Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - proper cold spell inbound?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

It is pay back time for Canada,now we have our own PV and a bit of reverse thrust.This is for the never ending pile of muck you've sent us for what seems like an eternity.

tempresultmnr0_mini.png

Have it my San....

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, ptow said:

Yes, its a long way off but to clarify, and in the interest of balance, for anyone that is confused at present based on the evidence we are more likely to be looking toward a standard cold spell rather than anything any of us would call spectacular.

I disagree the 0z ( GFS ) was stunning and far from standard.................unless you have a different level of expectation as to what is spectacular , make no bones about it the  0z was stunning.

Unless you have different data ?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers
3 minutes ago, ptow said:

Yes, its a long way off but to clarify, and in the interest of balance, for anyone that is confused at present based on the evidence we are more likely to be looking toward a standard cold spell rather than anything any of us would call spectacular.

In terms of temperatures the Feb 05 spell which took place in the last week of Feb is the closest comparison I can think of. 

If temps are same as back then, some will be disappointed. Here in Birmingham we averaged temps of 4-5c in sunshine on the coldest days (when 850s were circa -10), climbing to 6c when 850s rose back up to -6 or so towards the end of the week.

Those temps were in full sunshine I should add. It was quite a snowy week but snow struggled to settle in daytime hours due to the high temps and sunshine, so accumulations only took place at night. 

That was a milder winter than this one though and Europe had been very mild in the run up.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Gustywind said:

In terms of temperatures the Feb 05 spell which took place in the last week of Feb is the closest comparison I can think of. 

If temps are same as back then, some will be disappointed. Here in Birmingham we averaged temps of 4-5c in sunshine on the coldest days (when 850s were circa -10), climbing to 6c when 850s rose back up to -6 or so towards the end of the week.

Those temps were in full sunshine I should add. It was quite a snowy week but snow struggled to settle in daytime hours due to the high temps and sunshine, so accumulations only took place at night. 

That was a milder winter than this one though and Europe had been very mild in the run up.

Fed 05 gave me over a foot of snow, but yes the temps where a little higher than one would expect, this was in part due to some warm air getting mixed in the flow from the south east.

archives-2005-2-24-0-1.png

The issue was the surface flow rather than the uppers.

Edited by frosty ground

Posted
3 minutes ago, Banbury said:

I disagree the 0z ( GFS ) was stunning and far from standard.................unless you have a different level of expectation as to what is spectacular , make no bones about it the  0z was stunning.

Unless you have different data ?

No, I was purely going by the 0-3 day maxes. Not sure if that was from the 0z or the 6z tbh. Stunning for me would be something yielding sub zero maxes and I am talking lower than -1.

I haven't seen any data to suggest deep cold being likely

Posted
4 minutes ago, Gustywind said:

Yes, I remember it well, I was in Brum myself at the time. There were plenty of snow showers but didn't really settle and as you say pleasant in the sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers
1 minute ago, frosty ground said:

Fed 05 gave me over a foot of snow, but yes the temps where a little higher than one would expect, this was in part due to some warm air getting mixed in the flow from the south east.

Yes it was better up north, think the North York moors got a fair bit also. Think the SE corner had a snow event at the end of the spell also when some very cold uppers got into the mix.

I do remember though a lot of moaning from southerners, particularly in the East about showers falling as rain or sleet that week! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Control run could be a jaw dropper, plenty of waa heading up to the pole to aid Blocking!

gensnh-0-1-204.pnggensnh-0-0-216.png

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Snow & Snow.
1 hour ago, Steve Murr said:

Morning All

Today is a record breaker ( I can hear Roy Castle !!! )

7DBB5C06-B6E8-40D7-B064-69FBD393432F.thumb.png.b96602241121f9422ab32432c7234522.png

The longwave patter is beginning to become a little clearer now with what we observed from day 1 - the migrating Canadian High migrating east before launching itself NE towards Scandi-

There appears to be an interim period of stability whilst located over scandi ( Days 8-11/12 ) before retrograding against the flow to Greenland-

With that in mind from Day 8 its going to be cold- With the level of cold decided by how much lattitude we get & also how much energy we can see returning under the high - 

Worst case scenario appears to be a light continental flow with below ave temps, best case scenario - scenes like 1991/1987 ---

So with that in mind we now need to track the evolution in the 168-192 window -

The ECM gets to the maximum really

5FACF26A-0ED4-4D9C-ABFC-097B3906FF4C.thumb.png.c1123abdb3ec111975cdb4141db028bc.png

Notice the core of the High is centred North of Scandi - Thats where were aiming for..

So its a case of round 1 ( hopefully ) followed by round 2 with a whopping GH --

S

This link is for the classic weekly 1991 February forcast by Ian M on the BBC.

Now my question to anyone. This was for the week from the 6th Feb. We had daytime temps of can you believe -5 or lower and that wasn't windchill either. 

Could we still ever get these type of temps if we get the perfect set up or similar to the above set up come the last week of Feb into early part of March going by what the models are hinting at? 

Many Thanks.. .. ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Control at 240, just WOW (I've said that a lot in the last couple of days!) :bomb:

gens-0-1-240.png gens-0-0-240.png

• Like 6

Posted

Out to 264 and it's absolutely stunning :shok::bomb:  -12' across the eastern half of the UK

gens-0-1-264.png gens-0-0-264.png

• Like 7

Posted

And at 276 the -12's are across to Ireland, this is really incredible output at the moment and everyone is getting in on the act on this run.

gens-0-1-276.png gens-0-0-276.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
6 minutes ago, TheBeastFromTheEAST said:

This link is for the classic weekly 1991 February forcast by Ian M on the BBC.

Now my question to anyone. This was for the week from the 6th Feb. We had daytime temps of can you believe -5 or lower and that wasn't windchill either. 

Could we still ever get these type of temps if we get the perfect set up or similar to the above set up come the last week of Feb into early part of March going by what the models are hinting at? 

Many Thanks.. .. ?

Well seeing as Feb 91 was exceptional....possibly not.  But if todays runs are correct it’s going to give it a darn good go.  

BFTP

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, jvenge said:

Placement of that HP around the UK is so messy on the GEFS 6z. Even at T144 it can go in so many different directions.

Good stuff i suppose could bring in cold later but could also bring in cold earlier!lets see where 12z goes!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Well well well, many purbs want an arrival of cold in a weeks time! things appear to be gathering a pace!

Diagramme GEFS

and then there is the ECM ens, also trending colder 

Latest 15 days ensemble forecast temperature for London

EDIT: in fact that's the best set we've seen yet! hardly any mild runs! Compare it to yesterday’s 12z, it's night and day

01576F49-341C-4656-93CD-10B13E5FCC59.thumb.gif.760b630f70ee6aa46f1724d3166ffa26.gif

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 6

13 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Archive this, probably the best day 10 mean you can ever wish to see

IMG_0170.PNG

but not spectacular lol....

Its about as good as Mean as you could ever get once you filter out the odd rogue run...

Edited by Steve Murr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

The 6z mean at 228, 252 and 276....jawdropping

gensnh-21-1-228.png gensnh-21-1-252.png gensnh-21-1-276.png

• Like 2