Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Georgina - Atlantic Storm 7

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
57 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

That squall line on the radar is impressive.Expecct temps will fall away rapidly after it passes through.Currently 13.2C

Temperatures ahead of the cold front 12-13C across southern and eastern England. behind the front dropping to 6-8C across Wales and N England currently. 

temp_uk.thumb.png.f1bd39293c0580a43699acbd22d0f519.png

Winds are gusting 40-50mph widely inland ahead of the cold front, 50-60mph with exposure.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
1 hour ago, Nick F said:

Met Eireann named Georgina first and not UK Met Office, yet all the gusts in Ireland have been below 70 mph and winds are now easing here, and these gusts mostly exposed over headlands/ coastal locations in the west - where there's probably not many people, certainly not at night when the strongest winds went through. Top gusts of 67mph at Malin Head, 65mph at Belmullet.

Yet on mainland UK gusts of 83mph at Capel Curig and 74mph at Aberdaron in Wales - yet not even a yellow warning in this area. Makes you wonder whether this system of naming and releasing warnings is always fit for purpose!

Centre of Georgina must be not far west of Western Isles now, 79mph gust at Benbecula, looks deeper, 959mb, than I think models suggested yesterday

fax00_06z.thumb.png.5d7b8c8ed1d21de3f5883e55f7f73cbf.png

After last week's fiasco when an unnmed storm whistled through causing damage and disruption,the whole naming system seems flawed to me,the joint enterprise with the Irish met should work,however they seem to have different perimiters for naming storms.The Irish have strong warnings for lesser impacts than mainland UK.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I'm pretty sure the Met Office have just given up on the whole storm naming thing.

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I'm pretty sure the Met Office have just given up on the whole storm naming thing.

Which is fine but the lack of warnings today and last week (in fact removing an existing warning just to issue another one AFTER the storm has arrived and already caused damage) is an entirely different kettle of fish. Not quite sure what is going on in Exeter.

Posted
21 minutes ago, Nick L said:

It seemed like a good idea to have a name for a social media hashtag but in reality it has been trashed by the tabloids and thoroughly confused people! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Pretty fun morning here with very gusty winds.

Many gusts in the 30s mph and there may have been higher in more exposed spots in the garden.

Very squally rain just passed as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

The winds have calmed down a lot from 33 mph gusts down to 5.7 mph from a Southerly direction. There have been heavy showers of rain.  The temperature has gone down from 13 °C  to 8.5 °C .

Posted

Met Éireann have criteria for their warnings. Once gusts of 120kph/75mph are predicted that meets the start of their Orange warning criteria. It doesn't matter which part of the county it hits. While the Met office would have a yellow warning for this in NW Scotland where if it were the hit London City they'd have orange or red for 75mph gusts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Looks like we peaked at 45mph right before the squall came through.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms
7 hours ago, seb said:

Which is fine but the lack of warnings today and last week (in fact removing an existing warning just to issue another one AFTER the storm has arrived and already caused damage) is an entirely different kettle of fish. Not quite sure what is going on in Exeter.

Just like any other company  when you lose a big contract  (and a lot of money) it's usually the beginning of a  slippery slope .

When things like this  happen bad luck seems to follow .like maybe a flood or a fire breaks out? 

I hope they have a good insurance policy.  Certainly over the last couple of weeks the met office haven't covered themselves in glory

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Watching the local news, mature trees uprooted, power cuts, landslides and flooding this morning. How the Met office didn’t issue at least a yellow warning for this I don’t know! Storm naming and warnings have been abysmal over the last few weeks. 

Edited by DisruptiveGust
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, DisruptiveGust said:

Watching the local news, mature trees uprooted, power cuts, landslides and flooding this morning. How the Met office didn’t issue at least a yellow warning for this I don’t know! Storm naming and warnings have been abysmal over the last few weeks. 

I totally agree! They seem to have dropped the ball recently with regard to these potent wind events.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Certainly comparable to storm Eleanor a few weeks ago and we had an amber warning for that event! 

3885A547-08EA-4234-9AE6-480DEBD8FDB8.png

Posted
2 hours ago, Sneachtastorm said:

Met Éireann have criteria for their warnings. Once gusts of 120kph/75mph are predicted that meets the start of their Orange warning criteria. It doesn't matter which part of the county it hits. While the Met office would have a yellow warning for this in NW Scotland where if it were the hit London City they'd have orange or red for 75mph gusts.

We had 70 mph gusts in London with Eleanor. I think we only had a yellow warning for that.

Posted
1 hour ago, DisruptiveGust said:

Think the 'storm with no name's caused as much disruption round here but we did get a yellow warning. No warning for us in the south last night despite wind gusts predicted at 50 + mph inland

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Nothing of note here max gust 49mph.

Posted

Fully agree with all of the above. We had gusts of 60mph in SE Kent, trees down, fences down, even Medway had tress down with some major roads blocked.

Not sure I agree with the MetOffice being a company having lost a major contract though. It's still a government service, albeit with commercial targets. Severe Weather Warnings should be the main remit and twice in a week they have dropped the ball. This is even worse when considering that a number of private weather services did issue the correct warnings. 

What makes me really angry is the TV and radio forecasts where you have either meteorologists or presenters stating that "it's going to be a windy day with gusts up to 70mph" as if it's nothing just because there is no MetO warning whereas the second there is a warning they act as if the end of the world is upon us.

Edited by seb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
3 hours ago, seb said:

Fully agree with all of the above. We had gusts of 60mph in SE Kent, trees down, fences down, even Medway had tress down with some major roads blocked.

Not sure I agree with the MetOffice being a company having lost a major contract though. It's still a government service, albeit with commercial targets. Severe Weather Warnings should be the main remit and twice in a week they have dropped the ball. This is even worse when considering that a number of private weather services did issue the correct warnings. 

What makes me really angry is the TV and radio forecasts where you have either meteorologists or presenters stating that "it's going to be a windy day with gusts up to 70mph" as if it's nothing just because there is no MetO warning whereas the second there is a warning they act as if the end of the world is upon us.

Fully agree with the last paragraph. This is why it's important IMO for TV forecasters to have a good knowledge of meteorology. Unfortunately there's an increasing tendency for presenters to be picked on appearance and "TV friendliness". Can you imagine the likes of the late, great Ian McCaskill ever doing TV forecasts again? Because I can't. 

The worst I saw for this was during the sweltering December 2015. Our local BBC presenter described minimum temperatures of 16c as "fairly mild". Clueless. 

• Like 1

Posted

With the last storm we had it wasn't named by the MetO because it hit at night and thus the impacts were limited, would this mean that had storm-naming began in 1987 the 'great storm' would have also remained nameless due to it hitting at night. So many variables with naming these low's that imo the naming should go out the system and adopt a numerology approach with a secondary category that can be amended based on real-time data. Something like 18.01L (year, storm number, impact likelihood). So for Georgina it would have been categorized as 18.07M. 

Edited by SNOW_JOKE

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

My fence needs repairing thanks to Georgina. We will await Meteogroup data on BBC forecasts with Met Office warnings, never mind the MetEireann/MO collaboration about Storm names

2401georginaSATnasa.png

Posted
3 hours ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

With the last storm we had it wasn't named by the MetO because it hit at night and thus the impacts were limited, would this mean that had storm-naming began in 1987 the 'great storm' would have also remained nameless due to it hitting at night. So many variables with naming these low's that imo the naming should go out the system and adopt a numerology approach with a secondary category that can be amended based on real-time data. Something like 18.01L (year, storm number, impact likelihood). So for Georgina it would have been categorized as 18.07M. 

I'm not sure that is true? Warnings based on a daytime or nightime event....

I'm sure the long distance truck driver,Postman etc would be made up to hear that rationale when they  plough into a fallen tree!