays runs are correct it’s going to give it a darn good go.  

BFTP

The uppers were around -16 for southern England during the peak of that event, not any output yet showing them that low.

• Like 2

Posted

Wow what have I missed? Absolute great runs overnight, goes to show why some should treat NWP very cautiously I’m sure in 2013 there was a flip too in a short space of time. Not been this excited in years. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
1 minute ago, Badgers01 said:

The uppers were around -16 for southern England during the peak of that event, not any output yet showing them that low.

Running through p-stamps..and the travel of ens(6z)...-16 upper values will likely rear there heads...as we evolve through suites!!!!

• Like 5

Posted

The ‘upgrades’ keep rolling from the EPS the NAO is even more negative than yesterday. Could we be on the cusp of s big one? I think so.

A24E9CA9-1EB8-4472-8A7F-30CE219F066D.thumb.jpeg.611fc86a9e4dd81aca68d8880bf83135.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, Big Snow said:

Hi all, I only have a very basic understanding of the charts and was wondering, what's the difference between the 'op' run and the 'control' run? Is there a difference in reliability etc? Cheers and keep up the great analysis.

The operating run has greater resolution.

The control uses the same initial data as the op but is run in low resolution.

The ensembles are run in low definition but have tweeks to the starting data.  Purpose of the ensembles is to add support to the results of the operating and control runs.  The ensembles can also be used to identify clusters which give us an idea of future trends.  What they can't really be used for is analysis of individual perbs with some kind of hope that they will materialise.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
Just now, Trom said:

The ensembles are run in low definition but have tweeks to the starting data.  Purpose of the ensembles is to add support to the results of the operating and control runs.  The ensembles can also be used to identify clusters which give us an idea of future trends.  What they can't really be used for is analysis of individual perbs with some kind of hope that they will materialise.

The Control is the same resolution as the OP I believe 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

image.thumb.png.3002de55e00e54d412320c0c78b4a984.png

P1 goes absolutely bonkers and develops an extreme -NAO, what do I make that to be? a 110mb difference between the Azores and Greenland?

RIP Greenland Vortex

:help::rofl::rofl:

But seriously send the WAA to Greenland and watch the rest that follows. This run is extreme with -15C uppers crossing the UK, but there are plenty of other awesome Greenland highs in there which IMO would be better for a long term cold spell then a short lived easterly, February 1991 and January 1987 had much colder uppers btw.

GFSP02EU06_384_1.png

P2 is perhaps even more extreme with a gigantic high to our north which develops as early as T168 then keeps us in a bitterly cold easterly until T384....

Edited by Quicksilver1989
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Trom said:

No same resolution as OP and it’s not started using same initial data I’m sure different starting data. The ensembles only past 10 are they really low res I believe. 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

No same resolution as OP and it’s not started using same initial data I’m sure different starting data. The ensembles only past 10 are they really low res I believe. 

Thanks for explaining, much appreciated.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
13 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

This set of ensembles from the GFS 6z are stunning . And the 00z. @feb1991blizzard Will be loving ? these large ?. 

Where on earth is he!! Not seen him post for at least a week! I'm sure he's enjoying the output like the rest of us anyway! 

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
9 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Where on earth is he!! Not seen him post for at least a week! 

PM you mate 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Big Snow said:

Thanks for explaining, much appreciated.

erm thats not correct. the operational run is the unaltered high resolution run. the control is the same but with lower resolution. the ensembles are lower res but with small changes to starting conditions. if the control differs to the op, this determines that the differences in the ensembles are due to lower resolution rather than starting conditions.

if that makes sense....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

What really catches my eye is how much the depth of cold we receive in the 8-12 day period is dependent on the strength of height rises in the Svalbard region and a bit N and/or E from there, which is one of the regions in which blocking development is most often underestimated by the models.

GEFS doing a surprisingly good job actually - considering lower resolution in stratosphere - of illustrating what's possible if we get a stronger height rise than the operational came up with.

• Like 2