Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - proper cold spell inbound?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!
1 minute ago, Mucka said:

Looking better, not miles away from UKMO if memory serves.

gfsnh-0-168.png?18

Indeed, amplification starting a bit earlier on this run.  186 GFS vs 192 ECM, whilst clearly not a perfect match it's a move towards the ECM

GFS gfsnh-0-186.png?18 ECM ECH1-192.GIF?09-0

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Well it gets the separation done okay but gets a little crazy with the Atlantic trough.

Same old GFS, one step forward, one step back.

gfsnh-0-186.png?18

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
8 minutes ago, Mucka said:

Well it gets the separation done okay but gets a little crazy with the Atlantic trough.

Same old GFS, one step forward, one step back.

gfsnh-0-186.png?18

It's like pulling out teeth watching the  GFS 18z run out . Why can't it just be consistent? ?

• Like 1

Posted

Well, it really seems the GFS has nailed this.  Perfect symmetry between the 12z and 18z at 222 :whistling:

12z gfsnh-0-228.png?12 18z gfsnh-0-222.png?18 

Whilst there's not much to excite in the reliable/semi reliable, the sheer chaos in the NWP is testament to the situation that's unfolding in front of us.  More chaos to come, and bravo to that.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but wind & rain
1 hour ago, bradythemole said:

I know all the talk at the moment is about the SSW and the potential impacts starting to now enter the model timeframes, but this has been covered well already today by other superb posts as always.

Just wanted to highlight a wintry Sunday for some coming up and just how cold the air is that has been coming from the west at the moment. 

We have -10/-11c 850 temps from an Atlantic modified air mass on Sunday which is pretty impressive. Wet bulb down to below 100 for whole UK. Thickness also very low. For the majority this setup doesn’t deliver what we all crave the most and it will just be dry and cold. But Ireland and parts of the west could do well on Sunday but regardless these really are some chilly air masses hitting us from the west at the moment considering the modification. ❄️ 

E60A1AE9-6D54-4D0F-8445-6DA0346BB858.gif

82D016F6-B340-4E12-8192-0F16A4B6364B.gif

93BAE0D1-4690-4899-B80D-872A20662982.gif

Im with you all the way I don't bother looking at charts past 120hrs imo no point. With Sunday in mind Monday night into Tuesday is looking interesting as a weather front moves into cold air and as winds fall light behind it becoming slow moving, so over Wales scotland & Northern England so potential for heavy snow. Also Wednesday morning after a frosty night, a system moving up from the south into cold air with SE winds wrapping cold air into the mixes it pushes up the western side of UK so more snow again for a time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

This is the Gfs 18z for sunday..not bad huh!:D:cold-emoji:❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄ let it snow

18_45_preciptype.png

18_45_ukthickness850.png

18_45_ukthickness.png

mask-rd.jpg

• Like 7

Posted

18Z goes and gives us the flattest output of the winter with a perfectly spherical PV centered over Greenland after the SSW at t288...

Edited by Snowy L
  • Like 1

Posted

The eps clusters have 27% support for the op solution. The largest cluster now is unsupportive of the scandi ridge pre day 10. In general, my concerns from viewing the mean earlier borne out in the clusters. Blocked in fi but not in a great place for the uk to see much of the white stuff till the very end of week 2 (and that’s with a binary aspect to the two fi clusters) 

onto tomorrow ........  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

If we take GFS Op output today just out to 144/168, on the whole it has moved toward ECM re behaviour of the trough.

I wouldn't mind betting the control run slaps the Op across the boat with a large and particularly wet Halibut.

• Like 6

Posted

Wow, this really is a quite appalling run with the early effort of amplification quickly draining away. I just don't see this as a plausible option given the plethora of background signals, and I'm not saying that due to lack of cold for the UK.  I would think this is a likely outlier, we'll see on the ensembles soon.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Not quite the end of winter i'm hoping for:help::D..naughty 18zzzzzzzzzzz

18_384_uk2mtmp.png

18_384_mslp850.png

18_384_ukthickness850.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

What’s the bet now that ecm looks crap in the morning and gfs is better? Happens all the time they just flip flop about like no tomorrow it’s actually very annoying. I keep saying I’m done with the model watching as it gets me quite frustrated but then I find myself back here just hours later.....think I need HELP

not sure about the garden path anymore I think it’s a big fat motorway 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
43 minutes ago, Mucka said:

Looking better, not miles away from UKMO if memory serves.

gfsnh-0-168.png?18

Really? That is bad!!  Wait til Monday.....maybe a crucial suite?

Warm temps....as plausible as a freeze 

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wild!

Still think the models are still trying to get a grasp of the SSW event. Wait till Sunday or Monday then start crying over the models being rubbish. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Some GFS operational wobbles appearing again inter-run, kind of expected IMO, as the models can be poor at handling strat-trop interactions, particularly GFS high res compared to EC, with not so great vertical resolution as the latter. Given the rapid sinking of the wind reversal / easterlies from the SSW toward the troposphere that has a currently well-organised vortex to our NW further compounding the confidence of models resolving how to weaken and displace the trop PV.

Such a strong and rapid SSW down through the strat should allow strong coupling of the strat and trop in the area where we need it too, MJO impacts on the jet stream combined with the eQBO continually trying to weaken the PV should help too. 

I wouldn't worry too much about a lack of ensemble support for HLB, given the ens members are run at lower res than the operational, I would have more faith in the high res runs, more especially EC high res for its better vertical resolution in the atmosphere over the GFS high res that seems less stable atm.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

So what do you trust .The third rated model that changes every run or the top rated model that has shown consistent output at the crucial timeframe over the last 48 hours or so. mmmmm ......its not really that difficult is it?

Posted
20 minutes ago, Mucka said:

I wouldn't mind betting the control run slaps the Op across the boat with a large and particularly wet Halibut.

P20 on the left, Op run on the right.

gensnh-20-1-240.pnggfsnh-0-240.png?18

Control is better than the Op but not great but didn't want to waste the clip. :sorry:

Actually GFS ensembles are not great at all, hopefully just a wobble...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

If the owners of the GFS could just swap the OP with the Control for the next runs, this place would be less chaotic. Control going blocked, again

Control.thumb.png.31f2b071c240263800800458c44ac172.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

It may sound odd but yes, the best advice being put across today is ‘don’t place much faith in what even a multitude of models and ensemble suites are suggesting’; we are headed into unprecedented territory and with a type of event that the models struggle greatly with even when they fall within past experience.

The ECM deterministic does however represent the best chance we have of a model handling things at least loosely along the right lines.

For me, providing commentary on each days’ runs is for time being largely for the thrill of the chase ;)

Edited by Singularity
  • Like 8

Posted
6 minutes ago, FiftyShadesofSnow said:

Hope we beat Spurs tmw...really worried the very cold SST anomaly southern tip of Greenland is feeding lows out the NE USA and the jet...leaves us in no mans land for longer.

image.gif

Me too! By way of note, BBC clearly following ECM solution...

DDFCBEEA-F165-4881-9958-5920513CC720.png

Edited by ITSY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

Here are 7 ensemble members from GEFS 18z that show some form of block to the north at Day 10 . 

IMG_1357.PNG

IMG_1358.PNG

IMG_1359.PNG

IMG_1360.PNG

IMG_1361.PNG

IMG_1362.PNG

IMG_1363.PNG

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

@Tamara a couple of points that I would like to raise following your post

The first is that the equatorial Kelvin wave that is likely to be set off from the recent strong peak in the MJO is likely to put an end to the La Nina - how quickly will the atmospheric nina state take to respond and a subsequent rise in GLAAM occur?

Also take a look at this great tweet from AM showing the poleward transfer of u wind anomalies

This looks like it will take time for any +ve u winds to hit the poles so the effects of the SSW could last for a while - 30 + days looking at that. So perhaps the tropical forcing won't be as strong as thought. 2009 was a totally different beast and the reason that any long term trop blocking following that SSW didn't occur may not be quite as valid now?

Perhaps.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1