Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - proper cold spell inbound?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
10 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Would be interested to see if NOAA bin the ECM. I'd have a look myself but actually have no idea what they are talking about half the time. It's like a different language! 

Don’t fret, we can get @nick sussex on the case 

D1DB667D-1FEC-41F8-8219-8370DE106EC5.thumb.jpeg.48d06f64ee6ae41654d220b7cb3aba47.jpeg

However I highly doubt they will back the ecm route. 

The differences from its 00z output is pretty big. Look to the n Pacific / Alaska

1E51C45E-9AF3-4EFD-BE3C-15E32933E754.thumb.png.cb19555167ff17ecb89f584228a81ff8.pngA04C0D38-E6E1-4AF9-AFC2-D95F4C286D89.thumb.png.232d11f35c00590a1e605a0711f63e67.png

I’m not buying it

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

I thought the GFS OP was incredible....but the Control is INSANE!  Bloooming, blinking, ruddy Nora 

BFTP

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

ECM mean is starting to give me the hump! How can two models be so far apart :wallbash:

22895C97-65EA-4B26-835E-14E7A6613528.thumb.png.3ae7f761819733d691976d55abe07ffa.png

• Like 1

Posted

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=2&ech=6

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=2&ech=204

all i  say  the ssw could start  after  about  120  hr  deep  into fantasy world is a coldies  dream ,  all eyes  on the pub run later!!

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Cloud 10 said:

Subtle differences between GFS and ECM at day 10...:rofl:

GFS..gfsnh-0-240.thumb.png.800d550c35dea612b8da43cfa9256e7a.png..ECMECH1-240.GIF.thumb.png.677c26d106a51020dc2a8a159dc09a3d.png

Probably better comparing it mean to mean

79A873B5-A241-4DCB-B3A7-8104933BBC9A.thumb.png.bfdba23e1dca5ea3b2aea27f80477736.png6E0FDB28-82D5-4175-B869-73FB8D391B30.thumb.png.12060d8c4118d6e67636eccf61f1cdb7.png

they couldn’t be further apart! 

The ECM is dealing with the N Pacific and N Atlantic very differently to the GFS. Shame we can’t see UKMO at the same timeframe.

atleast the ECM op looks to be an outlier at the end and crucially at the D4/5 timeframe.

86A0424D-DC18-4F02-9089-0D8F0180D0B4.thumb.png.0e74af8d669eeb101ab64cb1ba589f8c.png

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer
35 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Ecm was first model to show Easterly then gfs picks it up and ecm drops the idea.Utterly clueless all the models after 5 days,pointless them going past that time frame.

Not pointless just GFS and ECM base their outputs on totally different variables

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
5 minutes ago, - 40*C said:

Not pointless just GFS and ECM base their outputs on totally different variables

True, but the GFS has had HUGE ensemble scatter over its last few runs. yesterday only had 1 "good" run; the 0, 6 and 18z were not favourable at all overall. Today has been the same, though the 12z suite does favour cold over mild. The ECM has been consistent and is now consistently saying no. Doesn't bode well in my opinion.

Edited by Ice Man 85
typo
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Well the question has to be asked, what has made the ECM go from this yesterday:

ECH1-216.GIF?00

To this today:

ECH1-192.GIF

It is almost as if after a few days it is a random number generator or in this case, chart generator. Same can be said for the other models but nothing has been as stark as this. Maybe the ECM is the 1st model to feel the effects of the SSW (chaotic/random output) or maybe it is the 1st model to be RIGHT. Scary thought.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
3 minutes ago, Stuie W said:

Well the question has to be asked, what has made the ECM go from this yesterday:

ECH1-216.GIF?00

To this today:

ECH1-192.GIF

It is almost as if after a few days it is a random number generator or in this case, chart generator. Same can be said for the other models but nothing has been as stark as this. Maybe the ECM is the 1st model to feel the effects of the SSW (chaotic/random output) or maybe it is the 1st model to be RIGHT. Scary thought.

Well the 12z run ends on a doozy; double digit temps lol. You'd expect the opposite considering what is favoured to happen. Still, I have yet to see overwhelming support from any source.

Posted

Quite often the models will chop and change when a large atmospheric driver flips and causes a pattern change in the lower atmosphere and this has been the case over the last few days. But as the SSW impacts start to come in the high resolution part of the models, i.e. out to 10 days with most models, then we may start to firm up on what lies in store and whether indeed we will see high latitude blocking manifest to our north and northeast to bring a cold end to the month. But there is no guarantees of such a pattern transpiring, given what I’ve already described about not all SSW events leading to colder and snowy weather.

wise words from earlier netweather article relating to the SSW. MODELS WILL CHOP AND CHANGE! :)

• Like 1

Posted

Someone posted earlier he was speaking to someone at the met office and he believed a 70% chance for the cold spell towards the end of the month to occur, we have a good chance, hopefully once the SSW kicks in it all starts to firm up and become a bit clearer.

Edited by Bazray

Posted
6 minutes ago, Bazray said:

Quite often the models will chop and change when a large atmospheric driver flips and causes a pattern change in the lower atmosphere and this has been the case over the last few days. But as the SSW impacts start to come in the high resolution part of the models, i.e. out to 10 days with most models, then we may start to firm up on what lies in store and whether indeed we will see high latitude blocking manifest to our north and northeast to bring a cold end to the month. But there is no guarantees of such a pattern transpiring, given what I’ve already described about not all SSW events leading to colder and snowy weather.

wise words from earlier netweather article relating to the SSW. MODELS WILL CHOP AND CHANGE! :)

Less than half from what I've read. Not great statistics is it?

Posted
1 minute ago, Ice Man 85 said:

Ill take a 70% chance all day long. This SSW looks to be a good one.

Edited by Bazray
  • Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Ice Man 85 said:

Wrong! 2/3. Snowy who knows, impossible. But cold, statistics say 66.666%. But if anyone can find the 33.34% we can 

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

@bluearmy or anyone else ?. Do you still think we will have a better idea by the 12z runs tomorrow of we can exspect for the end off the week . I remember you saying a few pages back that we should have a good idea by Sunday 12z runs ? Or are we gonna be in and out of mood swings for at least a few more days ? ? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
9 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

@bluearmy or anyone else ?. Do you still think we will have a better idea by the 12z runs tomorrow of we can exspect for the end off the week . I remember you saying a few pages back that we should have a good idea by Sunday 12z runs ? Or are we gonna be in and out of mood swings for at least a few more days ? ? 

Depends. If it's about cold? 48 hours but if that's coming then everyone will start worrying about snow:D:D and then if we get that we can start worrying about the break down:D

Edited by That ECM
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
19 minutes ago, Ice Man 85 said:

I have yet to see overwhelming support from any source.

You're absolutely right, there isn't overwhelming support as is clearly seen from the Ecm output today..but, there are still encouraging signs from the Gfs / Gefs..Exeter..and who knows what tomorrow will bring?.:)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
5 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

Yes.... they are absolutely ‘crucial’

I think the ECM will gradually change, I think the GFS Op and Control show perfection.....lower sights and work up imo

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

This time yesterday, more runs were needed...This time today, more runs are needed...This time tomorrow?:unknw:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
10 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

UKMO supporting GFS- nice angle of attack!

8B21516A-0DE1-4814-AF0A-8B1ED48DEE14.thumb.png.6575bef9d11cd9ed901a69b9575e612b.png

Please elaborate Steve for new people (AND ME). Fronts pushing in against cold air in situ?

• Thanks 1