Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - proper cold spell inbound?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Finally at t-804 we have a finger of milder uppers approaching our shores. Must remember to wake Sydney ??

7B480519-A431-482F-919B-23DF0B95FB3F.png

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, karlos1983 said:

I’ve always liked You Feb :D

All seriousness though, CFS has been quite consistent last few days about a very cold blocked Feb into March. I know it’s not the most reliable model but it’s accessible, so we are always going to look. 

It must be the SSW that's doing these crazy 4c -ve temp anomalies throughout 1 month+ that are coming out of the CFS lately, if we maintain the pattern with that frigid air to the East and the GFS SSW verifies we would be looking at a spell miles superior to this effort next week, the EPS now back up the split SSW but it looks a tad further East but still very decent.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
48 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Eps mean get colder post day 10 !!!!

45 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Hopefully number 16 from the gfs ensemble run,is where we will end up mid-month with sub -20 hpa incoming from the other side of the North sea:D:cold:

142E4A1E-10BA-4135-9F90-5FBF5F6805B2.png

85462EFD-E677-46F9-99DA-E2B774A8FA24.png

That's well good news BA . I take it there are lots of ens members in the ecm suit that look like the one  sleety just posted ? That is a stonking chart sleety ??

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: coldie
2 hours ago, Draig Goch said:

Still some disagreement between GFS, ECM & UKMO perhaps? Many people (including myself) have noticed this temperature difference from various parts of the U.K. & Ireland. UKMO continues to be "less cold" than the others 

I'm wondering could this be caused because UKMO show temps in towns and cities and therefore have an urban heat effect whereas the other models don't. Or am I completely wrong on that.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

I think it will be too cold to snow!!!

haha don’t you just hate it when some say such rubbish, anyway I’d say it’s looking bitter next week and I’m pretty sure snow will be mentioned quite a bit as we no stuff will pop up with very little notice

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Err West veering North veering E/NE for a while then just veering all over the shop

Hope that clears that up then

image.thumb.png.ea163e73b22ecb6a2512061175705df7.png

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Dacyfo said:

I'm wondering could this be caused because UKMO show temps in towns and cities and therefore have an urban heat effect whereas the other models don't. Or am I completely wrong on that.

All models have UHI effects built into them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Posted

I used the word trough disruption yesterday; and the models are certainly saying this is on the cards for the foreseeable; heights building through scandi on a defined SW-NE elongation enabling a very cold upper pool to develop and plunge into N Europe advecting our way, azores high resident to our SW and unusually a pincer attack from the NW also, with sub-10 uppers invading towards western coasts - warm sectors associated with any frontal attacks becoming squeezed and combusting in situ as the cold to the west and east mixes it out quickly. Possibly snowy for some next week, staying cold, very cold locally at times.

Longer term - I'm keeping an eye on stratospheric developments, if the PV does split, then every chance a more significant robust larger ridge will develop to our NE; against the vagaries of the PV which will continue to cause a tight temp gradient through N Atlantic, where will the atlantic frontal attacks go, either under the ridge, or more trough disruption. Could be a very different Feb ahead compared to many we've seen recently. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Been interesting on patrol out today and evening- cold with a sleety shower at 3pm in Devonport and boy that wind chill this evening in a NNW wind was getting bitter- which for Plymouth is pretty good.

Be intersting to see if that -7 /-8 500 line comes into play next Tuesday/Wednesday. Let’s see if that front becomes a bit more progressive against the block rather than stalling in Ireland.

IF it turns Easterly those uppers scream February 1987 and that was an amazing cold spell down here 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

On the 18z coming out shortly,i will be looking for more trough disruption and the height's gain more momentum to our NE

speaking of height's to our NE,didn't we right it off a few days ago?,it just shows how quick the models change,and for the better:spiteful:

18z coming out now so

hsnmtg.jpg up:D

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 3

Posted

This is the mean anomoly for Dec and jan

2A3A8873-CD86-4014-B6FE-E45D3F64F1D8.thumb.jpeg.6e352d20efa41c4b0ec78f23b5b52632.jpeg

Perhaps feb will see a similar return but retrogressed a little. Given the lower temps over the continent, that could be quite interesting for the uk. 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, January Snowstorm said:

It's a completely different set up to 2010.

Back then we had constant strong Northeast to East winds which drove showers well inland. Anyone who knows a bit about forecasting knows that under col conditions like next week dry and bitter bitter cold is the former horse.

So different to 2010 BUT because of the encroaching atlantic it COULD deliver as much fun!!

The start of the second cold spell in 2010 was result of a straight Northerly thanks to a Greenland high. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Shortwave running west under the high. Could provide a snow event if it makes it far enough.

gfs-0-66.png?18

Posted

@ 66 the -8 is quickier into the SE

gfs-1-66.png?18gfs-1-72.png?12

• Like 3

Posted
16 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

This is the mean anomoly for Dec and jan

2A3A8873-CD86-4014-B6FE-E45D3F64F1D8.thumb.jpeg.6e352d20efa41c4b0ec78f23b5b52632.jpeg

Perhaps feb will see a similar return but retrogressed a little. Given the lower temps over the continent, that could be quite interesting for the uk. 

Goes to show how useless anomalies are at showing real conditions. You would think the UK was buried under snow in January looking at that.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

Hmmmm very Quite on here ?. Is the GFS 18z going ok ? Im panicking now . Mr Murr come in and steady the nerves ? 

Edited by ICE COLD
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
Just now, shaky said:

Bloody norah its quiet in here!!thought it would be buzzin!!thats me done for the night!!lets see what the 00zs bring!!

Everyone’s either waiting for the breakdown or just simply in shock. 

It all looks quite nailed on now well I hope

Posted
9 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Every inch counts...:D

Yes it does:D

shoulder-deep-snow.jpg

the 850's are not as cold at 102 but i do like the point in direction from that -16 cold pool over southern Scandi>pointing west:)

gfsnh-1-102.png?18gfsnh-1-108.png?12

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 2

Posted

GFS still far more progressive than the ECM with regards to the frontal system early next week. Coldest air from the east a little further east and the mild sector a touch slower to 'mix out' than on it's 12z run.

I think the GFS is often too progressive and the ECM not progressive enough. A half way house would be good for central/western areas of the UK in terms of snow.

Edited by MattStoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow
1 minute ago, Allseasons-si said:

Yes it does:D

shoulder-deep-snow.jpg

the 850's are not as cold at 102 but i do like the point in direction from that -16 cold pool over southern Scandi>pointing west:)

gfsnh-1-102.png?18

Its nice to have a situation where we can play around with the 850's a little bit for once and still get snow. 

• Like 1