• Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Since April 19th we've had

Hottest April day for 70 years
Hottest London marathon on record
Hottest early May bank holiday on record
Hottest early May bank holiday weekend on record

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Easily the best weekend of the year so far. Nice of it to be on a bank holiday for once. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
Just now, matt111 said:

Easily the best weekend of the year so far. Nice of it to be on a bank holiday for once. 

And to think last Monday some parts of the south hardly got above 5c!!

This Monday it is close to 30!

Posted
57 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Yes, and this is even better than the April warm spell. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
2 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

And before that, the coldest March day on record.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
3 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

The only one of those that is of any significance is the first. The other three are simply down to good timing; if the two "hot snaps" had both been a week later we'd only shout about achieving the hottest April day for 70 years, not, for example, "the hottest day to have fallen exactly a week after the early May bank holiday ever".

They're good little factoids, but you've been getting far too excited over them. As I said, the final three are next to meaningless.

Edited by Relativistic
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
53 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

The only one of those that is of any significance is the first. The other three are simply down to good timing; if the two "hot snaps" had both been a week later we'd only shout about achieving the hottest April day for 70 years, not, for example, "the hottest day to have fallen exactly a week after the early May bank holiday ever".

They're good little factoids, but you've been getting far too excited over them. As I said, the final three are next to meaningless.

Just like the coldest or warmest Christmas is all down to good timing. Doesn't mean people can't get excited by it. It's been a miserable long winter - can't you just let Summer Sun have enjoy this?

Edited by cheese
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
15 hours ago, cheese said:

Just like the coldest or warmest Christmas is all down to good timing. Doesn't mean people can't get excited by it. It's been a miserable long winter - can't you just let Summer Sun have enjoy this?

SS is perfectly entitled to enjoy these things, I don't disagree. But you can overcook things. When something is mentioned multiple times before the event, multiple times on the day, and then even weeks after the event has happened, it's been a little over-done, no? (Especially for something as trivial, for example, as the hottest London marathon day on record.)

[Slightly besides my point, but as an aside I imagine people on here would get very excited about the coldest Christmas on record; records for Christmas day go back two and a half centuries and span much of the little ice age, and incidentally, the coldest Christmas CET is outrageously cold (I think perhaps the second coldest day on the entire record), so replicating such an event in the current climate may well be impossible.

For contrast, the first London marathon was in 1981, and similarly, the early May bank holiday was introduced as recently as 1978.]

Edited by Relativistic
  • Like 4

Posted

Yeah, the hottest April day or marathon day was a little overdone. 

The April of 2011 was much warmer, but the marathon day that year may have fallen on a day when the weather happened to be cooler, in between the warmer spells. 

April 2018 was still cold overall, despite the few days of warmth.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Relativistic said:

SS is perfectly entitled to enjoy these things, I don't disagree. But you can overcook things. When something is mentioned multiple times before the event, multiple times on the day, and then even weeks after the event has happened, it's been a little over-done, no? (Especially for something as trivial, for example, as the hottest London marathon day on record.)

[Slightly besides my point, but as an aside I imagine people on here would get very excited about the coldest Christmas on record; records for Christmas day go back two and a half centuries and span much of the little ice age, and incidentally, the coldest Christmas CET is outrageously cold (I think perhaps the second coldest day on the entire record), so replicating such an event in the current climate may well be impossible.

For contrast, the first London marathon was in 1981, and similarly, the early May bank holiday was introduced as recently as 1978.]

True, the London marathon doesn't go back very far which makes it a less interesting statistic but it's certainly still worth mentioning. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Yeah, the hottest April day or marathon day was a little overdone. 

The April of 2011 was much warmer, but the marathon day that year may have fallen on a day when the weather happened to be cooler, in between the warmer spells. 

April 2018 was still cold overall, despite the few days of warmth.

It most certainly wasn't cold. It had a mean of 9.8C, making it the 24th warmest in the CET series. There have only been 6 warmer Aprils since 1949!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

April in London had a mean of 11.7c vs the long term average of 10.0c. That is due to the extreme cloudiness keeping the minima well above average. 

The month had 3 weeks of very cool/below average high temps, offset by that 5 day warm/hot spell. It certainly felt like a cold month most of the time (with the added cloudiness and above avg wind speeds).

Edited by B87
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
On 07/05/2018 at 19:02, B87 said:

And before that, the coldest March day on record.

I don't think anyone  could complain about this spring really, extreme cold, extreme warmth for the time of year. Several days in a row of 0 hours sunshine but just this week my location has had four days of unbroken sunshine on the bounce. Add to that a lot of rain at times as well as some intense storms after the warm spell in April.

One thing this Spring can't be called is boring. Ironically all of these factoids may end up balancing out on paper to given an average spring in most elements.

• Like 4

Posted

This was my 11th April of recording data (2008-2018). At this location 2018 was the 2nd warmest for average temp (+1.7C above the 1981-2010 average), the warmest for mean minima, and 'only' 5th warmest for mean maxima.

Despite that, the 14.0C mean maxima was still nearly 1C above the 1981-2010 average.

Yes much of that was due to the warm few days, although most months have warmth balancing cold to a greater or lesser degree.. anyway I'd prefer what we had to constant 14C maxima all month.

The Met Office maps do show that it wasn't 'that' warm maxima wise, with minima being the more notable thing.
2018_4_MaxTemp_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif 2018_4_MinTemp_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, Captain Shortwave said:

I don't think anyone  could complain about this spring really, extreme cold, extreme warmth for the time of year. Several days in a row of 0 hours sunshine but just this week my location has had four days of unbroken sunshine on the bounce. Add to that a lot of rain at times as well as some intense storms after the warm spell in April.

One thing this Spring can't be called is boring. Ironically all of these factoids may end up balancing out on paper to given an average spring in most elements.

It's been like a continental Spring. Some pretty big extremes for sure.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

It's been continental in a very British fashion - cloudily! March was dull and April scraped 100 hours of sunshine, very much helped by the warm spell. From the 07th to the 13th there was no sun at all!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

The warm spell is still going in the east. Now into the 7th day. It feels just as pleasant today as it has done for the past 6. Albeit not quite so warm. Still we have predicted highs of 18c here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Been an reasonable Spring overall (albeit still with the rest of this month to go). I’ve liked the up and down nature of cold and hot spells - the chilly and snowy weather at the start making it feel like Winter, and the hot and sunny weather of late April and May Bank Holiday making it feel like Summer.

Do nevertheless feel like that the general coolness of things (excluding those two very warm spells) and the fact that cloudy weather has invaded most days of the season has let it down a little. A little less cloudiness and a little less coolness during the first half of the season (except for the snow, which I like), this Spring, to me, would have been one of the best ever, here. Naturally, I clearly expect Spring to generally start off cool and finish off on a warmer note. But considering the variations that can be experienced it may not always go quite like that, or rather the progression from a cooler start to a warmer end of the season could go unsmoothly. 

For a Spring, it really does feel like one where all the seasons in one have been experienced! 

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 2