Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - proper cold spell inbound?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
Just now, bluearmy said:

Given the issues of strat/trop coupling and the modelling of the strat being at lower res with less layers, I think we need to be circumspect re nwp for later next week and beyond

Indeed Blue. Anything beyond 120/144 really is FI at the moment especially with the strat changes going on. Yesterdays gfs 12z showed how it should work i. an ideal world but this the uk of course.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

The GFS 6z and ECM day 9 are no where near each other . Pitch of salt everyone . 

GFS 

IMG_1267.thumb.PNG.76e20c50b40d30784c8d4720c367ed75.PNG

ECM

IMG_1269.thumb.PNG.de18c280115ed85693a9d89b4065af71.PNG

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Looks like the Polar Vortex over Greenland wants to have one last laugh this winter before perhaps succumbing to downwelling of the SSW later in the month. No getting away from it, but looks like a more zonal / mobile spell of weather  off the Atlantic is on the cards from the weekend, albeit cold zonal. Just hope the trop PV blows itself out quicker than the GFS operationals have shown this morning.

Still, we have a week of cold weather ahead, not particularly noteworthy or memorable for the cold or snow, but most should see some snow this week, as band of snow moves SE tomorrow across most parts, then another Atlantic front moving SE on Thursday/Friday should bring snow for some, though looking more marginal for this late week event, with a rain/sleet/snow mix at lower levels.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Looks like heights will finally rise across Greenland by late Feb ensuring a very cold end to the winter.

But back to the more important thing, the prospect of FRONTAL snow for eastern Ireland tonight. A very very rare event.

hirlamuk-1-17-0.png?05-10

18-574UK.GIF?05-6

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Another cracking ending, aided by a follow-on warming over Greenland which really kills off what remains of the PV. Patience. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
5 minutes ago, Matty M said:

Looks like heights will finally rise across Greenland by late Feb ensuring a very cold end to the winter.

But back to the more important thing, the prospect of FRONTAL snow for eastern Ireland tonight. A very very rare event.

hirlamuk-1-17-0.png?05-10

18-574UK.GIF?05-6

Yep in the far reaches of FI . If it went a few more frames it could of been stonking ?

IMG_1270.PNG

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Another nice ending to the GFS. Retrogression of UK high, PV non existent, plenty of cold Bottled up to the NE.

Things ticking along nicely.. sure some will find something to be pessimistic about though! :whistling:

gfsnh-0-384.png?6gfsnh-1-384.png?6

A long way out granted, but we are trying to get an idea of what might happen following the predicted SSW, so rather than detail, it's looking for the more general theme. Karlos likey! :D

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

As I write this the sun (Solent area) is streaming through the window and is clearly now starting to be a factor. Is there a model which gives any solar strength.... Please excuse me for a lack of technical terms.  Thanks 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, ICE COLD said:

Yep in the far reaches of FI . If it went a few more frames it could of been stonking ?

IMG_1270.PNG

Aye, the three stages of the GFS: 0-5 days - reliable; 5-10 days - semi-reliable; 10-15 days - NARNIA!:santa-emoji::cold:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

Isn't this really what we need for the summer months - the problem with this winter is that the HP's have been in the wrong place.

gfs-0-312.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
9 minutes ago, Chief Wiggam said:

As I write this the sun (Solent area) is streaming through the window and is clearly now starting to be a factor. Is there a model which gives any solar strength.... Please excuse me for a lack of technical terms.  Thanks 

Insolation? 

insolation_latitude.gif

The red line is roughly suitable for the UK. Of course the actual Watts hitting the surface will depend on cloud cover.

Edit: Image is from here:

http://www.physicalgeography.net/fundamentals/6i.html

Edited by Yarmy
Credit image source
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 minutes ago, mike Meehan said:

Isn't this really what we need for the summer months - the problem with this winter is that the HP's have been in the wrong place.

gfs-0-312.png

That's our climate summed up - 'right synoptics at the wrong time of year' lol. That chart is primed for high pressure sliding west and the low heights above it slipping southeastwards. On the day itself, however, probably very spring like.

• Like 2

Posted
29 minutes ago, mike Meehan said:

gfs-0-312.png

Many memorable UK cold spells have started with a UK High, which then slips off to Greenland, then scandi, then back to Greenland! :)

Be interesting to see the ENS over the next few days. Will they start to smell the coffee! 

Yesterday's ECM extended not yet, but 00z will be out shortly! I'm going to start saving them and comparing runs from today!

image.thumb.png.2248cd5934ac5d62eaa5fb9be2b16ba4.png

EDIT: Here they are for 00z

image.thumb.png.5b993d1d7b6afa3f42276c1222aba568.png

more colder members in the middle of the run compared tom the 12z, other than that, not too much to get excited about yet on the ENS.

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 3

Posted

By 150 we have two GEFS ensembles that go this route... 

Can we competly ignore these at such a short lead time? 

Screenshot_20180205-113101.png

Screenshot_20180205-113011.png

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, ALL ABOARD said:

By 150 we have two GEFS ensembles that go this route... 

Can we competly ignore these at such a short lead time? 

Screenshot_20180205-113101.png

Screenshot_20180205-113011.png

I think we can, just your typical outliers you get with most Ensemble sets.

Then again the Mild sector on Thursday started with support of just one or two runs. 

Posted

Very cursory glance at work but 13 GEFS members with significant ridging towards Greenland/Iceland/N Atlantic by T+360. Given the background signals, that's quite a noticeable move in my mind...

Mean at 384 shows big tendency towards height rises over N Atlantic/Europe: 

gensnh-21-1-384.png 

Edited by ITSY
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Well, the GEFS certainly looks like it's starting to smell the coffee already!

gens_panel_hze7.png 

Take a look at the Mean!!

gensnh-21-1-360.png

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Lots of scatter at 144 so FI begins around 120.  Interesting to again see the GFS and Control very much on the mild side of the mean for most of the run after day 6.  I would think it's only a matter of time until we get a stonking FI run....getting it to verify is a different matter though!

Diagramme GEFS

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

I think we can, just your typical outliers you get with most Ensemble sets.

Then again the Mild sector on Thursday started with support of just one or two runs. 

Agreed. But given continious updates from met with regards to the battleground conditions continuing across the UK, surely cant be discounted.

• Like 2

Posted

Just waiting to see the AO/NAO from that ens suite

the trend from the 00z suites was pretty clear and looking to see if subsequent runs firm up further

EDIT: nothing dramatic but the spread shrinking further approaching the 18th on a neg AO/NAO combo

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 3

Posted
5 hours ago, Chevron12345 said:

Quick Trop Response? Is it on that chart or are you just guessing? PV looks pretty organised to me.

I mean, I didn't any charts would be showing the effects of a SSW for a number of days yet.

Well somewhat ‘guessing’ but I think it’s conceivable. This is right now looks more organised to me, following a SSW or any big disruption at first I believe, we tend to see the jet stream retreat southwards and take a more meandering path. Before we see any HLB but I don’t really know. It could be to do with MJO but phase 7 composite isn’t a great match? Therefore I also think there is also some assistance there from strat developments. In keeping vortex away from roosting over Greenland we’ll see but GFS is consecutively giving real eye candy in FI

D4B181C1-FC55-4688-93C3-BAF5F2237083.thumb.png.9b754afd107d333e4cb4fef464654039.png

Posted
3 hours ago, TEITS said:

I have been keeping an eye on the GEFS SLP Mean for Iceland because to me around the 19th Feb we could well see the development of a Greenland HP.

The mean continues to rise and now stands a 1015mb. The 0Z GFS was clearly much lower than the mean.

prmslReyjavic.png

Until then though I feel after this week the weather will turn more unsettled, less cold, less snow than some are suggesting including the Met O.

GFSENS06_64_-22_208.png

GFS 06z ensembles.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Control run on the money :wink:

gensnh-0-1-384.png

gensnh-0-0-384.png

The mean not miles away either

gensnh-21-1-360.png

• Like 8