Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

The cloud and rain have been the real killer this spring, but thankfully the past 20 or so days have been pretty decent. The ground has dried up very quickly and is now rock-solid.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Pretty decent this morning with lots of sunshine, although with a cool wind. 

The ground’s become pretty dry here too - the generally more settled theme of recently has I feel certainly helped!

Edited by DiagonalRedLine

Posted

Up to 106 hours of sunshine here already this May, meaning we've averaged 10.6 hours per day so far.

If we can average 6.9 hours for the remaining 21 days (the norm is around 6.5hrs) then it would be the sunniest month since July 2006.

Edited by reef

Posted

Northern Blocking... oh dear. The main thread will be going into meltdown*... little talk of record breaking temps, for a while!

*wont be the heat causing the melt 

Edited by draztik
  • Like 2

Posted
18 hours ago, cheese said:

The cloud and rain have been the real killer this spring, but thankfully the past 20 or so days have been pretty decent. The ground has dried up very quickly and is now rock-solid.

I've ordered you more rain. It will be arriving soon.

Posted
On 10/05/2018 at 21:52, draztik said:

I've ordered you more rain. It will be arriving soon.

Fortunately, the outlook looks fine and dandy with plenty of dry and usable weather, as is typical for this time of year. Even this weekend which was supposed to be poor has turned out to be quite nice - especially today. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
6 minutes ago, cheese said:

Fortunately, the outlook looks fine and dandy with plenty of dry and usable weather, as is typical for this time of year. Even this weekend which was supposed to be poor has turned out to be quite nice - especially today. 

Absolutely was expecting rain well into this afternoon today it stopped before daybreak and this afternoon has become very pleasant with lengthy spells of sunshine 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Still lots of May left but we might actually achieve a dry May here - something of a rarity in my lifetime, and a welcome change after a wet first half of spring!

Posted

Of the 356 months of May to August periods since 1929 only 23 have broken the 240 hour sunshine mark for England as a whole. Just to put this month into context how good it has been so far for eastern, central and southern areas with more to come in the forecast

Edited by Matthew.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

26c and sunny today with Humidity of 15%..sheer perfection..how often would you see that in the UK?

• Like 2

Posted
On 13/05/2018 at 11:26, Matthew. said:

Theres only 4 May’s since 1929 to record over 240 hours sunshine for England. Could this be the 5th?:)

Edmonton averages 290 hours of sunshine in May which is nearly 9.5hrs/day

• Like 1

Posted

We're on 136hrs of sunshine now just 14 days into May. An average of 6.6hrs of sunshine per day for the remainder of the month will make this the sunniest month since July 2006 and second sunniest month of the last 17 years.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 minutes ago, reef said:

We're on 136hrs of sunshine now just 14 days into May. An average of 6.6hrs of sunshine per day for the remainder of the month will make this the sunniest month since July 2006 and second sunniest month of the last 17 years.

Very nice too. After that ghastly April, barring a few nice days, it feels amazing. Hopefully the start of a trend that reverts the persistently below average sunshine amounts recorded in the warmer months of many recent years. 

• Like 1

Posted

The amount of what I consider summery days are mounting up (I know its still spring officially)  had  5 days in late April. 5 days in early May and 3 days if you add in tomorrow.. I hope this continues to be the scenario for the next few months... 5 days  in a week that's nice and 2 poor days. Rather than in previous years where we have  2/3 decent days a week and rest  dreadful.

Today was such a lovely day. very gentle :D I don't want  30+c  , plenty of more days like today would be satisfactory :)

• Like 1

Posted

Leeming is on 129 hours now, an average of over 8 a day. I suspect it would be a bit higher here (Leeming's about 40 miles north). This month is shaping up to be very nice actually.

And most importantly, it's been largely dry - the ground is basically rock solid now. We're on 16mm half way through the month. Average for May is around 42mm.

Edited by cheese

Posted
2 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

26c and sunny today with Humidity of 15%..sheer perfection..how often would you see that in the UK?

Heatwaves in the UK are usually accompanied by low humidity, though not often as low as 15%. Does happen from time to time.

Edited by cheese

Posted
6 hours ago, cheese said:

Leeming is on 129 hours now, an average of over 8 a day. I suspect it would be a bit higher here (Leeming's about 40 miles north). This month is shaping up to be very nice actually.

And most importantly, it's been largely dry - the ground is basically rock solid now. We're on 16mm half way through the month. Average for May is around 42mm.

The website I’ve looked at said Leeming was on 107 hours to 6pm to the 14 th. where do you receive the 129 data from? Thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
17 hours ago, reef said:

Except in west London where it's probably been the dullest in a century? :D

In all seriousness, May has been a cracking month so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
16 hours ago, weatherguru14 said:

The amount of what I consider summery days are mounting up (I know its still spring officially)  had  5 days in late April. 5 days in early May and 3 days if you add in tomorrow.. I hope this continues to be the scenario for the next few months... 5 days  in a week that's nice and 2 poor days. Rather than in previous years where we have  2/3 decent days a week and rest  dreadful.

Today was such a lovely day. very gentle :D I don't want  30+c  , plenty of more days like today would be satisfactory :)

Yep, 100%! Everyone is happy in this weather.

Posted

weird spring here so far...first half was very cold and snowy..second half has been very warm and sunny so far...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
25 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Except in west London where it's probably been the dullest in a century? :D

In all seriousness, May has been a cracking month so far.

On course for our first sunnier than average May since 2011. If our forecast is correct then we will end up with around 240 hours, which would be the sunniest since 1998.

Hopefully this pattern continues for a well overdue warmer and sunnier than average summer.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, Matthew. said:

The website I’ve looked at said Leeming was on 107 hours to 6pm to the 14 th. where do you receive the 129 data from? Thanks

Ogimet, though I think I accidentally included the last day of April. Oops. 

• Like 1