Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - proper cold spell inbound?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
6 hours ago, Day 10 said:

So another morning of runs are just about coming to an end and the volatile nature of the output continues, hardly surprising giving the nature of the atmosphere right now. Yes the weather is always chaotic so throw into the mix the beginnings of a strong Sudden Stratospheric Warming and the models are bound to struggle.

gfsnh-10-6.thumb.png.6dca9fdb86d02a8b5385ccf3095c2c6b.png

I expect the output to continue in this vein for a while yet, no despondency from me only intrigue into how everything is unfolding. I think at least another week of rain interspersed with wintry showers or snow for some is on the cards, this weekend being the perfect example, rain in England & Wales today, snow in Scotland/Northern & Ireland and snow showers for some tomorrow.

6-574UK.thumb.GIF.b37b9de1a6878b2bf2b326279ff1a2b1.GIF18-574UK.thumb.GIF.ef6725b0fa4cbf785979f8fc041aaf97.GIF33-574UK.thumb.GIF.26d1cd84c86636e073224296b374366c.GIF

As some have already alluded to the dates of 18th, 19th 20th are when things could become far more interesting as blocking may start to setup somewhere between the North and East of the UK drying things out, but at the same time eventually and hopefully ushering in Winter proper and of course this then brings the threat of country wide snow.

Don't be surprised to one minute see holy grail charts and the next not so good while the models are still getting to grips to this irregular pattern.

I will end on this chart from the other day, not saying this is what we will end up with but it wouldn't surprise me if charts like this pop up again before the week is out.

gfsnh-0-348.thumb.png.531fc54e0fa66f6b9b42cc5fed597e57.png

For once we have a number of signals all heading in the right direction so let's hope we finally hit the jackpot! :cold:

Well I must say I wasn't expecting holy grail charts to pop up so soon again but I'm not arguing GFS, fire away and continue to reel them in. Lovely to come in from the match 3 points in the bag and to see charts like these back on the menu, long may it continue.

gfsnh-0-240.thumb.png.d0b755599f23ee8ac89084c76e858eb5.pnggfsnh-1-240.thumb.png.a82046fca454f1ef8931c2589bd90ba2.png240-7UK.thumb.GIF.dd83c521d107d43884eb8867826f61f8.GIF

ECM your turn...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

That is a very good set of ensembles IMO . Trending colder ?

IMG_1388.PNG

Come on ECM make us feel like this ?IMG_1389.thumb.JPG.474e3e1952a8c74eb021a61d88e97765.JPG

Edited by ICE COLD
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Just trying to settle model nerves but yesterday mornings gem model run was the same as today's ECM nightmare run.

But today the gem is a blinder.

JMA last night's run also shows northern blocking in the right place.

Navgem gets there,

ukmo I suspect would get there.

There really is no reason to take this morning ECM as gospel.

Today's gem chart 

gem-0-192.thumb.png.a20aa1b0d7c353772300d32e8e5e7665.png

Identical to recent ECM runs.

Again this evening could well be a full house from the models nav gem GFS and once again the gem model throws out some wintry weather.

Exactly what I've expected how cold is up for debate,

Posted
2 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

That is a very good set of ensembles IMO . Trending colder ?

IMG_1388.PNG

Lovely cluster below the -5 figure, still a bit of scatter though amongst the other ensembles. I would temper expectations a little, the models can be very fickle and volatile when a warming occurs.

Lots to be positive about but would advise nobody buys stocks in sledges just yet. 

• Like 1

Posted

Putting aside the medium term, shorter term the UKMO fax chart still shows some possible snow at T72hrs.

Quite unusual to see an Atlantic front surrounded by sub 528 dam, any milder air gets squeezed out and the front seems to slow.

fax72s.thumb.gif.5f5a424abc9e86bdd1b83682a7a331d1.gif

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 8

Posted

The evidence grows for me. A High focused near Scandinavia for 20-25 Feb is clearly the head horse. 

Also worth noting that the lack of a deep trough over Europe is probably a good thing for cold too. Without it, the weather will probably be sourced from Russia rather than the risk of east Mediterranean air getting into the mix.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder , Lightning , Snow , Blizzards

My goodness ! I nearly choked on my smoked haddock when I seen @Tamara ‘Ramping’ a GFS run ?, are the stars aligning ? Are we on the cusp ? Will Tamara’s head be right all along ! Tune in next time on ... The Northen Hemisphere’s got *potential* impending talent !!! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
1 minute ago, Man With Beard said:

The evidence grows for me. A High focused near Scandinavia for 20-25 Feb is clearly the head horse. 

Also worth noting that the lack of a deep trough over Europe is probably a good thing for cold too. Without it, the weather will probably be sourced from Russia rather than the risk of east Mediterranean air getting into the mix.

Yup and with the lack of low heights across the pole, unlikely to sink! I’m beginning to get just a smidge of confidence. This could be an epic week of model watching! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
5 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

yes mate & ECM 72 looks similar - Just awaiting the snow depth charts to update

*** Why are we seeing these charts appear - Yes, The most Easterly stratospheric winds ever measured in 40 years ... *** 

S

It's not just the record strength of these easterlies but also the dynamics of how it occurred including the previous displacement, the internal trop based split and the positioning of the residual daughter vortex. Once you could see that falling into place it is no surprise to see those easterly trades.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chionomaniac said:

It's not just the record strength of these easterlies but also the dynamics of how it occurred including the previous displacement, the internal trop based split and the positioning of the residual daughter vortex. Once you could see that falling into place it is no surprise to see those easterly trades.

Yep all good news for us...

x

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
4 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Blimey... ECM is in real party pooper mode, looking comparatively awful at 192, very disappointing that the top verifying model isn't on board

IMG_0115.PNG

IMG_0116.GIF

The top verifying model on a global scale . So that can't be counted for are little area Of the globe ?. Not saying it's wrong , just saying .

Edited by ICE COLD
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
8 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Blimey... ECM is in real party pooper mode, looking comparatively awful at 192, very disappointing that the top verifying model isn't on board

IMG_0115.PNG

IMG_0116.GIF

Sorry mods for a one liner but, top verifying model? Is it? All I seem to see from the ECM is failed output post 5 days.

EDIT: In fact maybe it is better for the ECM to look like it`s not playing the game as I haven`t quite got over when it failed `that` chart years ago.

Edited by Stuie W
  • Like 1

Posted

It’s been pretty awful this winter the ecm but most probably correct this time,Norma ply the less cold solution wins out in uk:nonono:

• Like 2

Posted
32 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

That last bit is so true and is often not considered on here in the general desire to have an easterly.

• Like 5