Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 19/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
8 minutes ago, khodds said:

Yes - what the heck do we do if we have no power and are knee deep in snow?! 

For weeeeeks on end ... I guess I need to buy more hot water bottles! There is only 1 in the house

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
3 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

For weeeeeks on end ... I guess I need to buy more hot water bottles! There is only 1 in the house

But what would we use to warm the water?! I’m off to buy camping gas... ?

3 minutes ago, Sidsnake said:

Hello Khodds...I've nipped over from the South East thread.  Yes I'm getting the same response from my husband who thinks its rubbish and my neighbour would refuse to believe it and would work of the premise of talking it down so it doesn't happen ?.  Well I'd personally rather be a bit aware of what could happen so I can make contingency plans.  Best... 

Hiya! Definitely - I’m preparing now! ...I do like to forward plan these things! The non believers will maybe listen up if it happens!!

Edited by khodds
  • Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

I'm out at 6am in sub zero temps pretty regularly. I wear a vest, short sleeved T,long sleeved T, hoody, puffa jacket. Scarf, hat and ski gloves. I generally wear leggings and trainers but if it's really cold I have trackies on top,welly socks and Ugg boots. That does me a 1km walk to work, part of it quite exposed. I'm fine until I get wet but I always keep spare gym kit at work in case and luckily have access to a hot shower

My usual fare is thermal vest, thermal longsleeved thin top, knitted jumper and then my puffa coat on top with scarf, hat and gloves and 2 pairs of socks for snow with wellies. I don't have decent snow footwear ...

Posted
Just now, *Stormforce~beka* said:

My usual fare is thermal vest, thermal longsleeved thin top, knitted jumper and then my puffa coat on top with scarf, hat and gloves and 2 pairs of socks for snow with wellies. I don't have decent snow footwear ...

I’m thinking either walking boots and gaiters or my snow boots that I bought when the last cold spell was meant to hit (but didn’t) a few years ago!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
9 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

This is why I want to know what now so I can order online quick!!

Depends on budget really, cheapest option is thermal undies then layers on top. If you're going to buy fleece tops go for polar tech, if you're going for woolly jumpers then alpaca is warmer than cashmere and cheaper. Thermal socks inside waterproof boots if you're going out, if budget stretches then neoprene lined wellies are amazing. They're expensive but look at them as a lifetime investment, you'll never need another pair recommend Aigel ones. Woolly tights under jeans keep your legs warm, fleecy hat & gloves topped off with wind proof jacket and you'll be fine so long as you dodge the polar bears.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
8 minutes ago, festivalking said:

This is why I'm thinking of moving my wednesday is get excited day back to Friday. We've all seen it go pear shaped inside 3 days.  I might ramp it up once its been and done and gone mild again. 

LOL yes I think dusting the sledges off should wait until Friday!! It is only Tuesday? And not that we need reminding about “ThatECM” do we @That ECM , but it still hurts to this day!! That was at +72 from memory when it went tits up. Although I think with not quite the same background signals. 

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, khodds said:

But what would we use to warm the water?! I’m off to buy camping gas... ?

Hiya! Definitely - I’m preparing now! ...I do like to forward plan these things! The non believers will maybe listen up if it happens!!

We have a gas hob so should be ok on that front :-) Need more salt, more suitable clothing for the kids and snow shoes maybe instead of wellies?! Although this feels over kill for a couple of weeks wear?

Posted
19 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Please can someone tell me what real clothes are? :( I feel so dumb lol!

Thin Layers are great and lots of them. If you've got thermals, even better, if not tights/leggings under trousers etc but a good waterproof winter jacket, gloves, scarf and hat etc, are a must oh and waterproof boots with a good grip. It all sounds a bit over the top but having been to New York recently, the biting wind could cut you in half, even our faces needed to be covered. Cold weather gear is pretty cheap online at the mo if fancy splashing out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Well this sucks!!!

27960A95-A431-4D1B-BBCA-A78D84538A20.thumb.png.e489b65bb5ee026fbd4f4fcdbd65bb90.png

Posted

I’m thinking either walking boots and gaiters or my snow boots that I bought when the last cold spell was meant to hit (but didn’t) a few years ago!

I have none of the above! lol. How the hell am I going to do school run?! :-D CAn't push the pushchair in that!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
2 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Well this sucks!!!

27960A95-A431-4D1B-BBCA-A78D84538A20.thumb.png.e489b65bb5ee026fbd4f4fcdbd65bb90.png

You’ve already run out? :shok:

Edited by matt111
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, jethro said:

Depends on budget really, cheapest option is thermal undies then layers on top. If you're going to buy fleece tops go for polar tech, if you're going for woolly jumpers then alpaca is warmer than cashmere and cheaper. Thermal socks inside waterproof boots if you're going out, if budget stretches then neoprene lined wellies are amazing. They're expensive but look at them as a lifetime investment, you'll never need another pair recommend Aigel ones. Woolly tights under jeans keep your legs warm, fleecy hat & gloves topped off with wind proof jacket and you'll be fine so long as you dodge the polar bears.

Perfect. I am 7 stone, all bones and skin so really need the thick stuff. I layer up kinda already and am still cold so I would rather go for the proper stuff. What thermal socks are best? I am wearing tights under my cord trousers right now and socks on top and my feet are like ice.

Posted
3 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

We have a gas hob so should be ok on that front :-) Need more salt, more suitable clothing for the kids and snow shoes maybe instead of wellies?! Although this feels over kill for a couple of weeks wear?

But (and this is probably a dumb question), do gas hobs still work if the power is out?

2 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Well this sucks!!!

Welcome to my world ?

1 minute ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I have none of the above! lol. How the hell am I going to do school run?! :-D CAn't push the pushchair in that!

SLEDGE! I did this in 2010. I even took the sledge to the supermarket and bought shopping back on it!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme
4 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

LOL yes I think dusting the sledges off should wait until Friday!! It is only Tuesday? And not that we need reminding about “ThatECM” do we @That ECM , but it still hurts to this day!! That was at +72 from memory when it went tits up. Although I think with not quite the same background signals. 

There is a SSW this time so its highly likely to impact somewhere , there is always a chance it could miss us though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Talking of supermarkets, better start watching for the de-icer and snow shovels appearing in position by the entrance. Wonder how long it’ll take them to come round to the idea. 

Edited by matt111

Posted
5 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

There won't be a school run. :)

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Sidsnake said:

Hello Khodds...I've nipped over from the South East thread.  Yes I'm getting the same response from my husband who thinks its rubbish and my neighbour would refuse to believe it and would work of the premise of talking it down so it doesn't happen ?.  Well I'd personally rather be a bit aware of what could happen so I can make contingency plans.  Best... 

Haa Haa I just tentatively asked my husband if the cars had antifreeze in them and if our pipes were lagged, admittedly I didn't say why, because I'd just get laughed at, but instead of an answer I got an ear bashing about how over the top I am. Hmmmmmmm........... time will tell. I'm really willing this to happen now. :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme
Just now, matt111 said:

Talking of supermarkets, better start watching for the de-over and snow shovels appearing in position by the entrance. Wonder how long it’ll take them to come round to the idea. 

Probably none in stock lol.......

• Like 1

Posted
  5 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Isn't a safety feature that if the electric is cut off , i.e. the ignition points are powerless that the gas is stopped?

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Perfect. I am 7 stone, all bones and skin so really need the thick stuff. I layer up kinda already and am still cold so I would rather go for the proper stuff. What thermal socks are best? I am wearing tights under my cord trousers right now and socks on top and my feet are like ice.

Socks are all fairly similar so go for the cheapest. Of the list of things I'd say keeping your feet warm is the most important, if they're cold the rest of you will be, don't bother with snow boots they'll sit in the cupboard for years, go for the wellies. And a good hat. Work I wear fleece gloves, home & out and about it's proper sheepskin, can't beat it.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, matt111 said:

Talking of supermarkets, better start watching for the de-icer and snow shovels appearing in position by the entrance. Wonder how long it’ll take them to come round to the idea. 

Tesco took theirs away last week and have garden items and trampolines there now

Posted
Just now, Dorsetbred said:

Tesco took theirs away last week and have garden items and trampolines there now

:oops:

Posted
4 minutes ago, SNOW CRYSTAL said:

Thin Layers are great and lots of them. If you've got thermals, even better, if not tights/leggings under trousers etc but a good waterproof winter jacket, gloves, scarf and hat etc, are a must oh and waterproof boots with a good grip. It all sounds a bit over the top but having been to New York recently, the biting wind could cut you in half, even our faces needed to be covered. Cold weather gear is pretty cheap online at the mo if fancy splashing out.

What do you use to cover your face? I have this one: https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/thaw-womens-down-3-in-1-jacket-p16817.aspx/ but I found it too thin.

So I brought this one - is it waterproof enough? ... https://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/womens-skyline-parka

I have no decent footwear. Hmmm ...

Posted

Isn't a safety feature that if the electric is cut off , i.e. the ignition points are powerless that the gas is stopped?

No, just the ignition goes. Turn on as normal but light with a match, works fine and totally safe.

• Like 1

Posted

? HAHA!! Oh my god. Let’s go any buy any stock up - sell it next week we would make a killing! 

My morrisons has de-icer at the front door but that’s it