Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Thankfully cooler today and for the foreseeable,yesterday was just a reminder of how uncomfortable heat can be.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
3 hours ago, Relativistic said:

May I ask where you're getting this statistic from? The only official data I've found for the Leeds area is Church Fenton, which reached 25.4C.

The Church Fenton weather station closed in December 2013 so I'm not sure how that is possible. It doesn't report weather at all anymore. It's my personal weather station (to be more specific it was 26.9, while a weather station at the University of Leeds recorded 27.3).

Church Fenton was typically cooler than Leeds during hot spells anyway. In April 2003, Leeds reached 26.1C while Church Fenton reached 24.7C, which is the same difference between my PWS and whatever weather station you're referring to. If people think London's built-up nature influences the maximum temperatures then the same line of thought must apply to other large UK cities as well.

Edited by cheese

Posted
2 hours ago, MP-R said:

Rather bizarre comment here. Yes, the stats are there for a reason, and they are indeed stats regarding the UK weather. Stats will be created from the weather that is yet to come too. I'd sooner look at stats than go by people's memories, although I feel many on this forum look at their own area and assume it's the case everywhere else.

I'd ignore his posts tbh - nothing good has ever come out of them.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
34 minutes ago, cheese said:

The Church Fenton weather station closed in December 2013 so I'm not sure how that is possible. It doesn't report weather at all anymore. It's my personal weather station (to be more specific it was 26.9, while a weather station at the University of Leeds recorded 27.3).

Church Fenton was typically cooler than Leeds during hot spells anyway. In April 2003, Leeds reached 26.1C while Church Fenton reached 24.7C, which is the same difference between my PWS and whatever weather station you're referring to. If people think London's built-up nature influences the maximum temperatures then the same line of thought must apply to other large UK cities as well.

I see, turns out that you can click on Church Fenton on the Met Office's map of weather stations but it redirects you to Linton-on-Ouse, which is quite a way away from Leeds. That's where the 25.4C was, my mistake.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Another glorious day in London, 26/27 the peak after 29 yesterday. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, markyo said:

Thankfully cooler today and for the foreseeable,yesterday was just a reminder of how uncomfortable heat can be.

Couldn't agree more, been a very pleasant past 6 months upto Wednesday then 3 sleepless nights with a horrid reminder of how uncomfortable high humidity can be, thankfully this kind of heat is very rare for the midlands this early and isn't usually reached until mid June onwards.

May can be the last pleasant month until October, hopefully a northerly dominated May is on the cards. ?? 

• Like 2

Posted

It was 5C this morning here - unbearably sticky and uncomfortable! And yesterday's 20C with glorious blue skies and sunshine was simply far too much! If only it was 7C with rain again, because apparently that's 'pleasant' (to slugs, probably).

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Somerset has been good with unexpected highs early afternoons but otherwise I’d say this has been a period of moderately above average here, rather than the heat the SE has experienced. Basically very nice Spring weather but not summery yet as that slight ‘bight’ remains in the air.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
59 minutes ago, Eugene said:

Couldn't agree more, been a very pleasant past 6 months upto Wednesday then 3 sleepless nights with a horrid reminder of how uncomfortable high humidity can be, thankfully this kind of heat is very rare for the midlands this early and isn't usually reached until mid June onwards.

May can be the last pleasant month until October, hopefully a northerly dominated May is on the cards. ?? 

Oh we can just hope and pray for a Northerly May! Can be a very unpleasant month due to the pollen!..:nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Slack northerlies can be decent for both sunshine and convective potential. I think it was such a northerly that brought a thunderstorm here on the 01st May last year in an otherwise quite dry period. Just no northeasterly or southwesterly greyness please.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

Slack northerlies can be decent for both sunshine and convective potential. I think it was such a northerly that brought a thunderstorm here on the 01st May last year in an otherwise quite dry period. Just no northeasterly or southwesterly greyness please.

No, it was a southeasterly. The first two weeks were dominated by easterlies leaving the south and east rather dull most of the time but very sunny and sometimes warm elsewhere especially up to the north. 

archives-2017-5-1-12-0.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, BruenSryan said:

No, it was a southeasterly. The first two weeks were dominated by easterlies leaving the south and east rather dull most of the time but very sunny and sometimes warm elsewhere especially up to the north. 

archives-2017-5-1-12-0.png

Ah ha yes that's right, the centre of the low was right over this area. It was the week before that brought the northerly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
41 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

such a lovely day today.. pleasantly warm. shame its not gonna last :closedeyes:

yesterday was pleasant, today not so much. lack of a breeze.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
3 hours ago, MP-R said:

Ah ha yes that's right, the centre of the low was right over this area. It was the week before that brought the northerly.

Fittingly I recall that in Exeter there was hail and thunder from that preceding northerly, around 4-5pm on 25 April 2017. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

It's currently 19.8C in St James Park, London 22.8c or higher will make it the hottest London Marathon on record 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Another fantastic day bringing the total number of days in this warm spell to 5. Its hard to believe its only April! And 3 months away from the warmest part of the year so plenty of opportunities for further warmth. After the dire early Spring its much deserved.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Would also like to add that isnt it time the snowy scene was changed at the top of the page to something rather more springlike! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
3 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

It's currently 19.8C in St James Park, London 22.8c or higher will make it the hottest London Marathon on record 

St James's Park, London has hit 23.2c making it hottest London Marathon on record 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Hotter than the surface of the sun according to tabloid press no doubt :rofl:

The two should be equal at approximately T+5.26^10 hours - on the CFS!:good: