Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - proper cold spell inbound?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything newsworthy, so long as it's not in the Daily Express
45 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Well lets see what the science says about it all shall we?

(Edited for brevity - sorry Q)

Really interesting post this Quick. I think most of us are hopeful of winter's last gasp being an icy cold one thanks to the SSW but as you rightfully point out, nature is often keen to blow a mild Southwesterly-based raspberry in our faces whenever we least expect it. What I do like about this particular stratospheric event is the extent to which the models are predicting favourable blocking and thereafter an Easterly flow from such a long way out (vis a vis METO update). How the next ten days or so unfold is going to make for fascinating model watching that's for sure - let's hope we can find our salvation from the right direction for once and not be forced to witness a dramatic climbdown day by day as we've suffered so many times in recent winters. Been through the GFS ensembles this morning - some unbelievable eye candy in there, by no means all of it at 384 hrs for a change. This my particular favourite (Pert 4) but there are lots more of equal interest.

tempresult_tdd7.giftempresult_ely2.giftempresult_tar3.gif

PS. Probably better if last few sentences of your post had been a bit less adversarial but that doesn't mean the rest of it wasn't fascinating :) 

Edited by supernova
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Back to the models, the GEFS ensembles have trended significantly colder over night after day 9/10 with the mean down below -5 which is very unusual given how far out it is, wintery weather is not guaranteed BUT given the SSW and background signals, a cold spell is much more likely than normal with the current vortex position.

Edited by Weathizard
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Well it was actually very relevant to the post I was making so no I won't post it in a different thread. You're not a mod. If you don't like it then that's your decision but its still a valid point to make in the model output discussion thread.

I think that is a fair enough comment from my viewing of the discussion over the past couple of pages. Interesting the differences and by the end of February we may know the answer. Beyond me but interesting to read the posts.

In terms of my ability then the anomaly charts continue to predict quite marked northern blocking. As yet, to me, it does seem too far north to have any marked effect although I am perhaps not interpreting what they show correctly. One could postulate that any surface lows are likely to track rather further south than they normally do. Behind any one of these deep lows then a northerly could develop and this might bring the blocking further south, at least on a temporary basis. Once there then deep cold might be hard to shift?

Just an idea.

Anyway below are the usual links. The 8-14 NOAA if you click on it keeps the northern blocking. One final comment, alluded to above, is that these are mean charts.

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/500mb.php

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
2 hours ago, chionomaniac said:

Great trend, finally, from the later stages of the ECM. Most satisfying seeing a kind of pattern that I have been anticipating and suggesting finally turn up. (that's relief not big headedness btw! lol) Now we just need to get any cold to filter our way.

I did find it odd though how the blocking to our N/NE is held at bay for so long by a weak trough extension NE from the UK. Related to the trough being so deep and the jet wrapping around a bit, but past experience suggests the jet can easily fire right on into Europe instead with the trough disrupting and secondary lows taking shape then sliding SE, so I am sceptical of the way the run evolves in the Atlantic sector. UKMO is a bit closer to achieving the disrupt-slide outcome so it will be of some interest to see (even in the limited view that we have to make do with) what the day 7 chart looks like when it comes along.

Elsewhere though, the trends with ECM and UKMO are indeed very promising and in line with what has been much advertised by expert minds :good:.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
12 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I don’t think you can use a ‘normal’ SSW as a benchmark. So I’m told this one has some uniqueness. 

Dr Cohen likes to 1985/1991 as anologues of upcoming split of which both winters delivered some spectacular winter weather the latter much less prolonged and perhaps more arguable in resultant conditions considering cold peaked relatively early in the month perhaps the efffects of SSW were instantaneous. I don’t think anyone should be certain. However, it’s clear to see, we stand a much greater chance GFS has consecutively being putting out very good FI charts. And the last day it’s picking up in semi reliable timeframe as below easterly in 10 days time.

GFS 00z gives an easterly within the next 10 days technically, and it turns into a snowy one too. No doubt MJO imo is why we’re seeing interest in a Scandi high but the SSW will decrease perhaps substantially the zonal westerlies across the Atlantic which are often the nail in the coffin, meaning we stand an increased chance of a prolonged easterly cold spell. I’m absoloutely no expert but even I see considerable potential. 

E8554BF1-581C-4401-B154-8F95664BC18D.thumb.png.24f5255b06f48d7faef110dbb4f4a142.png4E9B883C-6D16-48F2-8AFE-91C7603016B2.thumb.png.fded4fcb56554435fd97cda08b4a137e.png

From his latest blog..

Impacts

The predicted stratospheric PV split and the tropospheric response is likely to dominate the weather across the Northern Hemisphere through the end of winter. Most model runs predict that the PV disruption will qualify as a major mid-winter warming (where the winds reverse from westerly to easterly at 60°N and at 10hPa) though I don't consider it critical for the forecast. The PV disruption is unusual in that it is predicted to result in one primary stratospheric PV over North America. I also find it unusual that both sister vortices advect/transport significant amount of heat towards the equator simultaneously even after the split. Thanks to Twitter peeps Jonathan Wall (@_jwall), Swaginator457 (@BruenSryan) and Zac Lawrence (@zd1awrence) for their help identifying the best analogs for the predicted polar vortex split. I would say that the best analog was early January 1985 (central date of January 2) followed by early February 1991. Two weeks following the January 1985 PV split one of the greatest historical Arctic outbreaks was unleashed into the Eastern US (January1985cold). This contrasts with February 1991 that was an overall mild month though the end of the month was slightly below normal temperatures across the Eastern US with more significant cold in Eastern Canada. The temperature response across northern Eurasia was more consistent including Europe. For both January 1985 and February 1991 cold was widespread across much of Europe.

https://t.co/LahzvNZ6yj

There’s so much potential :D

Yup there is the factor of where abouts the SSW occurs, this one is focused on Greenland so I expect the Arctic Oscillation at least to really dip. Our chances of a really good cold spell depend on whether the NAO plays ball and SLP to our south dips too. Generally in late February - May blocking patterns become more common, hence these often being amongst the driest months in the British Isles.

• Like 1

Posted
50 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Well lets see what the science says about it all shall we?

There is considerable evidence that SSW's have an impact on atmospheric circulation patterns, indeed many studies have confirmed this. It provides a significant increase in forecasting skill.

But first what in an SSW event?

This refers to a warming of upto 50C in an area of the atmosphere 10-50km above the earth's surface. High up in the atmosphere we have the polar night jet, which can bend if we get blocking features in the lower atmosphere. If enough pressure is placed, the jet can break. In these scenarios air in the stratosphere collapses leading to a warming in our stratosphere. The easterly winds begin sinking from the stratosphere into the atmosphere and we start seeing the changes in atmospheric circulation, but this can either take place over days or weeks.

A recent paper by the Met Office (Scaife et al 2015) sheds some light on the impacts, here is a key figure:

Really great post that. Very balanced overview.

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

I think that is a fair enough comment from my viewing of the discussion over the past couple of pages. Interesting the differences and by the end of February we may know the answer. Beyond me but interesting to read the posts.

In terms of my ability then the anomaly charts continue to predict quite marked northern blocking. As yet, to me, it does seem too far north to have any marked effect although I am perhaps not interpreting what they show correctly. One could postulate that any surface lows are likely to track rather further south than they normally do. Behind any one of these deep lows then a northerly could develop and this might bring the blocking further south, at least on a temporary basis. Once there then deep cold might be hard to shift?

Just an idea.

Anyway below are the usual links. The 8-14 NOAA if you click on it keeps the northern blocking. One final comment, alluded to above, is that these are mean charts.

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/500mb.php

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

To me this is exactly where the ECM ensembles are right now.

By D10 on this morning's suite, you can see northern heights starting to build but far less than 50% have a direct influence on the UK at this stage.

By D13, cold but not deep cold is becoming the theme with the vast majority of runs seeing uppers between -4C and -8C widely (not to be dismissed on an easterly of course), but only about 5% of runs go colder than that.

The cold trend then actually eases slightly by D15.

Snow seems to have affected much of the UK at some point between D10/D15 but seems more focused towards the N and W, so probably from Atlantic incursions against cold air.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

If it ends up like February 2009 again then you can shove your SSW! A few flakes blowing in the wind, no thank you. 

We had 3 snowfalls of 4 inches in that spell. Each to their own. 

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, karyo said:

Every GFS run seems to upgrade Sunday and Monday's cold uppers! Plenty of snow showers in a northwesterly wind, veering more westerly by Monday.

Exactly  i dont tend to take the GFS charts to literally however.  Wintry from Friday Morning  with the odd blip.  Favoured areas from that wind direction will see quite a bit of snow one would have thought.   Sunday also looks interesting.  The North West and places exposed perhaps by the chesire gap  should be quite happy with the output in the near term.   Interesting 

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Exactly  i dont tend to take the GFS charts to literally however.  Wintry from Friday Morning  with the odd blip.  Favoured areas from that wind direction will see quite a bit of snow one would have thought.   Sunday also looks interesting.  The North West and places exposed perhaps by the chesire gap  should be quite happy with the output in the near term.   Interesting 

What i find particularly interesting is that Sunday's potential appears to be upgrading which is noteworthy for cold uppers coming from the west. Usually the opposite happens. 

Yes, tomorrow morning could surprise a few albeit it looks a bit more marginal than Sunday.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

And another potent West to North west flow next Thursday . -8 850s widely and a - 10 in Scotland. 

IMG_1299.PNG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, johnholmes said:

A request please.

However great you think a post is please try not to include it all when it is a long one, simply give a link to the post.

thank you

And remember you can collapse a long quoted post by clicking the little down arrow at the top of the quoted post - saves an awful lot of scrolling.

• Thanks 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Sunday and Monday looking very interesting for the NW with very cold uppers and heavy snow showers. Showers possibly pushing well inland as winds turn more westerly.

sss.thumb.png.1669af1e527d78477d8fa8a66685f680.png

asfsffv.thumb.png.3443c1f013ecb8c5bc76fa4b2d870c39.png

• Like 6

Posted
20 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

Let's hope the GFS 6z is off the mark . 

IMG_1300.PNG

Which was my point about earlier buddy!!all these charts are fine at t300 but if theyre not gona get closer whats the point!!theres a higher chance of things going wrong!!only one run though so hopefully gfs 12z reverts back to cold!!to be honest its looking just as wintry and snowy for the next week so i think we should not forget that either!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather
19 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

IMG_1300.PNG

And this is a reason people shouldn’t just think because we have a ssw taking place means cold and snowy for our little island. It all depends we’re the blocks ends up. Even with a ssw we could end up in a southerly flow. And wouldn’t that just be Sod’s law for us if that did transpire. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
Just now, terrier said:

And this is a reason people shouldn’t just think because we have a ssw taking place means cold and snowy for our little island. It all depends we’re the blocks ends up. Even with a ssw we could end up in a southerly flow. And wouldn’t that just be Sod’s law for us if that did transpire. 

reasonable point terrier but probably worth looking at all the ensemble runs before drawing too many conclusions on something which is still at least a week away.

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

IMG_1300.PNG

Whilst many are thinking the nwp doesn’t have a decent handle on the likely pattern post SSW, one does need to consider that perhaps it does. The models have been upgraded significantly over the past few years and the fact the eps don’t show wintry nirvana for nw Europe within 2 weeks may well be because it won’t happen !  Whilst I do expect to see more blocked runs appearing and deep cold bleeding into e Europe and Scandi during week 2, it doesn’t mean that this will happen - the eps could well turn out to be doing a decent job. the first indicator for me that things are to change will be to see if the ec op begins to correct se with the Atlantic trough extension at days 7/9. 

Certainly isn’t tedious !!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

What doesn't make sense is it looks primed for HLB at T240 . IMG_1301.thumb.PNG.8faf1f6dc6cb1f127ed829bf8ab92223.PNG

and then it just all disappeared. There's not really any blocking any where by day 15 ?? ?IMG_1302.thumb.PNG.a19a7f654c9da7b0382b6f6bd676feb1.PNG

A SSW and you should see HLB but there isn't any across the hole globe ? 

Edited by ICE COLD