Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
3 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

I’ll miss most of the 12z, leaving Chichester at 3:45 to go home. I’ll know fairly quickly if things have gone titsup, as I’m expecting pages of updates if all is good! Nervous journey ahead. ?

So if it’s good you’ll come back to 10 pages and if it’s not there’ll be 1 at most. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
1 minute ago, matt111 said:

So if it’s good you’ll come back to 10 pages and if it’s not there’ll be 1 at most. 

Pretty much! And I’ll be off to the Pub to try and forget this all ever happened!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Eyes down, who's for an upgade :friends:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Sat here trying to design a logo but can’t pull myself away from the weather! Help..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
32 minutes ago, Uncle Gargy said:

I really do hope it snows next week as my daughter is doing her GCSEs this summer and she has never had a day off due to 'bad weather'.

How times have changed, I grew up in the Cotswolds (near Chipping Norton) I don't think a single winter passed without having at least a day or two off school due to snow. It was fairly common for Chippy town hall to be turned into an overnight hostel for stuck lorry drivers.

Posted
2 minutes ago, jethro said:

How times have changed, I grew up in the Cotswolds (near Chipping Norton) I don't think a single winter passed without having at least a day or two off school due to snow. It was fairly common for Chippy town hall to be turned into an overnight hostel for stuck lorry drivers.

I used to ride my bike through the deep snow. The only time I failed to move through it was during the 80s event where the snow had drifted so deep it came above the wheel hub - and that was in the middle of town. It was many feet deep on the hills.

Posted
4 minutes ago, EllyTech said:

I used to ride my bike through the deep snow. The only time I failed to move through it was during the 80s event where the snow had drifted so deep it came above the wheel hub - and that was in the middle of town. It was many feet deep on the hills.

And lucky old me lived on top of a hill :-) Drifts of 20ft or more, it was bloody brilliant and lasted for weeks. Quite surreal at times, was a young farmer back then and we were booked for carol singing in local villages on Christmas eve, only way to do it was on ski's. It looked so odd to come out of church and see rows of ski's propped against the walls and deep snow cover, like being in the alps instead of Great Tew.

• Like 1

Posted

God strewth, I pop into here to say it hasn't been a bad day only to find a load chionophiles reminiscing. Right, I remember struggling to school in '47 up to my neck in snow (of course I wasn't very tall) and the less said about 62-3 the better.

Posted
3 minutes ago, knocker said:

God strewth, I pop into here to say it hasn't been a bad day only to find a load chionophiles reminiscing. Right, I remember struggling to school in '47 up to my neck in snow (of course I wasn't very tall) and the less said about 62-3 the better.

No one likes a show off you know :p It's been a lovely day here, dry, sunny and a bit breezy, perfect digging weather and hopefully more of the same tomorrow.

Posted
4 hours ago, Smartie said:

Who knows this could end up being great for the South West with fronts stalling and dumping loads of snow, we can but dream eh :D

The first fall of snow is not only an event but a magical event.  You go to bed in one kind of world and wake up in another quite different and if this is not enchantment then where is it to be found.   JB Priestley.

Nothing wrong with dreaming.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

My giddy aunt long way out but based on the output (all subject to change) but looking good for snow on Tuesday and then Friday. Might actually pay to be further west this time! Someone somewhere surly hit the jackpot if that front coming over Tuesday stalls, only concern is that will the front fizzle out before it gets here, will the welsh mountains do its usual trick, will it snow in Cardiff, will the wife still be here after 5 days of incessant chart and forum viewing.....

• Like 1

Posted

Nice sunny dry day today, although its been around the 8c mark all day, it felt warmer.

January rain total was 81.8mm, fairly average month. But its the stronger winds that has been high in January here for many a year.

Liking the sleet/snow next Tue/wed/thur and light snow next Friday for us.
Certainly looking to be a colder week next week, well around -1 to 2c for us.

Edited by lettice

Posted

I wonder whether this prospective cold spell will downgrade significantly over the next couple of days? Not being fooled like previous output. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Jason74 said:

I wonder whether this prospective cold spell will downgrade significantly over the next couple of days? Not being fooled like previous output. 

I think it will. As usual, people in the MAD thread are too excited too early..

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, Jason74 said:

Already begun in the MAD thread.   Fronts are not gonna get this far east.  Yes they will.  No they wont.  Looks to dry to me No it isn't yes it is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
19 minutes ago, khodds said:

I think it will. As usual, people in the MAD thread are too excited too early..

I can feel myself getting sucked in too though :wallbash:

Posted
9 minutes ago, kent said:

Already begun in the MAD thread.   Fronts are not gonna get this far east.  Yes they will.  No they wont.  Looks to dry to me No it isn't yes it is.

It's like rinse and repeat. The whole thing will get watered down and be a disappointment for most concerned. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Jason74 said:

It's like rinse and repeat. The whole thing will get watered down and be a disappointment for most concerned. 

Not sure if it will get watered down but I bet if we get the cold air the ppn will end up no where near the west country... :wallbash:

Posted
17 minutes ago, Nights King said:

I can feel myself getting sucked in too though :wallbash:

Same here sadly! Tuning in to every model run... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Is it safe to look people ? 

Posted
Just now, karlos1983 said:

Is it safe to look people ? 

Yes and no... very cold air yes but all ppn is held out to the west of us now :cc_confused: