Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Summer Sun

Posted

A sunshine station 30 miles(Leeming) from me. South east looks good:D If the 2nd half matches the first we’ll have the sunniest month since July 2013 and very close to matching it and only 50 hours from July 2006 and that’s saying something as that’s probably the sunniest month ever recorded since records began here!

283DD2C7-F0F4-4350-A5F0-1DBE00A5B729.jpeg

2D1D05AC-6264-46B2-9F77-62702AF2E4E1.jpeg

544D6D2B-5664-4CC3-983A-8A20F6AC6436.jpeg

Edited by Matthew.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Much more pleasant today,fresh,lovely spring day it won't last though,warming up again

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Nooo! That wind today was a nagging nithering one that was a sharp shock after the pleasant stuff of late. Heatings gone back on too in the house 

Posted

Heating?? Its still 22C in here!

Interesting for May so far, with a very warm average max and normal average min. That combined with 152hrs of sunshine so far, is very indicative of plenty of clear skies. Running figures to the 16th:

Mean Max: 18.5C (+3.5C)
Mean Min: 7.1C (+0.0C)
Sunshine:  152hrs (149%)
Rainfall: 19.6mm (82%)

Posted

Yes May is certainly making up for the dull skies of March and April. There has been abundant sunshine and lots more on the way - clear skies. Indicative of the limited influence of the atlantic especially the dreaded tropical maritime airstream.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I switched the heating on too! It was only 10C at midday - although 14C by afternoon when the skies cleared.

Posted

Yeah, we had to put the heating on low, with some days falling back to 17 in the day, so making the evenings feel cool or cold. It’s still chilly at night. 

But, it’s been nice all the same, with no humidity and dry sunny weather. This will probably change once we hit June and the heat becomes more established with warm and humid nights.

I’ve also had to go back to wearing jumpers under my summer jacket, as I was feeling cold at work today. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Heating? Really?? Even with doors and windows open today my flat never dropped below 20c.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

Heating? Really?? Even with doors and windows open today my flat never dropped below 20c.

Some people live in poorly insulated and/or old buildings. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
10 hours ago, Nick L said:

Yes really!!!

Some of us are less fortunate and live in colder flats and houses. And I feel the cold more when daytime temps are below 20. My hands feel cold most of the time.

Posted

It's been a very interesting spring and it feels as though it has swung towards the extremes at times. The cold, coldest Spring day on record by absolute measurement and the St Patrick's Day weekend was very cold, it was -1C at midday at Manchester Airport. 

Then there was the heat, 2nd hottest April in record by absolute measurement.

There was a prolong period of sunlessness during early April, now a prolonged period of sunshine during May. 

For England and Wales, the 8th wettest March on record. Wettest March-April period for England and Wales since 1998.

May is turning increasingly into a very dry month now.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
On 19 May 2018 at 06:50, Weather-history said:

It's been a very interesting spring and it feels as though it has swung towards the extremes at times. The cold, coldest Spring day on record by absolute measurement and the St Patrick's Day weekend was very cold, it was -1C at midday at Manchester Airport. 

Then there was the heat, 2nd hottest April in record by absolute measurement.

There was a prolong period of sunlessness during early April, now a prolonged period of sunshine during May. 

For England and Wales, the 8th wettest March on record. Wettest March-April period for England and Wales since 1998.

May is turning increasingly into a very dry month now.

Yes, strongly agree with this, this season has been utterly fascinating.  From watching the models since 2011, this Spring has been the season I have found most interesting - top of the list.  And for someone who likes extremes of weather for that to be a transitional season rather than Summer or Winter says it all really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i have had no spring this year...went straight from winter into summer...near record breaking heat all this week coming

• Like 2

Posted
On 16/05/2018 at 22:50, Nick L said:

It costs me far more at this time of the year. Trying to get heat out of a house is far more expensive than putting it in,trust me!! 20c or above is far to warm for me in a house,find it very uncomfortable

• Like 2

Posted

Apart from a couple of dross days, May has been lovely here and looks set to continue.

Lets hope it continues right through to October, k thx.

• Like 3

Posted
4 hours ago, markyo said:

It costs me far more at this time of the year. Trying to get heat out of a house is far more expensive than putting it in,trust me!! 20c or above is far to warm for me in a house,find it very uncomfortable

It’s still quite chilly in my flat, even when the temp says 20. We have north facing windows, so we don’t feel the full benefit of the heat. Although, it does mean we stay cooler when the temps outside are very hot. The only time my flat felt like an oven, was during the June and July hot spells of 2017. 

Edited by Sunny76
  • Like 1

Posted

This May reminds me of some hot spells we had during 1985 and 86, where as the summer overall wasn’t great, but a couple of warm spells produced some sunny weather. June 86 was hot I think, and I recall some longer periods of sunny hot weather, or at least one spell during July 85.

And I know both summers were pretty dire. 

Posted
17 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It’s still quite chilly in my flat, even when the temp says 20. We have north facing windows, so we don’t feel the full benefit of the heat. Although, it does mean we stay cooler when the temps outside are very hot. The only time my flat felt like an oven, was during the June and July hot spells of 2017. 

Sounds like my perfect pad!! Would cut down on my aircon bill at home!

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, markyo said:

Never met anyone who has air con in the UK, even people with lots of money. Most don't consider it worthwhile. 

Anyway, here's one downside to warm weather, speaking as someone who loves warm weather - I was cutting one of my hedges this week, and got stung on the face by a bee. Not very nice.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn
1 minute ago, cheese said:

Never met anyone who has air con in the UK, even people with lots of money. Most don't consider it worthwhile. 

Anyway, here's one downside to warm weather, speaking as someone who loves warm weather - I was cutting one of my hedges this week, and got stung on the face by a bee. Not very nice.

Also, my biggest fear, wasps, are out and about

Posted
6 minutes ago, cheese said:

Most don't consider it worthwhile. 

Nearly everybody i work with has aircon at home,you need it in our line of work. Couldn't live without it now,would drive me potty. Most folk do have aircon don't forget.....in their cars!

Edited by markyo

Posted

I don’t have aircon at my place. We just place cold damp clothes over our heads, if it gets too warm, which it rarely does. A cold bowl of water is also another way to cool down. 

Posted
50 minutes ago, markyo said:

Nearly everybody i work with has aircon at home,you need it in our line of work. Couldn't live without it now,would drive me potty. Most folk do have aircon don't forget.....in their cars!

Yes, but cars come with air con anyway.