Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.
19 minutes ago, warmintim said:

Random - just had a military chinook low flying over the University... Something going on I need to know about?

Had one of those flying low over Weston the other day, did a few passes overhead. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Surprised a state of emergency hasn't been declared in the SE for the 0.5cm of snow.:rofl:

BBC reports on the severe weather in the South East...

Kent Police said "heavy snowfall" had affected the M20 near Maidstone and conditions were poor on other roads.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
35 minutes ago, jy said:

Its snowing in the SE,some nice pics,some now grumbling its not much,its melting,thats it for this year,after what we get and put up with.....I really don't know what to say lol

You know we'd be the same lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together
18 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

BBC reports on the severe weather in the South East...

Kent Police said "heavy snowfall" had affected the M20 near Maidstone and conditions were poor on other roads.

And METO head forecaster is quoted as saying this below on the BBC website - keep that quote " don't expect to build a snowman" ... - Will this have the jinx of the infamous Michael Fish "no hurricane".comment.. :shok::D... ;)

"Quite a lot of the UK will see some snow as we head through Tuesday, but as it ventures into the Midlands, south-west England and eventually later in the day across south-east England, it's just going to be a few flakes," Mr Snell said.

"Don't expect to build a snowman."

The cold snap is expected to last until next weekend, with milder weather on the way the following week

Capture.JPG

Edited by Polar Bear
image too small

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
Just now, Polar Bear said:

And METO head forecaster is quoted as saying this below - keep that quote " don't expect to build a snowman" ... - Will this have the jinx of the infamous Michael Fish "no hurricane".comment.. :shok::D... ;)

Capture.JPG

Stranger things have happened PB :)

But then I am the extreme of optimists..... I find life a much happier place when I have a positive attitude, so to hell with it, that's the way I'm gonna stay :yahoo:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Chevron12345 said:

6 degrees now. When's the cold snap starting? :)

You must be the warmest location in the UK then lol. 2-4C everwhere else in North Somerset.

Posted
1 minute ago, MP-R said:

You must be the warmest location in the UK then lol. 2-4C everwhere else in North Somerset.

I live in the same village as you. What temperature are you at?

Posted
2 minutes ago, Chevron12345 said:

I live in the same village as you. What temperature are you at?

04.4C with a DP of -3C.

Posted

majority of weather stations showing 3-4 Celsius atm, the odd few 5-6c. It also depends where your station is placed. 

image.thumb.png.20e038876763f2eb97215d6144852031.png

I moved my sensor last night above grass and out of the Jasmine bush so I can get more accurate DP reading, but forgot to put it back this morning, so I know that it will be in direct sunlight right now, which is proving to be the case as temps just shot up!

So I'm very angry with myself right now :angry:

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
5 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

majority of weather stations showing 3-4 Celsius atm, the odd few 5-6c. It also depends where your station is placed. 

image.thumb.png.20e038876763f2eb97215d6144852031.png

I moved my sensor last night above grass and out of the Jasmine bush so I can get more accurate DP reading, but forgot to put it back this morning, so I know that it will be in direct sunlight right now, which is proving to be the case as temps just shot up!

So I'm very angry with myself right now :angry:

Indeed, highest readings will academically be in the more urban areas. Filton showing very similar to here however. I wonder if your weather station / thermometer is favourably placed for accurate readings @Chevron12345.

Posted
5 minutes ago, MP-R said:

04.4C with a DP of -3C.

Well the airport is at 3, so going by its height in relation to our location 5-6 degrees in probably about correct. 

Anyway all temperatures showing as karlos have posted are not that cold really if we are in a cold snap.

Posted
Just now, MP-R said:

Indeed, highest readings will academically be in the more urban areas. Filton showing very similar to here however. I wonder if your weather station / thermometer is favourably placed for accurate readings @Chevron12345.

Certainly is, at 2m in constant shade. I have noticed over the years your temp readings 'around' 2 degrees colder than my weather station and my fathers vantage vue in another part of the village. 

Hey ho, none of temperatures are conducive to snow!

Posted

Well the airport is at 3, so going by its height in relation to our location 5-6 degrees in probably about correct. 

Anyway all temperatures showing as karlos have posted are not that cold really if we are in a cold snap.

Perhaps you should lower your expectations then... This aint Canada :laugh:

It's the same value here in Chichester where I work, and it has snowed this morning very lightly. That to me means we are in a cold spell. 

Annoyingly this line of showers missed me though :wallbash:

image.thumb.png.79708fdcfe0ec2a055628528c30063a1.png

IOW Members should watch with interest as these enter the Solent! Possibly might beef up a tad :)

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted

Lol ok then, best tell all the other weather stations they're wrong then. :rofl:

Posted
1 minute ago, Chevron12345 said:

Sorry but you asked orginally and started this...:) :wallbash:

Don't remember asking anything, just pointing out your temperature reading is too high. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

1.7c here at moment with patchy cloud and ground frost remaining.

All eyes to our west then tonight/tomorrow in hope that our snow doesn't evaporate before making landfall :fool:

• Like 1

Posted

Its turned to a lot of grey cloud here passing over now and again after a blue sky sunny morning.
Temp is dropping from 5c at noon to 4.1c now, NE 8mp wind, 1024.8hPa and falling and for what it is worth dewpoint is falling this afternoon and is 0.1 to 0.3
Wonder if the rain belt showing as approaching on the radar will drop anything, I'm expecting sleet at best for us in the next few hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundersnow
22 minutes ago, Chevron12345 said:

Sorry but you asked orginally and started this...:) :wallbash:

20 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Don't remember asking anything, just pointing out your temperature reading is too high. :D

Thought I was in the Mod thread for a minute! C'mon lads play nice ???

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together
22 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Perhaps you should lower your expectations then... This aint Canada :laugh:

It's the same value here in Chichester where I work, and it has snowed this morning very lightly. That to me means we are in a cold spell. 

Annoyingly this line of showers missed me though :wallbash:

image.thumb.png.79708fdcfe0ec2a055628528c30063a1.png

IOW Members should watch with interest as these enter the Solent! Possibly might beef up a tad :)

:good:My childhood home is Chichester - still family there so I know the weather characteristics well. If it has snowed in Chichester that says a lot! think it maybe to do with the Downs normally it protects Chichester. When rest of the south coast is grey and dull, you can almost bet sunshine over Chichester Harbour and Bognor.. our family have always called it the Thorney Window.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Ashme said:

Thought I was in the Mod thread for a minute! C'mon lads play nice ???

? Strange comment. No falling out as far as i see it. This is certainly not the model thread....they are chasing fantasy SSW 3 weeks away!