Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - proper cold spell inbound?

Paul

Posted
1 minute ago, Steve Murr said:

GFS much more in tune with what we would expect to see in any transitional phase around Day 7

874074FF-AFFB-4B55-9073-7EC6ABE00E2F.thumb.png.c5d22ebf3947f7a40fa6f7fcd8427cb4.png

What I've noticed is slowly the Block to the East has started to back further West after a few runs in decline. Interesting 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

•back in the madhouse●

Iv'e used my noggle and refrained posting- due to model miss-management, and the daggers in here!!!?..

12z gfs offering up better variation of heights...and also some gain from the mother canadian lobe being syphoned across the eastern qud lobe....@last output seems to be sniffing out the ssw...

Ecm 'should gain in evolvement on its 12z...more to this angle.

Lets see how we play out!!??

gfsnh-0-162 (1).png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms

Another flip flop from the gfs. Coming back in 4 days. This rollercoaster is driving me nuts !

• Like 2

Posted

This may be the first run to already have the wind reversal taken into account at the start of the run.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!
4 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

This may be the first run to already have the wind reversal taken into account at the start of the run.

That's a very good point Snowy, I think the GEFS may be quite revealing a bit later to see if the Op is smelling something.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

Ok I lied ? I'm not taking a break nice point to that high pressure and angle of attack . 

IMG_1401.PNG

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Day 6 charts

UKMO/GFS/GEM

UW144-21.GIF?11-17   gfs-0-144.png?12   gem-0-144.png?12

Pretty similar, the UKMO probably the flattest but all three tend to build a solid high over the UK, both the GEM and GFS do introduce a cold feed from the east or north east though wintriness would be limited. That said a UK high isn't the worst place to be going forwards towards the end of the month as we would likely see the high drift further north to allow proper cold to aim towards the UK.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
2 minutes ago, ZK099 said:

This doesn't make any sense. How on earth is the PV still present in Greenland after such a massive strat warming and reversal? It's that which is preventing heights building north towards Greenland. Something isn't right here. 

I think there is a little bit of confusion around the SSW. The split is straight through the middle of the vortex which has left a daughter vortex over Canada and another over Siberia. The stratospheric vortex has not been smashed to smithereens but split into two.

Thinking a displacement event might have actually been better rather than a straight split. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
5 minutes ago, Dunlop Dave said:

Another flip flop from the gfs. Coming back in 4 days. This rollercoaster is driving me nuts !

Flip flopping and driving me nuts:D:D

IMG_0541.PNG

IMG_0542.PNG

IMG_0543.PNG

Posted
2 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Day 6 charts

UKMO/GFS/GEM

UW144-21.GIF?11-17   gfs-0-144.png?12   gem-0-144.png?12

Pretty similar, the UKMO probably the flattest but all three tend to build a solid high over the UK, both the GEM and GFS do introduce a cold feed from the east or north east though wintriness would be limited. That said a UK high isn't the worst place to be going forwards towards the end of the month as we would likely see the high drift further north to allow proper cold to aim towards the UK.

Close enough!!

And what's the GFS doing now? T192, high pressure moving east to west across Finland - could be headed for a big NEly in FI...

• Like 1

Posted

Thie evolving synoptics you want to see as we gain!!!.

Jet carved...big time...heights 'sound'...

Sister lobe leaking cold as heights align- and block goes steady....then boom, ya-cold door is firmly open....and a totaly feasible progress...given atmospheric developments!!!!

Ecm 'should' also now begin resolve!!!

gfsnh-5-228.png

gfsnh-1-228.png

gfsnh-0-222.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

npsh500.png 

Amazing isn't it? Now we see a second kick of amplification in the Atlantic and a small low cutting south through Scandinavia with the Siberian high reaching west behind it.

h850t850eu.png h850t850eu.png

The saga continues. Odd that the 12z has been the most wintry run of the day from GFS for a number of days running.

I do see that the vortex segment over Scandinavia takes a little longer to head to the Canadian one on this run but it's a very small change so seems unlikely to explain such a large swing from one run to the next. It just seems to be a chaotic combination of variables at play although I do still believe the MJO is among the most influential in terms of whether the ridge building Thu-Sun can gain enough latitude to set up a cold feed across the south ahead of the stratospheric impacts.

h850t850eu.png

What can you do but laugh (manically?).

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Out to 240 and that's one beautiful chart, looks cold and possibly snowy for much of England (just for fun at this range of course!) .  This is how it's going to be for a while, upgrade..downgrade...and so on.  

gfsnh-0-240.png?12 gfsnh-1-240.png?12

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog
11 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

so, winter's over. the teleconnections are a load of old rubbish, the "told you so"ers were right.

oh hang on, it's back on again...

gfsnh-0-234.thumb.png.fe26602bc91db92a0b6f06923f9ec040.png

Oh so winter is back on again because you've posted a chart for the 21st of Feb..

Get that down to T+48 and I might just believe you.

Edited by Winter Hill

Posted
10 minutes ago, Singularity said:

npsh500.png 

Amazing isn't it? Now we see a second kick of amplification in the Atlantic and a small low cutting south through Scandinavia with the Siberian high reaching west behind it.

h850t850eu.png h850t850eu.png

The saga continues. Odd that the 12z has been the most wintry run of the day from GFS for a number of days running.

I do see that the vortex segment over Scandinavia takes a little longer to head to the Canadian one on this run but it's a very small change so seems unlikely to explain such a large swing from one run to the next. It just seems to be a chaotic combination of variables at play although I do still believe the MJO is among the most influential in terms of whether the ridge building Thu-Sun can gain enough latitude to set up a cold feed across the south ahead of the stratospheric impacts.

h850t850eu.png

What can you do but laugh (manically?).

Singularity I don't think the Scandinavian daughter vortex moving west to the Canadian one is causing the problems seen on the morning runs. If anything you would expect east to west movement of the Scandinavian lobe to help, especially as on the strat charts the Scandinavian vortex is moving under the high pressure.

ECM just shows raging westerlies through the entire Atlantic and into Norway almost to day 10, which is why I think it's wrong

Edited by Snowy L
  • Like 1

Posted

Could almost begin to feel compassion(polar vortex).....

gfsnh-10-312.png

gfsnh-0-336.png

download.jpeg

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think we probably will see an easterly flow develop at some point after the 20th February, with the SSW, the MJO and the large Siberian/Scandinavian high being well set up for one, but before that we will probably see a relatively mild anticyclonic interlude- we saw this following the sudden stratospheric warming event in January 2013 for example.  The GFS was probably being too progressive in bringing an easterly flow into the British Isles from around the 20th, with today's GFS 12Z run perhaps more realistic regarding the timing.

Here's the MJO forecast for example, showing it continuing to hover around phase 7:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/foregfs.shtml

However, I'm not anything like as confident that we'll actually get a significant snowy spell from it.  We're getting quite late in the season now and a watered down version with moderately cold air coming in from the SE (which I think is as plausible an outcome as an input of arctic continental air from the E/NE) would most likely result in dry cloudy weather with the odd flurry near the east coast.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

So all the people that were saying winter is over, the SSW isn't going to have any effect blah blah blah are suddenly shouting of cold, snow and Scandinavian highs? Some peoples temperaments on here are as bad as the GFS', bewildering. 

GFS an improvement bringing back in heights to our North after the last couple of runs, I wonder where the ECM will go with this one now.

Edited by Daniel Smith
  • Like 8

Posted
1 minute ago, Winter Hill said:

Oh so winter is back on again because you've posted a chart for the 21st of Feb..

last time i checked, the 21st of feb was still winter. i could post the earlier charts which lead to this if you like?

in fact, here you go- 

gfsnh-0-144.thumb.png.b33217464f9eaf07f44423fd83048b98.png

the 144 chart with the ridging underway which leads to HLB.

Edited by bobbydog
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1