Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2018 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The last time we had a cold March similar to this year was 2013 what followed in the summer was the driest since 2003 and sunniest since 2006

We also had a prolonged heatwave from July 3rd to 22nd with 30c or more recorded every day from the 13th to 19th

Going further back March 2006 was also a cold month June and July that year were very warm to hot followed by a cooler August

Be interesting to see what this summer does and if the cold March then warm to hot summer follows

• Like 2

It seems the last few times we've had an early Easter, we've also had a cold/cooler than normal early Spring. Along with this year, you can say that for 2016, 2013 and 2008. What were 2005, 2002 and 97 like?

Likewise, more or less the last few times Easter has been late, the April has been warm or hot; 2017, 2014, 2011 and 2003. I haven't included April 2006 in this list, what was this one like? Vague memories seem to recall it was quite wet and showery but I can't remember the temperatures. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The springs of 1997 and 2002 both had predominantly dry and warm weather in March and April.  March 2002 was cloudy in the south-west but sunny elsewhere, while the other three months tended to be cloudy in the north-west but sunny elsewhere.  The respective Mays had much closer to average temperatures and rainfall but different characters.  May 1997 was a notably varied month with warm/hot sunshine early and late, snowfalls on the 6th/7th and frequent convective activity in the middle fortnight, and a particularly sunny last week ensured that most places also came out significantly sunnier than average.

Spring 2005 saw a cold first half of March followed by a very warm (albeit dull) second half.  April was slightly warmer than average, wet but fairly sunny for most, while May had warm spells early and late but chilly northerlies and frosts in the middle fortnight, overall coming out sunny with near average temperatures and rainfall.

April 2006 started off cold, bright and showery with snow for some, then after the 10th most places were predominantly dry and quite sunny with temperatures near or slightly above the seasonal average.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
3 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

The last time we had a cold March similar to this year was 2013 what followed in the summer was the driest since 2003 and sunniest since 2006

We also had a prolonged heatwave from July 3rd to 22nd with 30c or more recorded every day from the 13th to 19th

Going further back March 2006 was also a cold month June and July that year were very warm to hot followed by a cooler August

Be interesting to see what this summer does and if the cold March then warm to hot summer follows

Wishful thinking, I don't think there is a link. The three Marches of 1985-87 were on the chilly to cold side and the three following summers were mediocre as was 1980.

• Like 4

Posted

Snowing again today and struggling to get above zero. Should be the last of it though as it gradually gets warmer during the week.

Had 15-20cm last year on 19th April so I'm not saying goodbye to winter just yet.

Posted

12:10 and temps in the UK have recovered compared to yesterday but still below average large parts of mainland Europe along with the Scandi regions remain around or below zero

0092d10b-55ab-44d9-b095-57b7631192a7.thumb.png.d69fa5f9080b7d662f52adb96bfc1514.png

Posted

Slowest start to Spring I can remember for quite some time. I'm used to seeing the daffodils out in late Jan, but now its late March and they still aren't flowering. Depressing.

• Like 1

Posted

Will cold conditions return?

"Met Office long-range forecasting expert Jeff Knight said: “It is too early to say exactly what weather we will get at Easter, but long-range forecasts show a greater than usual chance of cold spells over Easter and into April. Northerly or easterly winds will need to compete with the increasingly strong spring sunshine and longer days, however. So, it is unlikely that any cold spells will be as severe as those recently. If the cold does return, snow is unlikely to be as disruptive as recent events in southern Britain.”

https://blog.metoffice.gov.uk/2018/03/21/will-cold-conditions-return/

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
On 3/18/2018 at 16:59, Summer Sun said:

As i have mentioned before, there is no strong statistical link between warm March's producing warm summers nor warm April's producing cold ones. The March and April's of 2003 and 2006 for example could not have been more different (though the May-July periods were not disimilar) and yet the summers were bountiful. 

The only statistic i have been able to find to demonstrate even something to cling on to is that something like 80% of 18C+ summer months have occured with +ENSO conditions albeit they are a small part of all +ENSO summer months. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Despite the severity of the two Beasts from the East this month, this has only been the coldest start to meteorological spring since 2013.  That March was the coldest for over 50 years over much of the country.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
10 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Stunning day again brilliant start to British Summer Time

29064668_2188518904498201_1708945473416246858_o.thumb.jpg.d7fa7254c14666bb9568808fb49a9f88.jpg

All down hill tomorrow unfortunately.. I could cry looking at the forecast, it really is an absolute joke! This is turning out to be a dreadful spring with no redeeming features whatsoever. I am seriously tempted to book a holiday just to get away.:wallbash:

Edited by cheese

Posted
4 minutes ago, cheese said:

All down hill tomorrow unfortunately.. I could cry looking at the forecast, it really is an absolute joke! This is turning out to be a dreadful spring with no redeeming features whatsoever. I am seriously tempted to book a holiday just to get away.:wallbash:

Might need to go a long way if you do SE Europe looks the best spot for heat

Posted
23 hours ago, cheese said:

Its the 27th March! For all we know it could be warm, dry and sunny for the rest of the spring after the first week in April.

Its worth remembering though that four of the six warmest springs in the CET series have occurred since 2007 (2007, 2011, 2014 and 2017), so expectations are probably unrealistically high.

Its been a great month if you like snow though (not here however).

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Yes 2 beasts from the east and not much snow here either, inch or two. Members further west often complain that easterlies do not produce the goods where they are, but they have done a lot better than in the east with this last lot, to coin a phrase west has indeed been best.  

Hoping for some warmth now in April....but we shall see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

I enjoy cold and snowy weather as much as anyone - as long as it's in December, January or February..  I can't understand any enthusiasm for cold weather to persist into April and I have no desire to see snow at this time of year.  What I want to see now is bright, warm sunny days with temperatures rising into double figures.  Also, let's see the rainfall levels going down a bit and the Jetstream moving above northern Scotland again.  Summer in the UK is all too short as it is and it would nice to have some warm settled weather to look forward to - October will be round again before you know it.  Sadly, the trend is for the UK to remain on the cold side of the jet well into April so there's not much chance of getting a heatwave anytime soon....    OK - that's my moan over.  It's 4.3C outside and steady drizzle at the moment, so things can only get better, right?

edit - just gone down to 4.1C so things are getting worse. :wallbash:

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

I enjoy cold and snowy weather as much as anyone - as long as it's in December, January or February..  I can't understand any enthusiasm for cold weather to persist into April and I have no desire to see snow at this time of year.  What I want to see now is bright, warm sunny days with temperatures rising into double figures.  Also, let's see the rainfall levels going down a bit and the Jetstream moving above northern Scotland again.  Summer in the UK is all too short as it is and it would nice to have some warm settled weather to look forward to - October will be round again before you know it.  Sadly, the trend is for the UK to remain on the cold side of the jet well into April so there's not much chance of getting a heatwave anytime soon....    OK - that's my moan over.  It's 4.3C outside and steady drizzle at the moment, so things can only get better, right?

edit - just gone down to 4.1C so things are getting worse. :wallbash:

Yep, I'm a Coldie from Oct to Feb. But I want my Spring warmth now! Can't believe some are still looking for snow for Easter!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

To be fair, things improved during the day and we ended up with a bright, sunny Spring-like day here, but we still only managed to get to 7.0C - it really felt cold unless you could get out of the breeze.  In sheltered spots, though, you could definitely feel the strength of the sun and if we can only lose the cold air which all over us at the moment then Spring can really get going.  But if things haven't improved by the end of April, Easyjet will have to find me a cheap seat to Spain for a week!  8)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms
21 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

March was a cold month quite widely across Europe

ANOM2m_CFSR_GFS_1803_monthly_europe.thumb.png.0e2b36de58a9e1ce6677015823d5a4ff.png

Which makes the outlook all the more pleasing. Temperatures could hit the low 20s across large parts of Europe towards the end of the week. More like mid teens for us but after the dreadful March im not complaining.

• Like 2