Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

The trees are still completely bare here, probably due to the cool March and recent lack of sunshine. Last time we got to mid-April with trees completely bare was 2013, which stayed like that into the beginning of May at my then location. Won't get that far this time round though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Very different from yesterday, chilly and grey but I'm going swimming indoors this afternoon so not too bothered (I can show off the reddish pre-tan I got yesterday :D).  I do hope the forecast warm weather really does materialise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
6 hours ago, Relativistic said:

The trees are still completely bare here, probably due to the cool March and recent lack of sunshine. Last time we got to mid-April with trees completely bare was 2013, which stayed like that into the beginning of May at my then location. Won't get that far this time round though.

Yeah, the upcoming warm and sunny weather should really help with the leafing process. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
7 hours ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Very different from yesterday, chilly and grey but I'm going swimming indoors this afternoon so not too bothered (I can show off the reddish pre-tan I got yesterday :D).  I do hope the forecast warm weather really does materialise.

Anything that's red isn't a tan, you're just increasing your risk of melanoma.

Posted
3 hours ago, CreweCold said:

At 68 and after 50-odd years' sunbathing I don't really think I need to be concerned about the risk of melanoma.  I turn red before I develop a tan but I don't burn, and that's the critical concern.  I don't even have any moles.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
4 hours ago, CreweCold said:

To be fair, tanning isn't exactly good for you either!

Posted

And talking of things that aren't good for you, I intend on spending the majority of Thursday in a beer garden, looking glorious.

Posted
17 minutes ago, Nick L said:

It can be if done in moderation. Sunbeds are not a good idea as their spectrum has has little resemblance to natural sunlight.  I resent being lectured over my health by those much younger.  If I've made it to 68 without serious mishap (other than a congenital heart defect) I must be doing something right.  Exposure to sunlight has been found to be beneficial to heart health and as I have a buggered heart I'll follow that advice.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

It can be if done in moderation. Sunbeds are not a good idea as their spectrum has has little resemblance to natural sunlight.  I resent being lectured over my health by those much younger.  If I've made it to 68 without serious mishap (other than a congenital heart defect) I must be doing something right.  Exposure to sunlight has been found to be beneficial to heart health and as I have a buggered heart I'll follow that advice.

Oh no I agree, I cannot stand those who get all high and mighty for having a "healthy lifestyle".

I'm lucky in a way that I never tan, only burn, so never get complacent with the sun from March to September and slap on the sun screen.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

Tanning isn’t something I really do I just try get out there more, sunbeds are a massive no would discourage all. I tan fairly easily still have residual colour from last year, my mum is sheet white my dad olive skinned think I know where I got it from. Long exposure I think pros outweigh cons, so many people in this country have deficiencies in vitamin D soak it up, best source although do slap that sunscreen. I think folk underestimate the strength of sun around this time of year, we can see moderate to high UV levels by mid-late April, comparable to August right now, 2 months till longest day this year is speeding along..

Edited by Daniel*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

I think what we can can all agree on is Vitamin D3 is very important for our health and in reality we don't get enough sun in this country to benefit our health. Being a long way north doesn't help as the the further north (and south) you go from the equator the weaker the sun is so you generate less D3.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Too cold for sunbathing today, also quite cloudy now however trees and shrubs are now putting on a spurt with buds preparing to open.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Like a typical summer forecast from Tuesday onwards.

sajmEpE.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i thought it had been cold ..but this proves global warming isn't all it cracked up to be..Edmonton has just broken a cold weather record.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/historic-stretch-of-cold-weather-achieved-in-edmonton-alberta-below-seasonal-conditions-continue/99294

This spring has been horrible.

Posted

Trees are finally magically sprouting leaves all at once. It's about time, this winter has been far too long.

Desperately hoping for a decent and long-lasting UK summer for a change, the last few have been pretty meh.

Posted
54 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i thought it had been cold ..but this proves global warming isn't all it cracked up to be..Edmonton has just broken a cold weather record.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/historic-stretch-of-cold-weather-achieved-in-edmonton-alberta-below-seasonal-conditions-continue/99294

This spring has been horrible.

"It's cold in my back garden therefore I know more than the experts!!!"

:fool:

Posted
1 hour ago, ManiaMuse said:

Trees are finally magically sprouting leaves all at once. It's about time, this winter has been far too long.

Desperately hoping for a decent and long-lasting UK summer for a change, the last few have been pretty meh.

Yeah, not a distant one since 2014, although last June and first half of July wasn’t too bad, if you were in the South east that is. 

This winter probably made up for all the moaning since the 2013/14 period. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
17 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yeah, not a distant one since 2014, although last June and first half of July wasn’t too bad, if you were in the South east that is. 

This winter probably made up for all the moaning since the 2013/14 period. 

Last summer started very well, but London had below average temperatures every day between 19th July and 14th August.

June was like an average July. July had average temps but was cloudy, and then August was cool and cloudy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
39 minutes ago, Nick L said:

"It's cold in my back garden therefore I know more than the experts!!!"

:fool:

Bit more than cold in my back garden? The longest cold run in the historical records is something worth mentioning..and anyway this is from the weather network not me...but then according to some "experts" the arctic should be ice free in the summer by now.

Posted
10 minutes ago, B87 said:

Last summer started very well, but London had below average temperatures every day between 19th July and 14th August.

June was like an average July. July had average temps but was cloudy, and then August was cool and cloudy.

I meant to say decent, not distant lol.

July 18th was probably the last hot day of last summer, part from the late August bank holiday. Think it was about 30 degrees on the 18th, before the storms hit, then cooled right down and never fully recovered. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I meant to say decent, not distant lol.

July 18th was probably the last hot day of last summer, part from the late August bank holiday. Think it was about 30 degrees on the 18th, before the storms hit, then cooled right down and never fully recovered. 

Agree, last summer started pretty well. Around Wimbledon it was positively hot I remember? Especially in the SE.

But after that everything went downhill, July and August were just so cloudy and cool up here with plenty of rainfall to boot. We didn't get anything remotely like an Indian Summer either, we just went straight into Autumn in September which is probably why this winter seems to have dragged on for so long.

Posted
36 minutes ago, ManiaMuse said:

Agree, last summer started pretty well. Around Wimbledon it was positively hot I remember? Especially in the SE.

But after that everything went downhill, July and August were just so cloudy and cool up here with plenty of rainfall to boot. We didn't get anything remotely like an Indian Summer either, we just went straight into Autumn in September which is probably why this winter seems to have dragged on for so long.

September was pretty average, but October was extremely warm, especially mid-month when Hurricane Ophelia dragged in very warm uppers. We recorded 20.8C on the 16th October, the latest day in the year to do so.

Ironically, despite all the calls of a long winter, with us potentially reaching 20C this week its actually one of the shortest periods between last and first 20C days on record. Ill have to check, but I imagine only 2011-2012 beats it. 

Edited by reef