Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
4 minutes ago, Ice Man 85 said:

No weather stations give a reliable reading for skem. Must be knocking on for 23 though.

https://freemeteo.co.uk/weather/skelmersdale/current-weather/location/?gid=2637752&station=1349&language=english&country=united-kingdom

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
1 minute ago, markyo said:

I'd go a little higher than that. Liverpool is always cooler, whilst manchester gets warmer. We're usually somewhere in between.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Up to 22.5°C here earlier which is easily the warmest day of the year so far. The sea breeze has kicked in now and it’s dropped to 16°C, shows how much of an impact it can have. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
6 hours ago, cheese said:

27C here. This easily beats April 2003 and I think you'd have to go back many decades to find an earlier 80F day.

Amazing what a few miles makes,feels hot here but a lowly 21 deg ,6 degrees cooler than Leeds !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
9 hours ago, B87 said:

Has there ever been a year where a location has set a monthly record low and then a monthly record high in the same year? 

There's a chance it could happen by the end of today.

1965 A month with some very interesting extremes. In contrast to the high maxima at the end of the month, a very low temperature of -21.7C was recorded in the same month at Corwen (Clwyd) on the 3rd, during a cold and snowy beginning to the month. This was the coldest day of the year - and an interestingly late date for this. We had to wait until 2001 for a lower temperature in March. The month began with cold NE winds, with some snow. It cleard on the night of the 2-3rd to give the low minima. There was then a notable blizzard in southern England on the 3-4th. It snowed for almost 24 hours at Heathrow, and there were over 20 cm of level snow on the Hampshire Downs and Salisbury Plain, and 35 cm in central Wales. There was deep snow and traffic disruption in north Wales and on Anglesey. There was even 10 cm on the Hampshire coast, although I don't remember this at all. There were 60 cm drifts in the centre of Birmingham. There was widespread traffic disruption. Then close to the equal highest maximum for a March day was set on the 29th: 25.0C at Wakefield and Whitby (although this record is more suspect than the 1968 one). At Whitby it was the hottest day of the whole year - this is the earliest date for the hottest day of the year at any location in the country. Wakefield is obviously the place to be in March. Strachan (Kincardinshire) saw the equal hottest March day (until 2012) of 22.2C. There were also some interesting extremes within 24 hours during this "heatwave": in East Anglia there was a range of 28C between frost at daybreak and the afternoon maximum. The possibility of such range in such a short time is one of the things that makes this time of year so interesting. The strength of the March sun played an important role in this heatwave, rather than the source of the air (hence the large diurnal variation.) The month had a sunny first half, but it was very dull from the 15th to the 21st, with only 2 hours of sunshine at Bracknell. It cleared on the 27th as pressure built, giving a sunny end to the month, with those very high maxima             Not quite what you are looking for but this is a transcript from Britweather for March 1965

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

1965 looked like it had an absolutely disgusting summer. Well below average temperatures and sunshine, with above average rainfall! Data for London Heathrow.

June: 19.7c/11.0c, 54.6mm rain, 184.7 sun hours

July: 19.3c/11.7c, 85.9mm rain, 129.9 sun hours (this is the coolest and cloudiest July on record)

August: 20.8c/11.9c, 55.9mm rain, 184.7 sun hours

Posted
5 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

St James's Park, London 29.1C

London over time will break all heat records, the continuation of build build build , more concrete and tarmac , more traffic and pollution, a further reduction of green areas, will cause this.

That's lovely for those that enjoy heat, humidity, and above all dangerously poisonous air quality.

Or course those looking from Darlington or west Yorkshire will say how great it is ......:crazy:

Is it all about 'likes' ?  ............:(

• Like 1

Just check out this screenshot I captured on my phone:

So does that mean we officially have a new record for April? Still I find that quite hard to believe, given around 2 pm I checked all the typical hotspots in and around Europe (or those that tend to have extreme temperatures whenever we have a heatwave in western Europe) and none of them were registering 30C or over, and I don't think there has ever been a time when any place in the UK has been the hottest in Europe.

EDIT: It's not showing for some reason. You'll just have to take my word for it that at 15:27 on my iPhone Weather app, 30C in Wembley was recorded.

Edited by Simo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
7 minutes ago, Simo said:

Just check out this screenshot I captured on my phone:

So does that mean we officially have a new record for April? Still I find that quite hard to believe, given around 2 pm I checked all the typical hotspots in and around Europe (or those that tend to have extreme temperatures whenever we have a heatwave in western Europe) and none of them were registering 30C or over, and I don't think there has ever been a time when any place in the UK has been the hottest in Europe.

EDIT: It's not showing for some reason. You'll just have to take my word for it that at 15:27 on my iPhone Weather app, 30C in Wembley was recorded.

Official high today is 29.1c as in met office stations the record is 29.4c 

No doubt some local stations will have touched 30c but they won't be protected from the sunshine so false data will display

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
40 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Official high today is 29.1c as in met office stations the record is 29.4c 

Yep. Not too shabby for April, is it? :)

2018-04-20.thumb.png.d18f6673285a58975f57d0873ecdcaba.png

I managed 26.7°C here, perfect set up for it too. That's the highest April temp I have recorded in 8 years worth of data.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, DAVID SNOW said:

London over time will break all heat records, the continuation of build build build , more concrete and tarmac , more traffic and pollution, a further reduction of green areas, will cause this.

That's lovely for those that enjoy heat, humidity, and above all dangerously poisonous air quality.

Or course those looking from Darlington or west Yorkshire will say how great it is ......:crazy:

I live in a city that has one of the highest air pollution levels in Western Europe, and one of the top 3 in the UK. Dangerous air quality isn't unique to London. And it was 27C today, only 2C cooler than London, and I thought it was absolutely lovely. No complaints from me at all. 

And air quality has little to do with heat - on clear, calm, frosty winter mornings, you will often see a brown haze sitting over Leeds.

Some people on here don't half talk rubbish sometimes. We get it - you don't like heat. No need to witter on about it like a broken record. The rest of us have had to put up with months of cool, wet weather so forgive me if I have no sympathy for your plight. In fact, if you hate heat then few countries in the world are better than the UK. By global standards, London's summers are cool and cloudy. Even by European standards they are very lacklustre - yet the way some people on here go on about them you'd think London was the new Miami or something. :rolleyes:

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
54 minutes ago, cheese said:

I live in a city that has one of the highest air pollution levels in Western Europe, and one of the top 3 in the UK. Dangerous air quality isn't unique to London. And it was 27C today, only 2C cooler than London, and I thought it was absolutely lovely. No complaints from me at all. 

And air quality has little to do with heat - on clear, calm, frosty winter mornings, you will often see a brown haze sitting over Leeds.

Some people on here don't half talk rubbish sometimes. We get it - you don't like heat. No need to witter on about it like a broken record. The rest of us have had to put up with months of cool, wet weather so forgive me if I have no sympathy for your plight. In fact, if you hate heat then few countries in the world are better than the UK. By global standards, London's summers are cool and cloudy. Even by European standards they are very lacklustre - yet the way some people on here go on about them you'd think London was the new Miami or something. :rolleyes:

Like it or not, that is the normal UK climate. Funny you mention miami though; I have holidayed in florida in the peak of their "summer" (theme parks were worth it) and the level of humidity is excruciating. Any "warmth" we get is usually sourced from Iberia and laced with humidity also. simply serves to rub salt in the wound, nothing more.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
8 hours ago, cheese said:

May I ask where you're getting this statistic from? The only official data I've found for the Leeds area is Church Fenton, which reached 25.4C.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
10 hours ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Of all the hot spells in recent years I can only remember a couple where the highest temperatures were outside London; there was the 34.4C that was recorded in Gravesend on 13th September 2016, and going back a bit further I think 34C was recorded in Oxfordshire on 1st August 2013. Perhaps my memory is failing me though.

If we replaced April 1949 London by modern-day London, surely the mercury would have hit 30C?

Edited by Relativistic
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

A glorious 2 days of sunshine and warmth in my neck of the woods. Might squeeze another 2-3 days of warm sunshine in and then some thunderstorms hopefully, before the more usual Atlantic crap moves through. It’s partially making up for the weeks of utter hideousness that we endured beforehand and I hope that this Spring and Summer see many more spells of sunshine and warmth.

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
8 hours ago, Ice Man 85 said:

Like it or not, that is the normal UK climate. 

No it isn't. We just had a cold February (though it was sunnier than average), then a very cold and wet March with close to record levels of cloud. Followed up by a first half of April that is completely unparalleled in terms of lack of sun. We've had the coldest spring day on record, and now the 2nd warmest April day on record.

There has been nothing normal about this spring so far, though Monday onwards looks to be normal for the time of year (15-17c temps with partly cloudy skies).

It does remind me of 1949 looking at the spring of that year.

Posted
18 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

going back a bit further I think 34C was recorded in Oxfordshire on 1st August 2013. Perhaps my memory is failing me though

Heathrow had 34.1c on that date.

• Thanks 1

Posted

B87 always looks at stats over all. And doesn't take into consideration its the uk weather. and basically we don't know what we will get from day today.We can have all the  the long  forecasts   for the summer or even rhis May. and no one as clue what will happen.

Just because February was colder doesn't mean its meant to be warmer. It just means we had a cold February this year. Our climate it not expected to act the way we want it to..

Posted
9 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

B87 always looks at stats over all. And doesn't take into consideration its the uk weather. and basically we don't know what we will get from day today.We can have all the  the long  forecasts   for the summer or even rhis May. and no one as clue what will happen.

Just because February was colder doesn't mean its meant to be warmer. It just means we had a cold February this year. Our climate it not expected to act the way we want it to..

But stats tell you what the climate tends to be like at x time of year. Otherwise you could say that this April warm/hot spell is just a warm or hot spell, and it isn't 'meant to be' cooler. These temps have happened in April before in 1949. The start of March here gave 2 ice days in a row and the record lowest March temperature (March had never seen an ice day so to get 2 in a row is unprecedented, followed up with a -5.1c min).

Looking at the stats you could say you expect a typical April to have highs between 10-22c, with most of those falling in the 13-16c range.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
47 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

Rather bizarre comment here. Yes, the stats are there for a reason, and they are indeed stats regarding the UK weather. Stats will be created from the weather that is yet to come too. I'd sooner look at stats than go by people's memories, although I feel many on this forum look at their own area and assume it's the case everywhere else.

10 hours ago, cheese said:

By global standards, London's summers are cool and cloudy. Even by European standards they are very lacklustre - yet the way some people on here go on about them you'd think London was the new Miami or something. :rolleyes:

Very much depends on what part of Europe you're comparing them to. London's summers temperature-wise are pretty similar the majority of years to Berlin, Warsaw, Prague and Moscow, with maybe marginally less sunshine, very similar to Paris only a couple of degrees cooler and with actually less rain, and on average 2-4 degrees cooler than much of western and central Europe north of Italy. I wouldn't call that "very lackluster" in comparison.

Obviously if you're comparing them to those of southern France, the Iberian Penninsula, Italy and the Balkans, then your point is valid.

Edited by Simo
  • Like 1

Posted

Not a bizarre comment  in the sense you can look at the stats for an 100 years over 1 particular month  of a year.. But it doesn't mean you expect that certain stat to happen over all in a particular month of any year.. You can say well  we expect this temperature and this amount of  sun. Because of data over the last few decades (I get that) But expecting it to happen  and it happening  in a month you want it doesn't mean it will. so throwing up information  of how its been like for the last 2 decades is pointless. when it comes to the UK weather.. 2006 was an hot summer 2007 was dire.. Now which one will be closer this year?. put that in your weather stat computer and come up with an answer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Another scorcher in London. Temperatures already hitting 25c. Highs of 27c/28c likely