Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - proper cold spell inbound?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
7 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

ECM 00z op was a huge outlier in FI:spiteful:

True, I did mean with adjustments - in fact ones akin to what GFS has just done;

h850t850eu.png

The next LP swings in a lot further west. Getting the impression that the historical 'adjustments to be south' guidance isn't worth much given a very small sample size; adjustments west may well be the way it happens after all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
3 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

Here she comes ?

IMG_1277.PNG

IMG_1278.PNG

IMG_1279.PNG

IMG_1280.PNG

Looks dry:D:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
1 minute ago, That ECM said:

Looks dry:D:D

Get the cold in first and all that ?. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

LOL. If @Catacol or I could have drawn the run that we expected from day 10 then the GFS 12Z has just saved us the bother! This type of SSW and the way it has evolved was always going to deliver a quick trop response. Always the question though that will we see the cold when it drops into the mid latitudes. As I said the other night we have the best chances for a long time.

Agreed Chino, one of the best SSW I've seen in many winters.

image.thumb.png.dcb6ba14af4189bce03edc99678ab5fd.png

This is the GFS forecast for Monday 12th after a weekend of warming. GFS has been spot on so far with this warming.

When in the last few winters have we even seen close to this!

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, sausage said:

gosh this model output is draining. going to be march at this rate. easterlies dont wrk in march due to north sea temps. i remember that from march 13. Just cant get excited about anything. all this met office talk of systems running into uk producing snow. erm im not seeing this at all!! this week really was over ramped probably also why steve murrs gone so quiet!!come on models for once give us something amazing, not good, something mouth watering. a few days of easterly prolonged heavy natiomwide snow showers will do!!

I understood that North Sea temperatures were at their lowest in early March , if that is the case we are certainly in the game.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Control run has read the script as well

E15AC636-E815-48DB-8642-C9E6E4F1F704.thumb.png.f66aec65f81a58c427740393a46c3e1e.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

If you look through all 20 gefs plus the control at t300 ish. Everyone of them has a very disorganised pv. Heights in different places and differing strengths as you would expect but very interesting and I think it's fair to say that gfs is factoring a ssw.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Apart from the ever-present far-FI BfTE, I can't see much of interest, on the 12Z, apart from whatever tonight brings...Jam tomorrow. Jam tomorrow. Jam tomorrow!:D

Unless of course, I've suddenly come down with Blue-Green Colour Blindness!:santa-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

@nick sussex - are you still expecting the nwp to flip QTR before day 10 ???

Yes! :) Now that the models are latching onto a QTR I’d expect that to be accelerated.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Could @Paul maybe add QTR to that word describer thing which is used for the likes of ECM, UKMO etc it is popping up a lot in this thread but many don't know what it stands for

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
9 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Apart from the ever-present far-FI BfTE, I can't see much of interest, on the 12Z, apart from whatever tonight brings...Jam tomorrow. Jam tomorrow. Jam tomorrow!:D

Unless of course, I've suddenly come down with Blue-Green Colour Blindness!:santa-emoji:

No but you might be suffering from premature reactivation ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
42 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

Oh ok then if we have too?@rosbby waves @ssw @mjo @serious blocking.

There is no-reason 'given the signaling, and evolution that we will not end up like this...i think coming into nearer time frame also...as we gain on atmospheric responses!!!

Classic end to winter!!??

Likely imo!

Lets just wack-the 6z london ens on this.

And await for compare the 12z set... to which i'll add to the post when they are out!!!

gfsnh-0-372.png

gfsnh-1-372.png

MT8_London_ens (1).png

12z.. good signs moving forwards...

And preety much below av-throughout.

MT8_London_ens (2).png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Given that we are a small island on the edge of a relatively warm ocean especially at our latitude, we can't afford to be choosy as to when we see a cold spell! 

Often our best snowfalls have fallen at the back end of winter and even during the months of March and April. There's been a fair few blizzards and thundersnow events in April, one of which I got caught out in doing the morning paper round during 2008. That was also when the beginning of the last solar minimum was taking hold. I understand the frustration with the lengthening days and warmth of the strengthening sun taking the edge off the events, but it's better than nothing at all. And with the sea temperature lag, the Suns strength on this part of the world makes little difference in comparison to many other places, and its more often than not in December, our uppers get watered down too much, due to the warmth of the surrounding sea. Let's just enjoy what we get. I think this spring could well be a notable one for cold, given the SSW forecast. 

• Like 5