Summer Sun

Spring 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Thankfully cooler today and for the foreseeable,yesterday was just a reminder of how uncomfortable heat can be.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Relativistic said:

May I ask where you're getting this statistic from? The only official data I've found for the Leeds area is Church Fenton, which reached 25.4C.

The Church Fenton weather station closed in December 2013 so I'm not sure how that is possible. It doesn't report weather at all anymore. It's my personal weather station (to be more specific it was 26.9, while a weather station at the University of Leeds recorded 27.3).

Church Fenton was typically cooler than Leeds during hot spells anyway. In April 2003, Leeds reached 26.1C while Church Fenton reached 24.7C, which is the same difference between my PWS and whatever weather station you're referring to. If people think London's built-up nature influences the maximum temperatures then the same line of thought must apply to other large UK cities as well.

Edited by cheese

2 hours ago, MP-R said:

Rather bizarre comment here. Yes, the stats are there for a reason, and they are indeed stats regarding the UK weather. Stats will be created from the weather that is yet to come too. I'd sooner look at stats than go by people's memories, although I feel many on this forum look at their own area and assume it's the case everywhere else.

I'd ignore his posts tbh - nothing good has ever come out of them.

Edited by cheese

34 minutes ago, cheese said:

The Church Fenton weather station closed in December 2013 so I'm not sure how that is possible. It doesn't report weather at all anymore. It's my personal weather station (to be more specific it was 26.9, while a weather station at the University of Leeds recorded 27.3).

Church Fenton was typically cooler than Leeds during hot spells anyway. In April 2003, Leeds reached 26.1C while Church Fenton reached 24.7C, which is the same difference between my PWS and whatever weather station you're referring to. If people think London's built-up nature influences the maximum temperatures then the same line of thought must apply to other large UK cities as well.

I see, turns out that you can click on Church Fenton on the Met Office's map of weather stations but it redirects you to Linton-on-Ouse, which is quite a way away from Leeds. That's where the 25.4C was, my mistake.

• Like 1

Another glorious day in London, 26/27 the peak after 29 yesterday. 

• Like 1