Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - proper cold spell inbound?

Paul

Posted

3 charts from the GEFS all at +384 showing a very similar pattern. 

2010 I raise you. 

JFF.

Perb 16 wed be part of the new Artic.

Screenshot_20180210-114729.png

Screenshot_20180210-114706.png

Screenshot_20180210-114646.png

Edited by ALL ABOARD
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Seems like we are paddling up hill a bit in fl at the moment. With the GEFS, not had a chance to look at individual runs, but nothing note worthy in terms of cold in there yet.

0857E6C9-7C45-4949-83F1-E451B29CD662.thumb.gif.80292b4a130b677c2271e29a9cb2d39d.gif

ECM ens look like we have two options on the table, cold and mild.

AE5D2BDF-9D8C-482E-AECD-B7C723976650.thumb.gif.424aa86a464a762135e39699de893506.gif

what does that tell us? Not much other than more runs needed. Groundhog Day 

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 2

Posted

The eps clusters are fairly revealing - if you ignore the euro high options then you are left with the op evolution which builds an upper ridge north through nw Europe and the control cluster which has an Atlantic feel into the extended at which point a scandi ridge extends west (presumably from the Russian ridge pushing west or the polar ridge dropping south). All likely a response to the ssw 

however, the poor AO numbers from the suite still troubles me 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The GEFS 6z also shows plenty of support for a late Feb freeze!:D:cold:

7_384_850tmp.png

8_384_850tmp.png

14_384_850tmp.png

16_384_850tmp.png

17_342_850tmp.png

17_342_2mtmpmax.png

18_384_850tmp.png

21_384_850tmp.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

In amongst the current NWP chaos, I think the GEFS at 192 are quite revealing.  Not one shows an organised PV, with blocking cropping up all over the show. It looks like the favoured option is the original ECM one of heights climbing somewhere between Greenland and Iceland. It's what happens thereafter that will keep us on the edge of our seats.  

Back in time for the 12z's for no doubt a GFS downgrade, ECM upgrade and UKMO being the 'middle ground'.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 hours ago, ICE COLD said:

What is confusing me is why the PV is still strong over Canada when you have this happening there ? 

IMG_1371.PNG

Exactly what I thought yesterday, I'm expecting that to break up much more than is being modelled, which is why analysing anything past three to four days via a waste of time in my view.

• Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Exactly what I thought yesterday, I'm expecting that to break up much more than is being modelled, which is why analysing anything past three to four days via a waste of time in my view.

That chart is T168

the effects from it will take a few days at least to work down to the trop 

so the trop output at days 4 to 8 should be fine in respect of the predicted Canadian warming 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
8 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

That chart is T168

the effects from it will take a few days at least to work down to the trop 

so the trop output at days 4 to 8 should be fine in respect of the predicted Canadian warming 

So with all this going on with in the next 3 weeks we still have a very good chance of a HLB to favour us in the uk ? The first push of heights may not get there or give us what we want but there should be plenty of more opportunities over the next few weeks ? Few bites of the cherry and all that ? 

Posted

As well as all the support for a late Feb freeze from the GEFS 00z / 6z..There is no downgrade from Exeter regarding the longer range signal covering towards the end of Feb and approx first half of march...so, despite some operational model wobbles, the longer term trend is still the coldies friend!:):cold:

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
3 hours ago, TEITS said:

Going to disagree with John H here.

Plenty of support that our weather will eventually be coming from the E over the next 14 days even despite this mornings ECM.

For starters we have the GEM & GFS Operationals and looking at the UKMO +168 that is heading the same way. More significantly is the GEFS mean at +300 plus has consistently suggested a flow from the E.

gens-21-1-360.png

Evidence of blocking to our N & E continues to be suggested by the models and a flow from the E/NE looks favourite. However the depth of cold is impossible to predict at the moment,.

I'm not arguing with you, TEITS, but my inexperienced interpretation of that output suggests a weak northerly.  What are you getting from that that I'm not?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

The above ensemble mean (above) shows heights to the north east and a slack area of lower heights to the west/south west so probably a degree of an easterly in that if I'm reading that right. (correct me if I'm wrong).

• Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

I'm not arguing with you, TEITS, but my inexperienced interpretation of that output suggests a weak northerly.  What are you getting from that that I'm not?

Unlikely to get a handle on the likely wind direction at day 15 on a mean chart like that 

The gefs slp clusters are going to be more informative (these are the 00z run)

4D525C5E-F5A6-4AA6-9992-358651FBE417.thumb.jpeg.f0de383afb4db9c7bda1310d8d0cf430.jpeg

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

As well as all the support for a late Feb freeze from the GEFS 00z / 6z..There is no downgrade from Exeter regarding the longer range signal covering towards the end of Feb and approx first half of march...so, despite some operational model wobbles, the longer term trend is still the coldies friend!:):cold:

Reading between the lines, approx. the last third of Feb and first third of March could deliver a proper nationwide cold spell with plenty of frosty weather and if we get an Easterly as is still being suggested, I'm sure there would be snow showers feeding in off the north sea!:cold::D❄❄❄❄❄❄

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme
4 hours ago, Frosty. said:

And here is my evidence, pretty comprehensive i think most will agree!!:D:cold-emoji:❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄

2_372_850tmp.png

2_372_2mtmpmax.png

8_348_850tmp.png

10_384_850tmp.png

11_336_850tmp.png

12_366_850tmp.png

13_360_850tmp.png

14_378_850tmp.png

16_384_850tmp.png

17_384_850tmp.png

18_384_850tmp.png

20_384_850tmp.png

21_384_850tmp.png

Two weeks away!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Afternoon-

The last 3 GFS updates for the warming ( oldest first )

1A15E7EA-DA9E-4056-A21D-9A021D0E1D6C.thumb.jpeg.708090f30a31613208316ba652b6f00c.jpegCA0A0F40-1361-4BAE-AEA9-DAD65DC689A4.thumb.png.4c111b1f7593afba7dfb8a0cd368420c.png64ABE4A0-C580-4AC6-A247-A126AFE7E27B.thumb.png.6dcefb21d774558bcf7657143c8d8e91.png

Shows the convergence on -40M/S - This is record breaking - Wayyy stronger than any date in history back to 1979 on Interim ERA data ( -32 Ish being the record )

With such a broken vortex - one would assume that theres no return from there for Feb or for March.....

Very interesting Steve, let's hope it does our island some favour. 

Still sitting here wishing away who knows what kind of horizon will be knocking on our door sooner or later. 

Its definately going to be an exciting week of model watching. 

Keep up the good work 

regards ?

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, chapmanslade said:

The forecaster I spoke to was suggesting a 70% chance of cold / Easterly at the beginning of next week

Just to clarify, surely you mean the week after next...i.e..w/c 19th Feb when it's supposed to become more settled and colder.:)

• Like 2