Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - proper cold spell inbound?

Paul

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Btw, individual gefs members post day 8 running low res in a reverse flow environment - not to be trusted - use the mean as a guide 

Sure - day 15 not too shabby though!

gensnh-21-1-360.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Btw, individual gefs members post day 8 running low res in a reverse flow environment - not to be trusted - use the mean as a guide 

Yep - and the mean has us in -6c uppers next Wed/Thurs.  We even have a -14c upper run (P20) ,I can't post the picture but has anyone seen a better looking chart than 384 on P20, EXCEPTIONAL.

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 2

Posted

The gfs still manages to muck it up with a highly unlikely FI but at day 13 plus I suppose it can  be forgiven for losing the plot. Of course a very encouraging run in the earlier stages with quite a potent and snowy easterly. What we want to see now is model inter run consistency with all three converging on the same synoptics.

Just one day out but it looks as if today is the day when the models start to show some consistent downwelling effects from the strat into the troposphere ( don't let us down EC). Ens should  be make for some great viewing tonight I would of thought.

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Not after day 6 nick

lets see what ecm op makes of that T168 ridge in the 12z output .......

It might not deliver the bells and whistles of the GFS but as long as it’s moving in the right direction I’d be happy with that.

There does look to be a strong signal to push the high further ne in the earlier timeframe.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
5 minutes ago, mulzy said:

Sure - day 15 not too shabby though!

gensnh-21-1-360.png

Best I've ever seen at that range for HLB in a position very good for turning the UK exceptionally cold for the time of year.

Also a great illustration of what the Scandinavian blocking should get up to in response to the warming events taking place over the E. Canada-Greenland region; a gradual retrogression toward Iceland and then Greenland, not the 'eek, an Iberian low, I'd better skedaddle' solution of the GFS 12z.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

I think some on here need to factor in the the near record breaking SSW that's playing out way above as we speak, Fantasy Island (FI) is to be taken in a different contex vs your standard long range charts. 

This SSW will have significant effects lower down whithin the next 1-4 weeks, that doesn't mean cold snowmageddon is nailed on,  just that all normal senisible assumptions can be thrown out the window, be that mild blocked or a fridgid easterly :) 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Question for some of the more experienced members - how well are the effects of SSW’s handled in the models generally, both in the reliable/semi-reliable timeframe and FI?

• Like 1

Just now, danm said:

Question for some of the more experienced members - how well are the effects of SSW’s handled in the models generally, both in the reliable/semi-reliable timeframe and FI?

poorly but a sharp transition once in view ~180 --

• Like 2

Posted

Come on ECM - if this follows the latest GFS I expect this will be the happiest this forum has been since 2013!!! Pages after Pages of posts etc...

• Like 1

Posted

Great support for OP fab mean chart just how UKMO looks to progress too. Do we have some consistency? Over to ECM if this latches on things will ramp up in here..

0050117C-75C5-4324-B946-DC2F9304084E.thumb.jpeg.46feaadb06b775ee05eef1033ffa6e30.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

The GEFS mean at T+336

gens-21-1-336.png?12

I don't think I can recall seeing the 1040 contour on a mean chart beyond T+300.  This is a VERY strong signal.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 8

Posted
18 minutes ago, TEITS said:

Just catching up.

Fully agree with you on the ECM. After being a right misery yesterday I am amazed at the change on the output. Just look at the amazing GEFS mean!

gens-21-1-192.pnggens-21-1-300.pnggens-21-1-372.png

As with 2013, the change in output from models once the actual reversal has occured is like a light switch.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Out to +96 and ECM is almost identical to UKMO to me eye 

42BBBCC7-6ECF-49C2-91D8-FCB97B90337F.thumb.gif.ee9a87f0b9cffea9afd37d08c7691695.gif62174E37-6D12-4FB3-BDEB-E776C8ABFA9F.thumb.png.b07066dc9af1f0aeb3d1ccf85db828bd.png

120 looks bit iffy though

55DD8A9C-9D75-4531-B696-1E4CC791664A.thumb.png.93793e87dc776594403aad39751353d4.png

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1