Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - proper cold spell inbound?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Looking at the GEFS 6z mean, most of the week ahead looks very cold with some inland spots at freezing or sub zero, especially tues / wed and next Saturday so expect plenty of frosty / icy weather and some snow at times too!:):cold:..beyond the week ahead also indicates below average temps..in other words..cold!:D

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Below average!!..

And dont be surprised to see further squashing above the line....

@decline

6z london ens.

MT8_London_ens (1).png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
Just now, tight isobar said:

Have a butchers..

Vortex annihilation!!!

DVI2cowVMAEmXz9.mp4..

Massive implications...

@strat warming

Very interesting TI and look how the broken piece of the vortex drops south behind our cold block then heads west. 

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

Very interesting TI and look how the broken piece of the vortex drops south behind our cold block then heads west. 

Exactly!!!?

Screenshot_2018-02-04-11-59-44.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
34 minutes ago, khodds said:

As you are most likely aware, some members of NW don’t just purely post on the MOD thread... hence the high post count (I don’t post very often due to unhelpful posts like yours... it’s not very welcoming is it?)

back to the regionals I go then....

Sorry, I was just commenting on the fact that someone who was a long time member was taking the P out of some valued posters on here. It's easy to get east/west confused when talking about evolution. Just don't think there's a place for ridicule in the way the post was written. Sorry for any offence

Edited by geordiekev
  • Like 4

Posted
18 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

Below average!!..

And dont be surprised to see further squashing above the line....

@decline

6z london ens.

MT8_London_ens (1).png

Aberdeen's 6z ens...no prizes for- noting.

Where the colder air is/remains!!!

MT8_Aberdeen_ens.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
2 minutes ago, geordiekev said:

Sorry, I was just commenting on the fact that someone who was a long time member was taking the P out of some valued posters on here. It's easy to get east/west confused when talking about evolution. Just don't think there's a place for ridicule in the way the post was written. Sorry for any offence

No worries. I don’t think Jethro was taking the mickey, she just was just confused as we all get on here with the variety of opinions/interpretations of the models.  Same thing happens every year! 

Glad that’s cleared up - sorry I bit back, I read your post wrong ?.

onwards to the 12z.... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
41 minutes ago, stodge said:

Never mind, the weather will give what it gives and we take what it gives.

Great post Stodge. I’ve noticed as always we’re looking at 200 miles this way or that way could give us very different outcomes. This expected dive in zonal winds I suppose could force the vortex a little Nw so high p sets up more north of the Uk instead of further south as the Gfs shows

69F8B5F7-97D2-4696-9D35-06C6F26AAB6C.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Looking at the week ahead, as you can see the GEFS 6z mean paints a predominantly cold / very cold picture with some ice days, very frosty, icy nights and there will also be some snow around, pretty much anywhere across the uk at some point..looking at closer range on the Gfs 6z op, the SE is the sweet spot tonight and tomorrow morning as frequent wintry showers turn to snow giving an inch or two accumulation in places, even sea level could get a covering!..:):cold:

06_21_preciptype.png

06_24_preciptype.png

06_24_ukthickness850.png

06_30_preciptype.png

21_30_2mtmpmax.png

21_54_2mtmpmax.png

21_78_2mtmpmax.png

21_102_2mtmpmax.png

21_126_2mtmpmax.png

21_150_2mtmpmax.png

21_222_2mtmpmax.png

21_246_2mtmpmax.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Very interesting from Michael Ventrice this morning:

This some of the worst model volatility I've seen in a long time; Models diverge in their predicts as early as 5 days out. We are extremely limited in our capabilities in providing an accurate forecast today.

DVMDAZyVoAAIouG.jpg

I would assume that the forecasted SSW is creating more than a little chaos for the NWP?  I think more than ever we need to treat anything after 120hrs with much scepticism at the moment (unless it's showing cold when of course it will verify!)

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
12 minutes ago, Ice Day said:

Very interesting from Michael Ventrice this morning:

DVMDAZyVoAAIouG.jpg

I would assume that the forecasted SSW is creating more than a little chaos for the NWP?  I think more than ever we need to treat anything after 120hrs with much scepticism at the moment (unless it's showing cold when of course it will verify!)

It's likely due to a multitude of factors right now.

The poor struggle of a weather nothing of real interest for 2 months then BAM! It all comes at once.

Edited by SN0WM4N
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

ECH1-240.GIF?04-12

I would expect charts like this to start disappearing pretty soon if/when the PV splits....somewhere is going into the freezer, it's just whether we have the lucky lottery ticket!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

What Stodge has posted regarding temporary ‘last hurrah’ of the vortex brings to light the conundrum the models are struggling with; the strat-driven signal for an uptick in zonal winds versus the trop-driven signal for a reduction of via lagged impact in N Atlantic of MJO P7 and AAM climb inc. positive MT.

Both can be underestimated by the models, so human input has its work cut out too.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

Well Guys and Girls the output is far from boring at min . With a cold week to come here and a SSW predicted, I have a really good feeling we're gonna see some BOOM charts/output in the next few days ?. Nice message from IF earlier on regarding SSW , so at least METO are on board for that . Let the crazy times in the MOD begin ?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Not sure whats happened in this thread in recent days.

The outputs when rubbish for cold seem to cause a lot of sniping and moaning and then when the outputs are more interesting still sniping and moaning!

Anyway can people just get on, the vast majority are really on the same side, as in liking cold weather and snow.

In terms of the outputs its really not a time to be viewing longer range outputs as a done deal because of the MJO and the upcoming SSW both of which are going to lead to some large changes.

As has already been mentioned in these threads the issue of the PV and what happens in SSW events, you often do see  a temporary re-invigoration of that before it weakens.

The current fight between the MJO trying to re-amplify the pattern and the PV trying to flatten things is what we're seeing play out, hence we've seen these eastwards corrections then back again to more westwards ones.

The PV will eventually be floored as the MJO recruits the SSW and together finish it off!

Top post nick . Someone that speaks a lot of sense ??. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

The GEFS runs that keep the high in the picture if you will early on re-amplify at D10 leading to an easterly wind direction while dry later on gather pace and form some rather impressive HLB, those flatter are less impressive later on. 

If you want to see something that causes a tingle in the nether region then look at P20 straight up would rival Nov/Dec 2010.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder , Lightning , Snow , Blizzards
8 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Bang on as usual @nick sussex ! Are the Strat and Trop coupled well at the moment ? Reason I ask is after this potential ( and I say potential as I don’t want to jinx) SSW I’m wondering about the lag timeframe until the effects are felt in the troposphere ? 

Edited by Raythan
  • Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, SN0WM4N said:

The GEFS runs that keep the high in the picture if you will early on re-amplify at D10 leading to an easterly wind direction while dry later on gather pace and form some rather impressive HLB, those flatter are less impressive later on. 

If you want to see something that causes a tingle in the nether region then look at P20 straight up would rival Nov/Dec 2010.

Could post a pic-of a beautiful woman...

But on this occasion...these will do!!?

mr steve murrs sausage come with double egg n, bacon here!!!?

gens-20-1-384.png

gens-20-1-372.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, Raythan said:

Bang on as usual @nick sussex ! Are the Strat and Trop coupled well at the moment ? Reason I ask is after this potential ( and I say potential as I don’t want to jinx) SSW I’m wondering about the lag timeframe until the effects are felt in the troposphere ? 

The trop response varies . Sometimes the reversal propagates down quickly , it’s also effected by the current state of the AO.

Theres a stronger response in terms of the NH pattern if you’re in a more positive or neutral AO state which does seem logical because you in a sense have more explosive energy.

If you’re already in a negative AO phase you have less energy to play with .

The current state of the AO at onset of the SSW looks around neutral so hopefully a bigger shuffling of the NH pattern.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2