Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - proper cold spell inbound?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

My goodness it's exciting isn't it, waiting to see how the SSW impacts on the uk and mainland europe..will it be like flipping a switch seeing the models change suddenly?..the anticipation is growing..

in the meantime, enjoy the cold during the next few days and the upcoming cold zonality, hopefully like the ukmo 12z which would be colder than usual from the w / nw..potentially lots for coldies to look forward to this month!:):cold:

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
24 minutes ago, That ECM said:

Interesting, not showing on gfs. Something to watch out for on future runs. Due to that high and therefore moving PV towards us hence causing more of a nw flow for a period? TIA if an easterly is to happen, how in your opinion do you think this will happen?

In all honesty I'm not sure at the moment. But from that chart I would expect the trough over us to decline and heights start to build to our NE. Then we need to see if the second phase strat warming can obliterate the stronger Hudson bay daughter vortex.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
56 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

The first signs of the SSW trop disturbances are there on the latest ECM 12Z by day 10 #arctichigh

ECMOPNH12_240_1.thumb.png.290166c049500345c0b8bbb67d024086.png

That to me is the starting point.

Hasn't a artic high already been modelled in the later stages of output quite a few times already this winter? Why is that one different in relation to a SSW?

Edit - is it because of split pv?

Edited by Chevron12345
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

Just took a peak at the uppers for ukmo 144hrs and was shocked at how cold they were! Didnt expect that. I wonder if thats something to do with the upper atmosphere changing  and pushing the cold to mid latitudes. Can see big swings this week. Hold on to your hats and scarves!

• Like 3

Posted
18 minutes ago, Chevron12345 said:

Hasn't a artic high already been modelled in the later stages of output quite a few times already this winter? Why is that one different in relation to a SSW?

Edit - is it because of split pv?

You have answered your own question correctly. Any previous Arctic highs may not have been in line with background expectations. This one certainly is. When the models are in line with background signals then we take more note. The EPS AO has dropped like a stone so this shouldn't be a surprise. It may not be there on the next run but I suspect the blocking signal will be, somewhere.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Posted

Guys, has anyone actually used their eyes tonight?! :oops: we’re looking for trends not the holy grail...

B541D5AE-EB19-4388-BFE4-6FC82B5E67B0.png

D0656030-E957-4C1B-AF95-572F076DB798.png

0B0D0DBB-8EB2-49E1-A5C3-A38541174EF4.png

F78C89F0-A82C-44F9-9015-B7F049D14A04.png

051CA251-98A5-425F-BB1D-07F3BE2B6756.png

220169BB-A348-48B5-B7D6-05E0E5DC8261.png

104A9251-F2AF-4CD9-8BAF-4D32D006CBC6.png

53278B12-FF42-47D3-8479-AE15C5ED09C2.png

D8BE9A52-893A-4D1D-8CA7-B9A4767CF50F.png

2AC6AEBA-68CE-4625-8371-E95AC390D6DD.png

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

You have answered your own question correctly. Any previous Arctic highs may not have been in line with background expectations. This one certainly is. When the models are in line with background signals then we take more note. The EPS AO has dropped like a stone so this shouldn't be a surprise. It may not be there on the next run but I suspect the blocking signal will be, somewhere.

Sod’s law that the 12z eps back off somewhat on the neg AO although they still go neg.  the gefs and gems seem to be getting lower on it, run by run 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE

Just so you know  the gfs snow charts are wrong for over here the precipitation over Ireland was for snow its just grains its now evaporating the cold is killing the front i wouldn't expect much over the UK from this. So hard to model. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Sod’s law that the 12z eps back off somewhat on the neg AO although they still go neg.  the gefs and gems seem to be getting lower on it, run by run 

I must admit that is a bit of a surprise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Interesting, current sunspot is crackling with B and C class flares.  Not unusual in solar max but of interest as we close in on solar min.  Talk of SSW ahead too so interesting indeed..

I’m cautious of this potential period ahead, inasmuch Scandi Height rises look like a very good bet but I have concerns on the shape/positioning of it.  It hasn’t gelled this winter, but getting Height rises / blocking system there certainly puts us in with a shout.  

So midmonth, block forming in place, jet meandering wildly, will we get an LP system going underneath ‘enough’.......watch time.

BFTP

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Snowjokes92 said:

Just took a peak at the uppers for ukmo 144hrs and was shocked at how cold they were! Didnt expect that. I wonder if thats something to do with the upper atmosphere changing  and pushing the cold to mid latitudes. Can see big swings this week. Hold on to your hats and scarves!

Yes both ECM and UKMO are showing very cold uppers advancing east through north atlantic, sub 510 dam air encroaching, colder than what we saw a couple of weeks back, all down to the very cold air that has been in residence over NE Canada all winter, and I wouldn't be surprised if the stirrings in the strat are having this effect, there is potential for an almighty surge of frigid uppers to spill out from the Pole somewhere into the mid lattitudes once the warming does its trick - an arctic snow bomb perhaps.. oh gosh I'm normally more restrained than this..

Back to the here and now, lots going on, cold for the foreseeable, a very brief milder phase on Thursday blink and miss it, chance of further snow showers later in the week from the NW, similar to 17-19 Jan.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow
1 hour ago, Snowjokes92 said:

Do you think more snow is likely then based on the outputs?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE
5 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Yes both ECM and UKMO are showing very cold uppers advancing east through north atlantic, sub 510 dam air encroaching, colder than what we saw a couple of weeks back, all down to the very cold air that has been in residence over NE Canada all winter, and I wouldn't be surprised if the stirrings in the strat are having this effect, there is potential for an almighty surge of frigid uppers to spill out from the Pole somewhere into the mid lattitudes once the warming does its trick - an arctic snow bomb perhaps.. oh gosh I'm normally more restrained than this..

Back to the here and now, lots going on, cold for the foreseeable, a very brief milder phase on Thursday blink and miss it, chance of further snow showers later in the week from the NW, similar to 17-19 Jan.

Sounds like a ramp lol. :D

Be interesting to see the 144 chart on 18z and  if the flow is more North westerly than the 12z.UKmo looks good. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
2 hours ago, stodge said:

I don't follow this at all. No one was expecting the cold air to come back west as early as mid month.

The PV is under attack and a split vortex is still on course for the 9th-10th after which the two vortices will themselves be subject to strong warmings.

It's a hugely significant event but its immediate tropospheric response isn't yet clear. We are going to have to endure a final Atlantic onslaught next week and all the models tonight have a very deep LP around or to the south of Iceland at T+240.

From there, of course, there are any number of possibilities and as I've said from the start, the SSW doesn't guarantee cold or snow - all it does is buy us a seat at the table not a winning hand. 

I'm NOT going to say a SSW will lead inevitably to colder conditions over the British Isles - it COULD but I'm not saying it WILL.

There is a lag as we all know - ten days from 9th-10th takes us to 19th-20th and the very edge now of GFS FI - look at the GEFS of T+372 off the 12z and you'll see plenty of interest.

We may finish up with benign boring dross or we may not - it's going to be an interesting few days of model watching.

No one? I was and it was modelled here and there as well with just that trend withing GFS ensembles until the last 24h where that has been reversed.

Also at no time in any of my posts did I mention the reasoning being the upcoming SSW event.

I explained precisely why I expected better height rises to the NE - much better trough disruption with some energy heading SE instead of all heading NE. (currently around 120 through 144) with eventual undercut of any blocking to our East.

I expected the output to begin to explore that by this evening but it isn't the case so it seems it was a wrong call barring a sharp turnaround.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

18z an improvement on previous runs at least.

gfsnh-0-144.png?18 gfsnh-0-150.png?12

Edited by Mucka

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.
30 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Sub 474 DAM air over NE Canada! :help:

474.gif

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Ec 46 shows week 3 and 4 low heights and slp nw Europe and high heights and slp to our north and nw. Tough to see how high heights are over scandi until global picture revealed. What is noticeable is -4c upper across midlands weeks 3 and  4. That’s a long way off for such a mean. 

From what Nick F posted could be quite snowy with potential for elusive channel lows.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
2 minutes ago, Steve C said:

Sub 474 DAM air over NE Canada! :help:

474.gif

How many fronts crossing us???

Posted

although I am still of the opinion that this could have been a more memorable cold spell had it not been for the much stronger warming and forcing we are seeing in the strat  I think most would be willing to forsake that if we see real winter wonderland arrive at our shores.

I think over the coming days and runs we will see the heights build more robustly north from roughly our local with the large area of low heights held back further west. Strong heights then developing in the high north east Arctic ( Severnaya Islands) linking with heights from eastern Atlantic ushering in very cold (maybe bitterly cold) north easterly winds etc. This may very well take 20-25 days from now as the models struggle to digest the implifications of such strong strat forcing. I would expect that we will be entrenched in a cold pattern several days before the real cold kicks in with a risk of some snow. 

Here's hoping.